PDA

View Full Version : Spring question

oo-gonzo
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
94 GT, Car has been lowered. Tight handle, but rides hard on rough roads. I hate it. I know nothing about springs, ect.. As far as I can tell, the rear springs are red with some numbers printed small on one of the turns. This has to be aftermarket. Can't tell anything about the front. I was thinking about going back to stock springs, but got to thinking. Is there something I could do to keep the tight handle yet soften the ride?

uvbnhad
11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Better shocks/struts would help

Sendero
11-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm going to take a WAG that the springs on your car are Eibach sport springs. Without the actual part number, its just a guess.

What you're looking for is a "matched set" of springs and struts/shocks. Spring and shocks are a system and if one part of that system doesn't match the other part of the system, you get less than optimal performance. For example, if you place a 800lb spring on a shock designed for a 400lb spring your going to get a lot of bone jarring "hops" as you run over rises in the pavement. The shock cannot slow the rebound motion of the spring because the spring is "twice as strong". Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that a superstiff spring always equates to a rougher ride, that is a false statement because the entire system determines the ride.

Be careful about modifying the suspension because it can be a slippery slope. Anything more than 1.5" drop on the SN95's require caster/camber plates and struts/shocks designed for the drop. I'll go ahead and tell you that many people will disagree with that statement, but ask them how long their front tires last and what happens when they hit a bump with the wheel turned. Last time I checked, having the car steer itself while you're doing 60mph on a offramp is not a good thing.

Also, don't be afraid to spend a little coin on buying good parts. Cheap parts (like off-brand chinese springs and shocks) only band-aide problems for a short time.

If you are looking for just Springs and Shocks/Struts, the Eibach Pro-Kit (link) (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_17_296&products_id=949) is a good choice. But if you would like a little upgrade to that the MM Starter Kit (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8_65&products_id=185) is a very good investment.

oo-gonzo
11-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Thank you!