PDA

View Full Version : 95 vert 5.0

tayzoid1
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
hey im thinking about buying a 95 5.0 vert and i was wondering i heard somewhere that from the favtory it have forged in ternals im not sure wheather im right or not but iwas wonting to run a supersharger w/o opening up the motor the only thing is it has 180k but i also heard that the blocks and the rings they put in from the factory held up very well for high milage somthing about the amout of lead or zinc or sumthin ffrom where thay made the block but i need to know how much boost i can run w/o blowin her up becaus im gonna be using it as an every day driver any help is appriciated

joker
02-01-2007, 12:27 PM
hey im thinking about buying a 95 5.0 vert and i was wondering i heard somewhere that from the favtory it have forged in ternals im not sure wheather im right or not but iwas wonting to run a supersharger w/o opening up the motor the only thing is it has 180k but i also heard that the blocks and the rings they put in from the factory held up very well for high milage somthing about the amout of lead or zinc or sumthin ffrom where thay made the block but i need to know how much boost i can run w/o blowin her up becaus im gonna be using it as an every day driver any help is appriciated

No, the 95 5.0's did not have forged internals. The fox body cars had forged goodies from 89 to 92, but the sn95 gt's never had them from the factory.

coupe
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
You will be fine if you keep it under 500hp.
Anything over 500 and it's lifespan will be determined by the tune and your maturity level.

The fox body cars had forged goodies from 89 to 92
The pistons were forged from '85 to '92 I believe. The cranks have never been forged from the factory, and the rods...I'm honestly not 100% sure. Judging by the way rods are made, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forged...it's simply not much more expensive to forge them in volume than to cast them...especially for an "H.O."application like the 5.0L. Regardless, the 5.0L rods are not bad, and can live a while at 500hp...again, the criteria above will determine how long.

94five0
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
your grammar makes me weep..

Craig K.
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Matt I am nearly 100% sure that you are right that the forge pistons started in 1985, along with the roller cam and tube style headers.

I am pretty sure that the rods are not "forged", I have remachined several sets, and ground down on many, and they cut a lot easier than a forged rod.

But I have been known to be wrong once, or maybe twice....

TheJeanyus
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
your grammar makes me weep..
:werd: And that spelling makes baby Jesus cry.

joker
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
You will be fine if you keep it under 500hp.
Anything over 500 and it's lifespan will be determined by the tune and your maturity level.

The pistons were forged from '85 to '92 I believe. The cranks have never been forged from the factory, and the rods...I'm honestly not 100% sure. Judging by the way rods are made, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forged...it's simply not much more expensive to forge them in volume than to cast them...especially for an "H.O."application like the 5.0L. Regardless, the 5.0L rods are not bad, and can live a while at 500hp...again, the criteria above will determine how long.Your right Matt, they came with only forged pistons, not rods or crank. Guess I didnt think before I replied this afternoon, its been a crazy day.

coupe
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Yea, I really don't know. But I've seen some impressive power from stock rods. Joker, I know you knew... :nice:

grammer
spelling

Yea...tayzoid1, you really ought to proofread your post before FIRING the enter button. :p

QWKSNKE
02-02-2007, 05:00 AM
If the stock bottom end still has good compression and nothing smokes then I agree that you can add a power adder without worrying. I would keep it less than 450rwhp with that kind of mileage