PDA

View Full Version : roll cage

97cobrasvt
02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I was wanting to know what is a good cage to purchase will be welding it in myself but I want one that will hug the inside of the car good meaning not have a big gap between the cage and roof. Any help would be appreciated Steven

Wickd GT
02-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Didn't know really were to put this so if its in the wrong room I'm sorry was wanting to know what is a good cage to purchase will be welding it in myself but I want one that will hug the inside of the car good meaning not have a big gap between the cage and roof. Any help would be appreciated Steven

Get you one from S&W, excellent cage and not to expensive. I take it you going mild steel, right. Here is a link, tell them what you want and year of the car, they will get you what's the best. Mine is from them.

http://www.swracecars.com/

97cobrasvt
02-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Get you one from S&W, excellent cage and not to expensive. I take it you going mild steel, right. Here is a link, tell them what you want and year of the car, they will get you what's the best. Mine is from them.

http://www.swracecars.com/

is yours mild steel or chrome moly

QWKSNKE
02-11-2007, 07:45 AM
is yours mild steel or chrome moly

His is steel. Don't do chrome moly. Its only good for about 8-9 years then it has to be cut out and redone :shake:

97cobrasvt
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
His is steel. Don't do chrome moly. Its only good for about 8-9 years then it has to be cut out and redone :shake:

Thanks I did not know that why does it have to be cut out and redone

QWKSNKE
02-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Chrome Moly is only good for 3 nhra certifications

97cobrasvt
02-11-2007, 01:21 PM

ok thanks I did not know that . Thanks for moving the thread

96GTS
02-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Wolfe Racecraft 100%. Put it in your car, and every other mail order "kit" will look like absolute shit. I cant even fit my finger b/t the bars and panels/headliner.

Italian LX
02-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Wolfe Racecraft 100%. Put it in your car, and every other mail order "kit" will look like absolute shit. I cant even fit my finger b/t the bars and panels/headliner.
Darren, I didn't know yours was a mail order cage -- I thought it was all custom made. That's pretty impressive for mail order!

96GTS
02-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Darren, I didn't know yours was a mail order cage -- I thought it was all custom made. That's pretty impressive for mail order!
It's 430, go to bed loser!!:meth:

I was definitely impressed w/ it. A guy I used to race with had an SW in his 03 GT. You could fit your fist b/t the A piller and the bar and the upper bars were 2+" from the headliner. They are cheap and I was gonna go w/ them until I saw that...

Wickd GT
02-13-2007, 05:21 AM
It's 430, go to bed loser!!:meth:

I was definitely impressed w/ it. A guy I used to race with had an SW in his 03 GT. You could fit your fist b/t the A piller and the bar and the upper bars were 2+" from the headliner. They are cheap and I was gonna go w/ them until I saw that...

I'm going to disagree with you on that. S&W has a good cage, they come a bit longer so it can be trim to fit the way you want. Mine I fitted then measure how much I'll cut then fitted it again, then weld it were I wanted, matter of fact you have to look for the top of the cage, and I still can take my T Tops off. Just had it recertify and the inspector complimented on it.

Edgar

coupe
02-13-2007, 08:27 AM

:think: Where'd you find this at?

I second the "Wolfe" stuff btw. :nice:

QWKSNKE
02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
:think: Where'd you find this at?

I second the "Wolfe" stuff btw. :nice:

Either Edgar or Rob found this out when checking on cage work

96GTS
02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm going to disagree with you on that. S&W has a good cage, they come a bit longer so it can be trim to fit the way you want. Mine I fitted then measure how much I'll cut then fitted it again, then weld it were I wanted, matter of fact you have to look for the top of the cage, and I still can take my T Tops off. Just had it recertify and the inspector complimented on it.

Edgar
hmmm...maybe they use the fox cage for the 94+...?? The inside of a fox is smaller and that would explain why yours fit tight and on an 03, it was horrible. All I've seen of SW is that cage and a roll bar (6pt) in a 99 Cobra, and that was just as bad.......

96GTS
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Also, my buddy at work races super comp gas (or something like that....its a chebby). Its an open top roadster style car and has had his 'moly cage since the early 90s. He just got it recertified last month.???

coupe
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Cage certifications and Chrome Moly...

Chrome Moly does not expire on its certifications...Pat Cvengros at NHRA confirmed this.

Chrome Moly alloy is better in every instance over it's mild-steel alternative. It does not weaken with age, nor will it embrittle. It can be made with a thinner wall tube than mild steel, thus a substantial weight savings over the entire cage assembly. :nice:

96GTS
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Chrome Moly does not expire on its certifications...Pat Cvengros at NHRA confirmed this.

Chrome Moly alloy is better in every instance over it's mild-steel alternative. It does not weaken with age, nor will it embrittle. It can be made with a thinner wall tube than mild steel, thus a substantial weight savings over the entire cage assembly. :nice:
Its the opposite. 'moly DOES get brittle. And it is weakened after welding. If it was possible to heat treat the entire cage after welding, it would be stronger, but in an impact 'moly will crack/break whereas MS will bend. Making up for a couple pounds of MS is just a jet change away IMO.

coupe
02-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Chrome moly (4130) is .30 percent Carbon which is still considered a low to medium carbon alloy. Carbon is the main ingredient that causes brittleness, but really only becomes a factor above, say .50 (that's 1/2) percent. Although I'm not sure of carbon equivalency value, I still have never seen issues with it for weldability. It's very durable, even on impact. I think there are some misconceptions about chrome moly. :shrug:

96GTS
02-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Chrome moly (4130) is .30 percent Carbon which is still considered a low to medium carbon alloy. Carbon is the main ingredient that causes brittleness, but really only becomes a factor above, say .50 (that's 1/2) percent. Although I'm not sure of carbon equivalency value, I still have never seen issues with it for weldability. It's very durable, even on impact. I think there are some misconceptions about chrome moly. :shrug:
I'm going off what my buddy who did my cage told me. He's been welding since the 70s and welds aluminum/titanium/magnesium/and other cool stuff all day at work at Boeing aerospace. I trust his knowledge of the metals over a standard chassis shop guy personally:shrug:

QWKSNKE
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Its the opposite. 'moly DOES get brittle. And it is weakened after welding. If it was possible to heat treat the entire cage after welding, it would be stronger, but in an impact 'moly will crack/break whereas MS will bend. Making up for a couple pounds of MS is just a jet change away IMO.

Remember where I heard it now.

The guy that installed Edgar's minitubs is the one that stated chromemoly cages expire after the 3rd recert. He also mentioned that there is not enough weight savings to pick chrome moly over mild steel to justify the cost.

Also, I thought fox body cars had more room in the interior compared to any 94-up stang

Wickd GT
02-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Remember where I heard it now.

The guy that installed Edgar's minitubs is the one that stated chromemoly cages expire after the 3rd recert. He also mentioned that there is not enough weight savings to pick chrome moly over mild steel to justify the cost.

Also, I thought fox body cars had more room in the interior compared to any 94-up stang

Exactly. The guy who did my minitubs, said to me that chromemoly is not worth the money, thinking it is going to save weight. When I got my car recertify, I ask the NHRA inspector about it, he told me, 3 certifications up to 4 maybe. Why? Most of the cars that have these cages are running in the 8.50s or faster, chassis fatigue and cages start to give a bit, movement, that's why most of these cars sell them after a season or back to the chassis shop to replace old ones and add new ones to reinforce it more. This what he said " Why do you think NASCAR boys use mild steel" so when they crash the mild steel bends, he said can you imaging a Nascar car built only of chromemoly?

Edgar

96GTS
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Never had a fox so I cant comment. Maybe their 94+ cages just suck.