PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft balancing???????????

bill302
11-26-2006, 04:17 PM
where can i get my driveshaft balanced in the etowah or surrounding county area???????????

Italian LX
11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
There is someplace in B'ham that does it. I've never been there, but Tracy had hers done there according to this thread:

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=3181

Check out page 3 of the above thread. The place is called Birmingham Spring and apparently they do it for $40.

bill302
11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
There is someplace in B'ham that does it. I've never been there, but Tracy had hers done there according to this thread:

http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=3181

Check out page 3 of the above thread. The place is called Birmingham Spring and apparently they do it for $40.

thanks i'll givem a call,Birmingham Spring is the name of the place, i have an frpp aluminum driveshaft but i had to change the yolk to a 31 spline yolk and add a spacer to insert in my tko500 i think thats what threw the balance off the aluminum one has less than 1000 miles on it....

slvrbullit
11-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I think that you will find that it is not the driveshaft. It is that you are installing a TKO in a 94 up stang. Everyone I have seen here and on stangnet have had the vibration problem including me. I got it to disipate some by shimming up the tail of the trans to the point that the trans is against the top of the trans tunnel noww and there is still a vibration.

Here is what I have tried:
drive shaft spacer - no help
new U joints - no help
Rotating the driveshaft - again no help
shimming up the tail - little help but ran out of room

Only thing that I have not tried but was told to do by D&D was to use the stock tranny mount.

Good luck with getting rid of the vibration and keep us posted.

04 Mach1
11-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Bill it is most likely not the drive shaft as slvrbullit has stated. If you drove the car with out a vibration then installed the tko and now have a vibration that pretty much canceles out the driveshaft.

bill302
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Bill it is most likely not the drive shaft as slvrbullit has stated. If you drove the car with out a vibration then installed the tko and now have a vibration that pretty much canceles out the driveshaft.

now i had to install a new yolk could that throw the balance off...

bill302
11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I think that you will find that it is not the driveshaft. It is that you are installing a TKO in a 94 up stang. Everyone I have seen here and on stangnet have had the vibration problem including me. I got it to disipate some by shimming up the tail of the trans to the point that the trans is against the top of the trans tunnel noww and there is still a vibration.

Here is what I have tried:
drive shaft spacer - no help
new U joints - no help
Rotating the driveshaft - again no help
shimming up the tail - little help but ran out of room

Only thing that I have not tried but was told to do by D&D was to use the stock tranny mount.

Good luck with getting rid of the vibration and keep us posted.

slvrbullit at what speed do you have this vibration, i have 3.73 rear end gears and i feel a small vibration at approx 76 mph at about 2700 rpm's.is it safe to drive at these speeds its a slight vibration that cannot even be heard unless the windows are rolled up and completely quiet inside even with the heater blower on with you can't hear it?

QWKSNKE
11-28-2006, 04:03 AM
slvrbullit at what speed do you have this vibration, i have 3.73 rear end gears and i feel a small vibration at approx 76 mph at about 2700 rpm's.is it safe to drive at these speeds its a slight vibration that cannot even be heard unless the windows are rolled up and completely quiet inside even with the heater blower on with you can't hear it?

That's not bad then. I am pretty sure the vibration that slvrbullit is referring to is at a way lower speed than that

coupe
11-28-2006, 07:06 AM
SLVRBULLIT's vibration is like 65...then goes away around 80. The shifter shakes too, so it's under the tunnel.

Bill302, yours almost sounds like a tire needing a balance. I would double check the tires, even if it's just on a bubble-balancer.

bill302
11-29-2006, 10:32 PM
SLVRBULLIT's vibration is like 65...then goes away around 80. The shifter shakes too, so it's under the tunnel.

Bill302, yours almost sounds like a tire needing a balance. I would double check the tires, even if it's just on a bubble-balancer.

thanks, im going to get my tires balanced i will post results see ya in a few days 04 MACH1 for a tire balance...