PDA

View Full Version : project Granny Sled

ncontt
02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
well, I guess I'll post this up now, I have had it since 7-15-06. Not near as much work done on it as I'd like, but I'm getting there.

basic info:
79 ford fairmont with 85,750 miles (original) purchased for $200 (yes that's two HUNDRED) and drove it up onto the trailer! ;) Got it home, unhooked it, drove it off the trailer and down the street, had my 12 year old drive it back home (tense moment turning into the driveway, culvert on either side and a fairly large buckeye tree right there too! :eek:)

according to the South Carolina Title it weighs 2800lbs...
If I can keep it close to that with the setup I'm wanting in there I'll be quite pleased.

Removed the front bench seat and found a TI-84 graphing calculator...practically new, put on ebay, sold for $50 in approx. 1.5 hours (total purchase price now at $150), sold transmission for $75, now down to $75 plus approx $150 in diesel fuel to get car and come back=$225 total

Parts being used from my 92 coupe project:

built AOD
B50 based low (turbo friendly) compression 331
rear disk brake setup from 96GT w/31 spl mosers, new t-loc, new 3.27
ALL wiring harnesses (front to back) from 90GT
dash out of 90GT
heater box, a/c stuff from 90GT
steering column out of 90GT
brake booster (can't remember what year)
K-member 90GT
5 way Tokicko Illumina's
5lug swap
center console from 90 GT
stock shifter from AOD
Maximum Motorsports CC plates
Upr Coilover kit 12/250 springs
Sumped tank with twin inline GSS392 pumps (255lph)
Aeromotive inline filters (10 micron and 100 micron)
-08 pushlok feed, -06 pushlok return
Holley Systemax upper/lower
MSD coil
PonyDown stage 3 Turbo kit with Master Power T70 turbo .96A/R

Parts I have added

Clear turn signal lamps from 78 Fairmont (the only year they came on) instead of amber
gas hood shocks

Parts I have removed

body moulding
bumper supports (bumpers are ALUMINUM)
all the factory "sound deadener"
factory parking brake setup

And now for some pictures
http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/mont_on_17_in_bullitts_444.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/mont_center_console_126.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/center_console_mocked_up_738.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/cleanead_off_mont_959.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/pickin_up_mont_small_157.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/starting_with_this_974.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/small_front_shot_with_clears_164.jpg

bullitts will not be on it, trading my 18"saleens for Mach 1 rims/tires and some $$$$ :pimp: just to keep the old school look

QWKSNKE
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
LOL...

I don't know why but I like the car and what you are doing. Please keep this thread alive :nice:

ncontt
02-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I will, the minute I got rid of my mustang I started looking for a fairmont/zephyr/ltd and my buddy stumbled across this one on craigslist in South Carolina, I emailed them just to make sure the $200 asking price wasn't a misprint....it wasn't and I asked them "how do I get the $$$ to you?" LOL

ncontt
02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
It will be getting a BIG single here one of these days...(my wife promised me one when I sold my twin kit...lol) and by GOD I'm going to hold her to it!!!!

EZ SPEED
02-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Cool Project !!

I like to be different myself, thats why I build the Lightning Trucks. :nice:

Evil_Capri
02-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Very cool!! :nice:

I have thoughts of doing much of the same to a Fairmont Wagon one day!

04 Mach1
02-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Cool project!!!

I want to do the same to a pinto station wagon.

ncontt
02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Very cool!! :nice:

I have thoughts of doing much of the same to a Fairmont Wagon one day!

that's what I really wanted, but this one came up first, and just couldn't see passing it up for 200 bucks...lol

Wicked
02-12-2007, 08:19 AM
That is cool dude. I am building a turbocharged minivan with a road race suspension and roll cage. So you're not the only person turning a family vehicle into a hotrod.

ncontt
02-12-2007, 09:10 PM
awesome, that would definetly hurt some feelings there

Wicked
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
awesome, that would definetly hurt some feelings there

It has....vettes, porsches, lotuses...and that was before the turbo.

ncontt
02-14-2007, 05:32 AM
lol, gotta love it.

Haven't done much lately, got the lower intake port matched to the 1262 on my heads and then matched the top part to the plate kit (on both upper and lower), it wasn't much but made it even anyway. Got the lower installed. I am still trying to figure out whether to use the stock tank and put a 255 inline/tap the filler neck for the return, OR to use a tank out of a 84-86 CFI LTD wagon (it's the only one with fuel inj. that will fit the floorpan in back correctly w/o cutting/fabbing). Everytime I get some momentum the weather turns cold....:blah:

Wicked
02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Pretty sweet!

ncontt
03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
got the motor/trans/trans cooler in and installed the rims, just need some new rotors. Just have do a little fab work on the trans cross member mounting tabs and get that straight, then it's on to plumbing the fuel lines.....driveshaft and some misc. wiring

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/mont_low_angle_front_953.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/mont_front_with_trans_cooler_700.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/mont_side_03_mach_rims_122.jpg

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/motor_in_new_home_560.jpg

QWKSNKE
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
What kind of setup did you install Brad?

ncontt
03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
It's my sportsman block 331 low "turbo friendly" compression block with eagle h beams, scat crank, probe pistons, TFS stage 2 cam and heads ported to 1262's then gt40 upper and lower, edelbrock gear drive w/danny bee roller bearing thingy on it..;). very well built AOD setup with a 3500 stall (about to get an art car valve body), tokicko Illumina's all around, 96 GT rear with new 31 spline mosers/tracklock with extra clutches & heavy duty spring, 3.27 gears (again turbo friendly), stock springs for now, till I can swing the tubular setup/cc plates up front....oh did I mention the GT40 big shot plate kit? 150 jets in it for now, until the next turbo goes on. I feel like I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out...
but that's the short list

ncontt
03-04-2007, 07:50 PM
plate kit will be "stealth modified" for prying eyes

ncontt
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
update 3/10/07
drilled out spot welds holding the stock fairmont trans x-member in and will reweld in a mustang/AOD friendly spot

3/11/07
blacked out the grille today....will get it mounted here in the next few days..I also need to install the "remote" mustang style hood release as I have already mounted the mustang latch assembly

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/muh_grille_334.jpg

ncontt
03-17-2007, 07:12 AM
3/16/07
blacked grille/headlight surrounds fitted for pictures

http://www.street-machines.org/phpBB2/files/grille_blacked_out_994.jpg

CrazyInBlack
03-19-2007, 08:40 AM
damn I was hoping to one day have a sleeper/sleeper race, but at the rate you are going I am not going to have a chance

QWKSNKE
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
What are your plans for the interior? Are you keeping the bench seat or going to some type of buckets? Just curious because it looked like you had modified about a 1/3 of the mustang console already?

What size wheels will fit on the back?

ncontt
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
What are your plans for the interior? Are you keeping the bench seat or going to some type of buckets? Just curious because it looked like you had modified about a 1/3 of the mustang console already? What size wheels will fit on the back?

Lee, plans for the interior, for right NOW, are that I will run the factory 79 Fairmont bench seat, until I get some either (A)Racing buckets, Corbeau's etc., OR (B) some mid 80's bucket Fairmont/LTD seats with armrests/center console. You are correct sir....we cut a stock MUSTANG, 1990 vintage center console just AFTER where the stock shifter goes. I am going with a Performance Automatic's manual VB with trans brake and O/D on the switch and using the stock shifter for now. The rims for now are 03 MACH I's 17 X8 with 255's if I'm not mistaken.

here is a link to the work we got done today. WORK ACCOMPLISHED ON 5/06/07 (http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/) <------LINKAGE

we put the trunk pan/tank/cover/straps out of a 90 stang in the 79 fairmont to make it work with the 90 dash/gauges that are in there....let me know what you think

Brad

ncontt
05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
also nitrous kit is gone and GT4082 turbo will be going in it's place. but need to get it running N/A first...hoping to upgrade that turbo to a GTS76 Q trim...if I can talk my buddy out of it....:crosses fingers:

ujslost
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I love it!

ChipR4cam
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I just caught up on this thread. Awesome project man.:yup:

ncontt
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks, another couple thrashing sessions and it should be ready to fire up. I can't wait.

Dale McPeters
05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Nice job Brad!!!
That is what I call a sleeper....:)

ncontt
05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Nice job Brad!!!
That is what I call a sleeper....:)

Thanks Dale, hope to get it going one of these days....sucks not having any time, wife is in first year of Pediatric Residency and worked 115+ hours last week and is in the last of her FOUR weekends in a row (which is a violation of the duty hour rule as far as we can figure)(you're allegedly supposed to get one 24 hour period AWAY from the hospital per 7 days.....average<----this may be the kicker) so I get to pick up slack around the house, and running my new landscaping business along with sons school and baseball games etc....we all know how demands on time pile up. SOON though...very soon, it's really only about a good weekend or maybe 2 away from firing up and sorting through the inevitable bugs. Then it will be on like POPCORN:popcorn: :metal:

NO2MORO
05-19-2007, 07:35 PM
that car will make a great sleeper. I saw one just like it at a show in pensacola. It was packing a 98up 4.6sohc with a novi supercharger, mated to a 5speed manual trans.

ncontt
05-20-2007, 06:09 PM
that car will make a great sleeper. I saw one just like it at a show in pensacola. It was packing a 98up 4.6sohc with a novi supercharger, mated to a 5speed manual trans.

now that would :metal: :metal: I have a 4.6 that's taking up space in my shop....needs rebuilt but that thought had crossed my mind...

93Cobra#2771
05-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Looking good!

ncontt
08-25-2007, 07:06 PM
got the driveshaft in today, got the hole cut for the stock shifter (for now), got the cables hooked up to the trans. I then had to put the bushings in under the shock towers for the front struts since I forgot to put them in the first time. All was well on the pass side, went to the drivers side, had the wheel off and the car on ramps in the back and jackstand in the front (subframe)....you may see where this is going already :(..... go to crank off the top nut on the strut with the impact gun....when BAM!!!! The nut shoots off, the washer goes flying and the strut/A-Arm assembly flop off to the side !!!! $HIT....There goes my brand new steel braided brake line...POP. Dumba$$ that I am I forgot to slide the jack up under the a-arm to keep pressure on the spring. So that was my stupid act for the day. Now I have to find another steel braided line for the front. BLAH. Oh well, at least I got the bushing back up in there....

93Cobra#2771
08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Well, that sux, but I suppose it could have been worse...

ncontt
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, that sux, but I suppose it could have been worse...

absolutely, I could have lost/broke a leg if that spring would have came out. I guess I'm fortunate that it was "only" a brand new Russell's stainless line...I am getting closer step by step though.

swannracer
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
reminds me of the big block fairmont my dad and i built for drag racing .
the car was to much fun and an easy way for me to bring the cops to the house (burnouts in frount of house)

ncontt
09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
reminds me of the big block fairmont my dad and i built for drag racing .
the car was to much fun and an easy way for me to bring the cops to the house (burnouts in frount of house)

burnouts for TEH WIN :metal:

ncontt
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow, can't believe it's been a month and no update. Car is now at my house and I have got more work done in the last 3 days then I have in the last 3 months. It helps I only have to walk out the door and work on it as long/short as I'd like instead of driving 40+mins each way.

~Got all the wiring issues fixed, orange and blue wire was for the power to the fuel pump relay, it needed a fusible link put on the starter solenoid end of the wire and then to be attached to the 12V side of the solenoid.

~The red/blue stripe of the little wire that goes to the starter solenoid needed the grounding plug installed in the wiring harness up under the dash.

~Driveshaft and safety loop are installed

~Front brake line is fixed and just needs to be bled again.

~Made mounting brackets/tabs for electric fan

~Fixed valve cover clearance issues with RR's (inside), and Cobra intake (outside)

~Installed throttle cable

~Set timing (TDC), dist, was 180* out

~Installed plugs/wires

~reinstalled cobra upper intake

Still left to do:
~mount shifter in proper location DONE
~adjust shifter cable DONE
~hook up TV cable and set properly
~hook up exhaust DONE
~recheck vac. lines for loose, missing lines
~EITHER drill/tap #5 runner of ACT sensor OR extend wires and install in intake tract DONE
~Go to JY and get stock intake tube from MAF to TB
~get another PS pump or plug lines OR get a manual rack
~finish DIY alignment

89five0Gt
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
how is the project coming along ? :popcorn:

ncontt
03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
lol
SLOW AS HELL, my business is/has been busy as hell therefore I have no time, when I have time I have no MONEY and when I have money...the weather sucks. We were supposed to go to bradenton this w/e for the NMRA opener, but might work on the mont trying to get it ready to "possibly" run truestreet at the NMRA event at Reynolds, Ga in April...:crosses fingers:

ncontt
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
see edit's above, that's about the extent of the progress :(

banditmwp
03-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know how i missed this for over a year...damn cool project!

ncontt
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't know how i missed this for over a year...damn cool project!

thanks...may have some time this coming w/e to work on it...

ncontt
04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
*****UPDATE***** 4-10-08

Got it to run and stay running for a second...but got worried when fuel pressure went to and stayed at 70 PSI :eek: At first we couldn't get the TPS voltage to register anything less than 5+ volts on 2 of the 3 wires so we spliced a ground into pin #46 of the main harness coming out of the computer, and went straight to the frame where we grounded the computer. Thought the starter was bad as everytime we went to try and start it, it would try to KEEP on cranking even when the key was released to the "run" position, got that figured out (new ignition switch, AND starter solenoid was sticking as it was mounted UPSIDE down on the underside of the fender apron (in fenderwell) NOW mounted to the area BEHIND the batter on inner fender well. Plugs were getting fouled like a MFR as well (with 70PSI) so we replaced them.

Also got the exhaust brackets fabbed/mounted and exhaust is DONE for now (till I get some more $$$ for some nice borlas or dynomax ultraflos.

Once we get the pump/regulator issue fixed we can get the timing set properly and then get relay etc for the electric fan and tidy up the interior and then it's time to go bust some A$$e$ :)

banditmwp
04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
:pics:

ncontt
04-10-2008, 11:03 PM

no bat rees in the camera...lol....

Dale McPeters
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
no bat rees in the camera...lol....

You need to get some bat rees for the camera.....:jester:

And a short video clip of it at idle...:)

ncontt
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM
You need to get some bat rees for the camera.....:jester:

And a short video clip of it at idle...:)

once I get the high fuel pressure issue resolved (70 PSI) I'll let it run long enough to set the timing...as it sits it is fouling plugs out QUICKLY. I think as others have suggested that the return line may be the culprit...with a bend/crimp or some other obstruction. If it's raining here tomorrow I'll see if I can take a look at it. Spring is here and my landscaping bidness is going full bore.

EHardy1971
04-13-2008, 01:48 PM
At first we couldn't get the TPS voltage to register anything less than 5+ volts on 2 of the 3 wires so we spliced a ground into pin #46

I had the same problem when I did the V8 conversion to my coupe!

ncontt
04-14-2008, 06:03 AM
I had the same problem when I did the V8 conversion to my coupe!

Thank the LORD my buddy who'd run into this before was here helping me...I NEVER would have figured that out...lol Let's just say that wiring is not my strongsuit

Dale McPeters
04-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Still waiting on pictures.....:jester:

ncontt
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
gotcha covered Dale....

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/DSCF0005-2.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/DSCF0003-1.jpg

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/?action=view&current=DSCF0006-3.flv

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/?action=view&current=DSCF0007-3.flv

ujslost
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh shit I love fairmonts! Good luck man!

ncontt
05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
preciate it....just need to get the idle to quit surging and get some gauges up and going (trans temp, FP, oil press, and water temp) and still waiting on my DC Controller to get here so I can hook up the fan

EHardy1971
05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Sounds good!,but is that a gear drive,or the (typical for Ford) P/S pump whining? Badass little sleeper you got going there man!:nice:

ncontt
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
lol...it's the Edelbrock "noisy" gear drive...and they don't lie when they say NOISY....lol

EHardy1971
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Well,you won't fool those who are "In the know" at any redlights!:D

ncontt
05-09-2008, 04:55 AM
it sounds like a buddy of mines old S-Trim that had the bearings going out on it..lol

89five0Gt
05-09-2008, 07:15 AM
awesome....i love that thing

banditmwp
05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
:metal:

Dale McPeters
05-09-2008, 08:18 AM
gotcha covered Dale....

Brad,

That is just a cool project. Very clean installation and it just looks good!! :metal:

Keep up the good work!!

ncontt
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
preciate it man...I need to get that residual glue/foam off the drivers side from the moulding that was on there. Need to get the interior tidied up (needs new carpet :( ), Need to wire up something other than the idiot gauges and track some grounds down under the dash :yay: :( DC Controller should be here monday, wire that, put on rear sway bar, find some front coilover springs (12-250's if anyone has some laying around :) ) get some caster camber plates, and do some SERIOUS cleaning on the outside

ncontt
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
took off the A/C compressor today as it wasn't hooked up anyway. I won't have room up front for FMIC and condensor AND trans cooler and radiator, so out the door it went. I also put on the Trickflow A/C delete that a friend gave me and hooked up the power steering. DC Controller came in on sat and got it installed today (will see how it works tomorrow) pretty sure the neighbors don't want the mont cranked up at 11PM. AND got my reverse glow gauges wired in and working (they'll match my PHANTOM gauges) <---need to get them wired up as well, Trans temp, fuel press, oil press, and water temp....

CrazyInBlack
05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
so did you have to rewire for the new computer? did I miss that step?

ncontt
05-14-2008, 06:05 AM
so did you have to rewire for the new computer? did I miss that step?

I took EVERY harness out of a wrecked 1990 stang and put into the mont....headlight harness to taillight harness and everything inbetween :metal:

A9P computer, dash/dash harness, heater box (with NEW heater core :lol: ) just about everything wired right up, I had to splice in the headlight wires and the side marker lights, everything else was pretty much plug and play. Although this harness had some issues to begin with, still tracking some grounding issues under the dash, but runs a $H!TLOAD better now....:metal:

This is for all intents and purposes a 4 dr mustang :banana:

CrazyInBlack
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
cool, congrads on the sucess :nice:

ncontt
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
cool, congrads on the sucess :nice:

thanks....it's alot of fun to see peoples faces....especially with the 03 Mach rims on it...lol and the 4 wheel disk brakes...not to mention the sound, people don't know quite what to do/say LOL

Dale McPeters
05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Well now that we have given you a couple of days to get some batteries for the camera........Like Lee F. stated in my thread we need some updates......:jester:

ncontt
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
haha....those batteries are worn down now...LOL

Dale McPeters
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
haha....those batteries are worn down now...LOL

:lol:
I have some rechargable ones that leak will that work? :D

ncontt
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
sure....might as well put my camera out of it's misery...since the mac daddy canon we got for my son's trip to Africa this past summer got stolen by the carpet installers (we're about 90% sure of this)!!!!! :sob's:

Dale McPeters
05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
sure....might as well put my camera out of it's misery...since the mac daddy canon we got for my son's trip to Africa this past summer got stolen by the carpet installers (we're about 90% sure of this)!!!!! :sob's:

That is not good at all......I think any kind of thief should have the fingers & knee caps broken. That way they can not pick it up or walk off with anything...

Note this is just my opinion.....

ncontt
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
oh believe me I was LIVID, FORTUNATELY for them we had already d/l'd the pics onto our computer. I would have been pissed if the 400+ pictures he took on a trip of a lifetime would have disappeared with that camera and we wouldn't have gotten them onto the computer! As it was I wasn't too impressed with these guys to say the least! I'll get to work on the car some more once we get moved into the new house!!! Two car garage PLUS another down below and around back in the basement, that will have to do until I get a shop built.

I will be taking suggestions/ideas for things to integrate into the shop....lol

room for a lift is at the top of the list as is airlines plumbed around the shop....

ncontt
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
bout to bring this puppy back from the dead, LITERALLY. I've been working on this here and there and accumulating parts as well.

Sumped tank is installed, with braided -10 from sump to dual inline 255's(one filter before pumps, and one after), then pushlok -8 feed to the rails, and then -6 pushlok return.

Cobra front brakes with 13 inch calipers are going on as well as a UPR coilover kit for the Tokicko's. New race accel wires are going on, and in the mail as we speak is a MPT70 turbo that will be going on for now. I'm also going to need a meter and 60# injectors as well, THEN put back some misc. interior stuff and I'll be ROLLING!!!

89five0Gt
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
:nice: awesome

CrazyInBlack
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Good deal. I always liked this project.

Dale McPeters
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
bout to bring this puppy back from the dead, LITERALLY. I've been working on this here and there and accumulating parts as well.

Sumped tank is installed, with braided -10 from sump to dual inline 255's(one filter before pumps, and one after), then pushlok -8 feed to the rails, and then -6 pushlok return.

Cobra front brakes with 13 inch calipers are going on as well as a UPR coilover kit for the Tokicko's. New race accel wires are going on, and in the mail as we speak is a MPT70 turbo that will be going on for now. I'm also going to need a meter and 60# injectors as well, THEN put back some misc. interior stuff and I'll be ROLLING!!!

Brad,

Very nice....you know you are going to have to post pictures of all that one of these days so that we can all drool over it. :D

By the way how are going to tune that beast now?

ncontt
04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Brad,

Very nice....you know you are going to have to post pictures of all that one of these days so that we can all drool over it. :D

By the way how are going to tune that beast now?

Haven't got that far yet Dale, I was leaning towards the Moates Quarter horse but not sure if anyone around here can help me with it (done a LITTLE stuff with TwEECer, YEARS ago) and not even in a running car, but read ALOT, and changed some stuff with it on the desktop......soooooo, that being said, I'm still not sure if I'd just rather go somewhere and have them burn a chip and dyno tune it, or mess with it myself. It's just that I've got a $hit ton of $$$ in this and I'd hate to total it with some stupid mistake....

ncontt
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Got the Turbo in the other day, cut some sheetmetal to get it to "fit", mounted the oil feed/return line fittings to the turbo, need to get some work done on it.....pics to come

Dale McPeters
05-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Got the Turbo in the other day, cut some sheetmetal to get it to "fit", mounted the oil feed/return line fittings to the turbo, need to get some work done on it.....pics to come

:shrug:........:D

CrazyInBlack
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
maybe he is out driving it, and can not take pics :shrug:

ncontt
05-15-2010, 08:18 PM
LMAO, or maybe he's a slacker and still hasn't done anything on it....oh wait...$H!T, tha's me.....DOH

EHardy1971
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM

ncontt
05-16-2010, 09:22 AM
hahaha...DAMMIT MAN!!! you're going to make me go out there and get some pics huh?

Dale McPeters
05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
hahaha...DAMMIT MAN!!! you're going to make me go out there and get some pics huh?

:yup:

EHardy1971
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Hell yes! :jester:

ncontt
05-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I took some pics the other day...just have to tie up the rest of the fuel system, got the plug wires/DEI boots on, got some misc. fuel fittings I needed. Bout to get it buttoned up here shortly.

ncontt
05-31-2010, 10:12 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/79%20fairmont%20updates/th_DSCF0027.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/bladesandblooms/79%20fairmont%20updates/?action=view&current=DSCF0027.jpg)

ncontt
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
you can access the album from the clickable thumbnail above, don't mind the pictures of my son and his girlfriend..lol

Dale McPeters
06-02-2010, 09:25 AM
you can access the album from the clickable thumbnail above, don't mind the pictures of my son and his girlfriend..lol

Nice....:nice:
Now just how much power are you planning on making with this thing? :jester:

Is the tall lanky dark hair guy your son?

ncontt
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Nice....:nice:
Now just how much power are you planning on making with this thing? :jester:

Is the tall lanky dark hair guy your son?

haha, would like at least 550HP to the tires, and ya, that's him. Jordan, he's 15 and is about 6'2" and 135lbs soaking wet, size 12 shoe and got fingers that go on for miles...LOL.

He's gotten really good at guitar here lately (been teaching himself) and has the fret span of Jimi Hendrix nearly!!! He's into rock and has been/can play nearly every Tool song, Rush, Incubus (been doing some acoustic stuff too), Fall of Troy, Russian Circles and a bunch more stuff I can't think of....I've been trying to get him to learn some "classic" rock, but proud of him none-the-less.

93cobra1928
06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=ncontt;205301]haha, would like at least 550HP to the tiresQUOTE]

You should get that with ease with that setup :metal:

ncontt
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I hope so, just wondering about the cobra upper/lower....should do "ok", but we'll see I guess.

ncontt
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
IT's ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

We got it cranked and running today!!!

Things left to do include, reinstall the pass. side strut/coilovers, install braided brake lines, get an alignment, get it tuned, get gauges wired back up, get heat blanket for turbo, get filter for turbo inlet (not much room here BTW), a $H!T-TON of cleaning to be done, I'm leaving something else out...but not sure what!

ncontt
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
oh ya, get exhaust on there!!! Right now it's loud as HADES....just the downpipe (3.5"), then a short piece that bolts onto the downpipe. Still trying to decide if I want to go with duals or leave the race muffler on there (3.5"), any input/suggestions?

rtusnake
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Cheaper to do the single muffler. Any pics?

86GTPONY
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Cheaper to do the single muffler. Any pics?
:agree: I would stay with a single and use a non-chambered muffler (like a Magnaflow) or some other flow-through design.

ncontt
09-13-2010, 05:01 AM
I'm going to mock up the muffler and get it welded up today I guess, then we'll go from there once I see how loud it is....I'll try and get some pics/video today too!

89five0Gt
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
:nice: its been a long time coming....we need pics man !!!

CrazyInBlack
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
:nice: its been a long time coming....we need pics man !!!

And, a vid :banana:

ncontt
09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
got exhaust welded up today and put it on...I think I have a bad exhaust leak somewhere but I can't narrow it down b/c I realized that there is supposed to be a valve seat where the wastegate mounts between the wastegate and the mounting flange....:shrug:, so I have to find one of those....also got air inlet filter mounted and got a new rubber grommet from FORD (read: "they rapin' ERRRBODY up in here!!!" for the gas filler neck, still need to install strut on pass side(DONE), SS brake lines(DONE), and bleed brakes, cleanup, misc. wiring of gauges....

ncontt
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
valve seat will be on the way, as will turbo blanket later this week....in an attempt to track down the other exhaust leaks I ended up getting new header bolts to replace the allen head ones I had in there that I couldn't get sufficiently tight...what with the 1 3/4 tubes coming out of the flanges. That being said, it was leaking past the flanges on 5+ of the cylinders. I am going to take them to a machine shop and see if they can just mill a tad off them to even them up perfectly.

rtusnake
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Belt sander makes quick work of warped header flanges.

ncontt
09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
good point....and I got one of those laying around AND a straight edge....it's not much (the "warpage")...

what is the consensus on gaskets or copper RTV? I used copper RTV last time, but I think my execution was poor..lol

ncontt
09-15-2010, 05:14 AM
a quick search on TM.com seems to point to the copper RTV

Dale McPeters
09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
a quick search on TM.com seems to point to the copper RTV

:yup:.........Ultra Copper RTV

ncontt
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
well I still have a small leak at the front of #1 cylinder and it was a HUGE PITA trying to get that biga$$ exhaust manifold back in there, so I'm not really diggin' the idea of taking it back off!!!! SOB. Just need to bleed brakes and an alignment, a tune and I'm ROLLIN'!!!! Vids to follow this evening or tomorrow, I have to go pull the motor out of my "wrecked" 96 F150.....

Dale McPeters
09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Video? :jester:

And what happened to the truck?

ncontt
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
ran into the back of some bluehairs that were going to turn into a yard sale!!!! They told the officer "I was going to pull over to the side of the road and then BACK INTO their driveway!!!!" DOH....

ncontt
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
WELL.....long story short. I found out why my flanges kept leaking....The top edge of the flange was hitting on the "lower" edge of the heads where they go from the flat sealing edge towards where the valve covers seal. Therefore it was kicking the top edge out away from the heads and the copper rtv could only handle/fill up so much of a gap.

The REASON I found this problem is b/c when in Bowling Green I picked up a Systemax upper/lower (among other things) and was going to sell my ported Cobra upper/lower. The Cobra is now gone, and the systemax lower is on, the engine is OUT of the car and on the stand, I've made the necessary clearances so the exhaust flanges will sit flush and helicoiled all the header bolt holes (save the ones on the ends which are studs).

This combined with the 14+lb. wastegate spring should make for a fun streetcar set on KILL. I'll be getting separate tunes for both the 7lb spring and the 14lb spring (2 separate Tial Wastegates) until I get a boost controller either electric or manual.

In addition I'm getting pretty good @ R&R this turbo kit...lol I got it removed and the entire engine ready to be pulled (minus the 6 tranny-engine bolts) done by myself in about 3 hours, which included pulling the upper/lower cobra and swapping the sensors over to the Holley intake.

ncontt
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Newest update.....
Got the crank fixed at the machine shop and motor is getting rebuilt this w/e. All I need now is a new converter, and a flexplate, and a tune then we'll be ridin' DURTY!!

Got to get everything all cleaned up and ready to go for this w/e. New timing set (no more gear drive), new oil pump, gaskets, etc. Trans was disassembled and checked and found to be in great shape minus the fubar'd front pump which was replaced, new seals etc.

Valve covers are off being powder coated, new systemax intake is ready to go.

rtusnake
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM

ncontt
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I ran out of assembly lube in the middle of putting the engine together. SOB, all I had was a little package of the ARP lube....Checked all clearances and they were jam-up. CRANK ENDPLAY was around .005 so that's MUCH better than it was when I took the motor out...lol. Going to finish it here towards the end of the week or this w/e. Heads are on, just not bolted down, and I may trade my TFS stage 2 cam for a turbo specific cam that a buddy of mine just got in a shortblock....still up in the air about that one. Pics when I get some more batteries for the camera...

ncontt
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Heads are on, water pump/timing cover on, turbo manifolds ON, oil pump/pickup ON, new -10 turbo drain IN pan,

Need to adjust rockers, install balancer, install billet timing pointer, get valve covers back from buddy and install, intake install, order converter, then slap a fresh coat of paint on the engine baby if it ever warms back up/dries up, throw engine back in bay and install trans.....home stretch baby!!! :banana:

ncontt
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
***Update***
~Rockers adjusted (after I forgot to put in oil pressure log and spun over oil pump with drill and shot a gardenhose amount of oil 1/2 way across my garage...LOL :bitchslap:
~Balancer installed
~Billet timing pointer installed
~Valve covers painted with hi-temp caliper paint AND installed
~Intake (upper and lower) installed
~Converter ordered from PTC last thursday (said it should be here by end of THIS week)
~Getting flexplate tomorrow
~Paint engine bay this w/e and hopefully have motor/trans back in by beg. of next week
~Have to get with Injected Engineering about tuning it sometime this month

Not much to go now!!!! WOOT WOOT!!! :banana:

rtusnake
05-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Please resort back to post #111

Also would have like to seen a video with audio of the oil shooting lol

ncontt
05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
haha, ya, it was moderately commical....I was like WTF????? AWWWW $H!T!!!!! I will have to see if I can get my camera fired up...

ncontt
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.xfoa.net/phpBBxfoa/download/file.php?id=19

http://www.xfoa.net/phpBBxfoa/download/file.php?id=18

ncontt
05-31-2011, 08:52 PM
http://www.xfoa.net/phpBBxfoa/download/file.php?id=22

http://www.xfoa.net/phpBBxfoa/download/file.php?id=21

rtusnake
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
They do exist. Looks like she is ready for a home now

ncontt
06-01-2011, 06:50 AM
shoot, been ready, just been waitin' on my slow/disorganized butt to do something!!! LOL

ncontt
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
converter arrived late today via UPS....I'm going to get to cleaning engine bay tomorrow after I play some golf...I can't wait to get this thing ROLLIN'......and tuned....lol

rtusnake
06-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Who did you order your convertor from?

ncontt
06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
PTC in muscle shoals.....$421 to the door for a pimped out 10" converter, which I thought was pretty good, stalls 3000-3200 I believe.

93cobra1928
06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
PTC is a great place to deal with. I bought a 10" from them 8 years ago for $300 good service, very knowledgeable and quick turn around.

rtusnake
06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I ordered mine from ptc last week as well. Hear nothing but great things about em

ncontt
06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
ya, it was between them and Ultimate (heard nothing but great things about them (Lenny, whom I spoke to on the phone, actually he called me back on a sat. afternoon and spoke with me for 20 plus minutes) Lenny quoted me $725!!! Which in the grand scheme of things really isn't that bad! BUUUUUUT, I like $400 a lil' mo bettah. We'll see how it works out! I'm actually debating on whether or not to drop the motor back in this evening (by myself which kinda sucks..but been done before several times).

The reason I'm kinda wanting to hold off is when we were in Bowling Green for the NMRA races last year I got some custom made fender liners/weld in sheets (for lack of better word) from a guy. They smooth out all the holes on the inner fender areas...I know I should hold off...but I really want to get the motor back in so I can get it off to get it tuned....hmmm

rtusnake
06-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I talked with lenny as well but once again his was alittle higher. Plus a local guy has pretty much the same setup as me and is using a ptc convertor with no problems.

Might as well do the plates now, your going to wish you had if you try to put them in with the motor in.

ncontt
06-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Ya, put the one in on the D.S. ....It went pretty well. Then today, dropped motor in, hooked up EVERYTHING turbo related, all piping, turbo, oil feed/return(new -10), turbo blanket, meter etc., all wiring up front is done, still have a few misc. vacuum lines to tidy up, radiator and fan is in and mounted, battery tray is in and mounted.....have to get flexplate still and then I can mount trans, starter, exhaust and fire it OFF!!!! WOOT WOOT!

rtusnake
06-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a very productive day. Must be really ready to do that much with the heat today

ncontt
06-14-2011, 07:43 AM
haha, ya, no doubt, BUT I did buy a 12 x 12 Tent/Gazebo thingy to go over it, so I was pretty much in the shade, which was worth EVERY PENNY!!! Got the flexplate ordered last night, so should be here end of this week/beg. of next, guess that will give me time to tidy up all the vac. lines, and do some misc. interior stuff. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to get this thing going, not sure I can afford to put gas in it...but I'm ready to ride nonetheless!

ncontt
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
flexplate arrived today and I'll probably tackle that in a few after I get some chemicals for the pool (SOB!!) and grab a bite to eat!!! Can't wait to get this SOB rollin' ya heard?

CrazyInBlack
06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
This is a cool build - I want to see it run

ncontt
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
haha, that makes two of us! It isn't pretty on the outside....and actually not that pretty on the inside...but dammit it better be fast!!!! LOL. SOB I wish it wasn't so hot out there...just trying to find the motivation to do something on it since my "tent/gazebo" got twisted up like a freaking pretzel the other night in that bada$$ wind/rain storm we had(happy birthday to me....:arg: ) and I'm tired of sweating like a freaking pig 16 hours a day...

<----quit yer bitchin' and just go work on the car!!!

ncontt
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Converter came back from PTC sometime this past week while I was on the RedneckRiveria.....so hopefully I can get all/most of my yards caught up so I can get this thing back together and get it tuned (wishes he could tune it himself, w/o burning up the motor or worse)....

ncontt
08-07-2011, 02:13 AM
still waiting on some trans parts to come in....decided to switch the guts out to 4R70W stuff while it was down (having a bastard of a time with that old 35 spline one pc. input shaft, so i ordered a new 31 spline one waiting on converter to come back from PTC...again.

BTW, anyone know of a good driveshaft shop in the ATL area that can either make me one for the fairmont, or can take this "too long" Aluminum one I got from the JY out of a Aerostar.......prolly would want to put some new joints on it and have it shortened (bout 10 inches too long....first time for everything!)

Thanks.
Brad

RedSuperRanger23
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
FRPP used to have a "Wide Ratio" kit for the AOD that was pretty much the 4r70W guts that went right into the AOD. I helped build one of those once and also put in a Lentech valvebody and wired an OD off switch in a 91 or 92 GT.

ncontt
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
ya, the stuff I got was the Mechanical Diode kit, which uses the stamped steel drum for the intermediate clutches (I think....) as opposed to the Cast version, and also added some extra clutches/steels, 2inch OD band, and a new 300M (hardened) 31 spline input shaft, billet A++ servo, and a few other goodies...

Ya, mine's got the Art Carr/Lentech valvebody with transbrake and O/D both on switches...

RedSuperRanger23
08-12-2011, 12:54 PM
the one we built also had the JW Kevlar band and small rebuild kit in it... not sure about the diodes and servos and such as it's been 8-9 years ago. I do know this, I drove it home for the guy and it just happened to be raining at the time so I couldn't get into it (I think it was pre-Kenne Bell install) but when it shifter from 1st to 2nd I.... http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4100000/J-zz-In-My-Pants-Caps-the-lonely-island-4133365-850-475.jpg

ncontt
08-13-2011, 04:17 PM
^^^^^:lol:^^^^^

ncontt
08-18-2011, 09:08 PM
well, small update:

Parts that have arrived:
Innovate LC-1
Moates Quarterhorse
Mechanical Diode kit for trans
A++ Billet servo for trans
300M One PC. input shaft for trans
2" Kevlar O.D. band for trans

Parts on the way:
"cheapie" laptop to tune/datalog with
10" Non L/U converter from PTC (31spline)

Holy crap :eek: I just realized that's around $1100 MORE worth of crap going in/on a 1979 Fairmont....:shake: what's wrong with this picture? LOL

SOOOOOOO,
Spoke with Lane @ PTC yesterday and my converter is "supposed" to be back to me AGAIN by the end of next week. The reason I sent it back a couple of weeks ago was we had trans together and installed and we were trying to get the converter and the flexplate lined up and when we'd spin the motor over the converter would turn too....:headbang: I/we thought "maybe there's just too much paint on the snout of the converter and it's sticking in the back of the crank...." , so we drop the trans..again, take converter out, sand it down, grease it and back of crank up, REINSTALL trans, converter was almost perfectly lined up this time, so we got it bolted up. I went to turn the trans and it would spin around a little ways and then "CLUNK" it would hit something....spin it back the other direction, spin for a bit (not all the way around mind you) and then "CLUNK".....:headbang:.

Took the trans out, took it almost completely apart to find that when I took it apart BEFORE, I had reinstalled the govenor on backwards :nutkick: SO got that squared away and decided I'd had it with screwing around with the 35 spline input shaft and converter combo and bought the new shaft and sent the converter back to be changed over to a 31 spline. The 35 spline shaft just was not letting the converter seat far enough into the trans, that's why we were having problems with it being up too tight to the flexplate....so hopefully I've put that issue to bed. I am SOOOO freakin' ready to get this POS ridin' dirty I can't even stand it. It sure looks like Bowling Green will be a wash this year too, I don't see me having this thing tuned by myself with the moates by the end of Sept......but who knows....

All the news that's fit to print

rtusnake
08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I didn't read all that because it was to long. Get this thing running lol

ncontt
08-19-2011, 05:28 AM
I didn't read all that because it was to long. Get this thing running lol

:lol: slacker....err, wait, that's me....

ncontt
08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Got the LC-1 wideband installed today

ncontt
08-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Converter came BACK in from PTC today, so hopefully I can get the trans back together at least by the beg. of the week, the laptop I got to tune with the Moates took a dump on me so I had to send it back and dude is sending me another one, so that will set me back a bit too....hopefully I can make some progress here shortly, so DALE, get ready for some tuning questions!!!

jonosranger
08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Git er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rtusnake
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Tick tock, tick tock....

ncontt
08-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Tick tock, tick tock....

I know, I know....

ncontt
09-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Got trans back together today. Trans now has the Mechanical Diode kit with 2inch OD band (kevlar), new clutches/kolene steels in the reverse (4), new clutches/steels in direct and fwd drums, new clutches/steels in INT (4), various lube mods (clickclickracing.com), new 31 spline 300M 1pc. input shaft AND new 31 spline PTC 10" Non L/U converter.....also installed new fan on my trans cooler and moved it towards the back of the car over the rear axle since I've got dumps on my mufflers.

Hopefully I'll get this trans in friday or sat....and get to tuning this PIG, going to give the Moates QH and BE/EA and Innovate LC1, a try and see what we can do with it....

EHardy1971
09-09-2011, 09:13 PM
:nice: Sounds good. I'm planning on doing a similar rebuild on my AOD before long with the 2 incher and with some AODE and 4R70W internals in it.

ncontt
09-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Eric, have you done one before (transmission that is?) I hadn't until my buddy helped "walk" me through it, the ATSG manual helps but some of the pics aren't that great. BTW, you can d/l a copy of the AOD one off of clickclickracing.com site, clickme (http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?10495-free-Ford-ATSG-manuals-online&highlight=atsg+manuals)

Let me know if you have any questions of what you need to get let me know, it's still fresh in my head....

ncontt
09-12-2011, 10:48 PM
FINALLY got trans in...again for like the 10th time... AND, I think I may have found out why my trans was FUBAR'd in the first place....the wrong freaking flexplate!

We went to put trans in today with the Scat SFI 164tooth 28oz flexplate on there...brand new, got it in and went to turn it...freakin converter is TIGHT up against the flexplate!!! :wall: so I get pissed...and try to figure out wtf the deal is, can only be one of a few things.

I drop the trans AGAIN, take out the flexplate and head to Summit racing....dude at the counter says they got a PA Perf. flexplate for $126 and some change...I tell him to have them pull it so I can see if there is any difference in that one and the Scat one I got...while I'm waiting for them to pull it, I wander by their scratch/dent sale tables and Lo and behold I see a SBF flexplate for sale(PA Perf.)...I try to see the differences but I can't tell right off...so I got to the pickup counter and check out the NEW one (PA Perf.)....I tell dude to hold on, run get the other one on the clearance table and look at it...SAME ONE!!!! :headbang: best part it's only $60.

I figure I take it home try it, if it doesnt' work I can sell it for at least what I got in it...

Long story...well, long, it ended up working!!!!! :cheers: I bolted everything up and now I can spin the converter while trans is hooked to engine!!! Now it's just a matter of getting everything else buttoned up, doing the free-air calibration on the LC-1 wideband, and then start the tuning!!! I'm SUPER pumped, it's been SOOO long working on this thing...and I can't wait to get it going!

On a side note, I have a feeling that is why my trans was fubar'd the "last time" (wrong flexplate)....:shrug:

rtusnake
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Man that really sucks. Glad you finally figured it out. All down hill from here :)

ncontt
09-13-2011, 05:07 AM
oh ya, this thing has been crazy to say the least!!! It's a matter of principle at this point! I don't care if I have to spend $100K on this POS Fairmont....it's GOING TO RUN!!! HAHA, I may be on my deathbed by the time that happens...but by GOD it's going to happen! lol...

ncontt
09-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Got everything buttoned up today....got LC1 hooked up...did free air calibration, got it sandwiched in the down pipe (super tight with headers right there by it), took me a minute to figure out how to load the tune/tunes to the QH but I finally got that straight....fired it up and by GOD it started and actually RAN!!! In the meantime while it was running I was trying to figure out how to datalog (probably not the time to start trying to figure that out..LOL) at any rate, I noticed the water temp creeping up, turns out the elec. fan was not coming on...(flexalite fan controller, later I checked and it's getting power and the fuse was NOT burnt...) anyway, I went to start it up again and NO DICE....It won't start, not sure wth is up with that. I'll have to check it out tomorrow....

Sidenote: Took my Aluminum DS I got at the JY out of a Aerostar van to Atlanta Driveline Service, they're going to cut it down and reweld it, high speed balance it and install new Spicer u-joints in it and get me squared away...all for LESS than $130 out the door....pretty I thought! Oh and it will be ready in the AM!!!

ncontt
09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
all in all, I was just glad it actually RAN!!! LOL

EHardy1971
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Eric, have you done one before (transmission that is?) I hadn't until my buddy helped "walk" me through it, the ATSG manual helps but some of the pics aren't that great. BTW, you can d/l a copy of the AOD one off of clickclickracing.com site, clickme (http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?10495-free-Ford-ATSG-manuals-online&highlight=atsg+manuals)

Let me know if you have any questions of what you need to get let me know, it's still fresh in my head....
Yeah, I've rebuilt a couple of AODE's, an AOD, and a few other auto trannys. I also have a few manuals (books that is). I have all the snap ring pliers and all that jazz as well. :nice:

ncontt
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
if you build it make sure you get rid of that raggedyass "stock" snap ring in there for 2nd gear I think...and replace it with the double spiral one...

ncontt
06-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Well I've done a few things in the last 2 days....been killing me to see it just sitting there but I've been so busy with work and "trying" to maintain all my wife's families cars.

I had to take the fan off the fairmont to put on my 95 F150 that was running hot (also put a F250 radiator on it, best $$ spent on it so far), and also been robbing parts off it to keep my mountaineer running and some of the other Fords I've got running around here!

So in the last day I've replaced the bypass hose on the water pump, put a new electric fan on it (re done how it mounts on the radiator), re-clocked the MAF sensor, and may have found a HUGE unmetered air leak in my filter!!!

The filter (biggest one I could find that would fit) had a cut on the edge of the lip where it mounts on the turbo inlet that was at least an inch long!!!!! Hopefully when I fix this it will help with my idling issues (AFR and what was being commanded were not jiving!)

Also I dropped the trans pan thinking I didn't hook up one of the solenoids for either the Trans brake or for the O/D but both were hooked up, I then started up on redoing the wiring issues I've got with my gauge setup behind the "factory" plate that I got from the guys at Gaugeplates.com.

Probably going to run by Summit racing tomorrow after church and get the rest of the stuff I need to do the weather pack connectors (already had some done that way, but going to pimp it out now!!)

ncontt
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
got it running today, a bunch of stuff screwed up...my huge bonehead move of the century was installing an IAT sensor.....drumroll please....into the.....you guessed it, ECT sensor location...LMAO!!! Ya, kick me in my ball$!!! No wonder it wasn't registering on my "dashboard" when I was datalogging today!

Here is a short video of it running, the idle is pretty good and actually it I had one of the injectors unplugged at the time...DOH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NyS3fWb6MI&feature=youtu.be

ncontt
09-12-2012, 06:58 PM
ya, don't mind that exhaust leak...I doubt I'm going to take the motor out to fix the leaking exhaust manifold bolt that you can barely see..lol

CrazyInBlack
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
:nice:

ncontt
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
still need to drop trans and replace what I believe is a leaking seal on the reverse piston, still no reverse!!! ARGHHH....

ncontt
09-14-2012, 07:33 PM
got the trans out this evening and got it torn down to the point where I could get reverse drum out and take that piston out, I also went ahead and got a new reverse servo piston too just to be sure...Just waiting till monday or tuesday to get that back together (my buddy in Columbus has the seal installer for the pistons)

rtusnake
09-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Monday or tuesday? You have the whole weekend lol. Hopefully everything goes back together smooth

ncontt
09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
HAHA, ya, we were out of town this weekend. I actually found out WHY I didn't have reverse...and this little nugget of knowledge is FREE....I changed from a cast reverse drum to the STAMPED steel reverse drum and Mechanical Diode (ratcheting one way clutch) with 2 inch overdrive band....

Well, at any rate, I was researching WTF was going on with no reverse and realize that the cast reverse drum requires a reverse piston with the casting numbers beginning with RF-E0 cast numbers, the stamped drums use RF-E9 or F0 cast numbers. So I run down to the garage and LO AND BEHOLD...I've got the cast reverse piston in my STAMPED reverse drum. NO BUENO!!! So I have the new piston with new seals ready to go as soon as I can get the seal installer tools from my buddy in Columbus tomorrow!!!

Hopefully I'll have this trans back in there in the next day or so.

ncontt
10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Well trans was in and out 2 MORE times, got new pump, different valvebody, 2 different reverse servo pistons (first one would not aircheck), another set of intermediate clutches AND steels (clearances were off), and completely torn apart and air checked and FINALLY I have reverse..LOL

I took it out for a spin the other day and the tune leaves a little bit to be desired (my own doing) but I've got a chip in it for now just to move it around. I've got a tubular k-member and some new springs for coil-overs. In addition I may be changing some interior changes (different seats, entire center console from mustang and black mustang dash)

rtusnake
10-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Getting close

ncontt
10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
yup, I'm getting another oilpan from a buddy since mine is leaking BADLY from the turbo oil drain (-10), and swapping it in when I change to the Tubular K member...I can't wait to get it going FOR REAL!!!

Bad thing is with my work (landscaping) winding down, I'll have more time...but no $$$ LOL Dammit MAN!

ncontt
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Oilpan is fixed, tubular K-member is in, swapped the spacers around on my coilovers so I can get some more travel out of them (thinking they were bottoming out the way I had the spacers set), need to put bumpsteer kit on and then get some "freshened up" calipers on there. Got my new direct drum for trans in the other day and just waiting on the Alto red's and kolene steel kit to come in and the trans can be put back together.

banditmwp
11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Ya gotta hate when a project gets to this stage...you can see it, smell it, taste it.

ncontt
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
You're right Matt! Especially since I had been driving it around some (doing some tuning with the moates qh)

ncontt
05-18-2013, 12:22 PM
well, while I'm updating I thought I'd post what's been done on this POS...

I have pulled the TV cable'd VB out and sending it off to have it checked, I suspect there is a sticking valve somewhere or it's bleeding pressure off somewhere...In the meantime I traded my golfcart for a fully rebuilt AOD with one piece input and all the bells/whistles, with Lentech MVB with transbrake and elec. O/D, with an Edge Racing converter. That will be going in here shortly.

In addition, I've also installed a Turbosmart EBC (eboost street), run all the necessary vacuum lines, just have 3 more wires to hook up on that, installed new HPX slot type MAF, T4M0 computer (just need to repin connector) and I should be good to go..."should"

CrazyInBlack
05-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I have always thought this was a cool build.

rtusnake
05-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Should is always a good word in the project world lol

ncontt
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
:lol:

My son is graduating this year (next week) and we've had one thing after another tear up/etc etc...so hopefully we're getting out front of the "curve" here soon so we can start getting some of these LONNNNNGGGGGG term projects going and enjoy them before I attempt to collect social security