PDA

View Full Version : Brake help

SlowJoe
02-24-2007, 05:10 PM
We are working on a 91 LX with a 429 in it. We went with a manual brake master cylider.It still has the stock 4cyl brakes up front, that will change!It has the thunderbird turbocoupe rears that are disk.We need to know how to get some good brakes on this thing bad.But it has to stay with a small master cylider because of the BBF.

SvoBrown
02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Booster should be ok, just need a bigger master cylider. The bore sizes is larger on the disc brake mustang compared to the drum one. One out of a svo would be just right. You need the valve thing for it to. What is it call.

Autozone is a cheap place to get one and new. I have a brake booster off and explorer that barly fit with new holes and alittle hammer work. Smooth brake with half the foot.

SlowJoe
02-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Can't run a booster, it hits the valve cover.And i know the valve You are talking about.It starts with a P i think.lol

I edited my first post sorry

SvoBrown
02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Pinto?

SlowJoe
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
pinto what?

QWKSNKE
02-24-2007, 06:56 PM
proportioning valve

SlowJoe
02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
yea thats it.i need a pinto?

SvoBrown
02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Look for a pinto master brake cylinder. They may be small enough to fit your tight spot.

Craig K.
02-25-2007, 07:14 AM
You could try and run an SVO M/C however because the piston bore is so large, it may not fit the manual M/C adaptor plate.
This is the problem I ran into years ago, however I was using a Ford manual M/C plate, not an aftermarket one.

Secondly, since the bore size of the SVO M/C is so large, pedal effort might be very high, not sure.

Also what front brakes are you planning on running?
The caliper piston bore size and amount of fluid you will be trying to move really dictates how big your M/C bore size must be.

I suggest you guys figure out
what fron calipers / rotors you want to use, then go from there.

SlowJoe
02-25-2007, 08:15 AM
we are planing on putting the gt front brakes on it.

SvoBrown
02-25-2007, 08:16 AM
What kinda driving will he be doing. For just the strip you could go light on brakes.

Like Craig said the brake petal will be hard to push.
Do it right and find something that will stop that baby on a dime.

SlowJoe
02-25-2007, 08:27 AM
it will be some street driveing but mostly strip

Craig K.
02-25-2007, 03:22 PM
At a minimum

SVO M/C
SVO front calipers (73mm piston size instead of 65mm which are the size of GT)
Stainless steel caliper sleeves in the calipers (replaces the rubber bushing).
Adjustable brake bias valve

The only thing of question is if the SVO M/C bore will fit your manual brake adaptor hole, and how hard the pedal push will be.

SlowJoe
02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
thanks for the help.

86GT
02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
When I did mine conversion to the T/C disc I had to gut the proportional valve with the kit supplied by Motorsport. The kit consisted of a single bolt that had the rubber tip removed and was a solid bolt. This gave equal pressure to the front and rear.

I also upgraded the M/C. The original has a piston diameter of 7/8 or something likt that. The old 84-86 SVO steal unit had a diameter of 1 inch. The 93 cobra also has a three inch but it is a plastic unit. The 93 Cobra one also only has three ports on it rather that the two ports.

Some say you will need an adjustable proportional valve that will replace the coupler on the passenger side firewall. I found that I did not need it. There is a bunch more stuff that has to be done on the rear to get the T/C brakes to fit. If you need i have a write up on how I did it if you want it.

Since all of that I went with the SN95 setup for the 5 lug conversion. One last thing. I have read somewhere that you could use the newer style brake booster that is on the 96+ to conserve space. Not to sure on what modifications it would take.

SlowJoe
02-26-2007, 04:56 AM
we have the t/c rear under the car now.the disc are hooked up.We just do not have good stopping power.

86GT
02-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I would atribute that to the brake boost but since you are limited on the space I would look into the new style brake booster and see if you have room for that.

Disney Lincoln
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Ok, the SVO MC has a 1 1/8" bore. It will fit into MOST manual brake adapters. I have one on my 79 (460) with the Holcomb manual brake adapter. You will need an adjustable prop. valve to get it right. they are cheap and easy to install.

You will notice that with the SVO MC and Fox V-8 front brakes (be it Mustang or the 73mm Mark VII/SVO calipers) that you now have a very high pedal effort. This can be fixed!! You have to remove the pedal box from the car and move the pin anchor for the MC rod up about an inch. That will give you the leverage you need to hit the brakes and not feel like it's not stopping. You done have to shorten the pedal rod when you do this, but it will move the pedal down to a more comfortable position.

You will probably have to put a limiter on the pedal itself so that it doesn't pull up and out of the MC bore. Mine would come out under acceleration and if I went to hit the brakes real quick (end of the track) the pedal would have swung up over my foot and I would get it caught on there.

I eventually went to Stange brakes on the front. Man..... I'll never look back!!

Italian LX
02-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Mine would come out under acceleration and if I went to hit the brakes real quick (end of the track) the pedal would have swung up over my foot and I would get it caught on there.
Yikes! That sounds like it would be a little scary. :eek:

coupe
02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Strange Brakes :drool: :drool:

Geez Disney...You've come a long way since the days of Junkyard Lincoln stuff! Badass Brakes :nice:

SlowJoe
03-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok, the SVO MC has a 1 1/8" bore. It will fit into MOST manual brake adapters. I have one on my 79 (460) with the Holcomb manual brake adapter. You will need an adjustable prop. valve to get it right. they are cheap and easy to install.

You will notice that with the SVO MC and Fox V-8 front brakes (be it Mustang or the 73mm Mark VII/SVO calipers) that you now have a very high pedal effort. This can be fixed!! You have to remove the pedal box from the car and move the pin anchor for the MC rod up about an inch. That will give you the leverage you need to hit the brakes and not feel like it's not stopping. You done have to shorten the pedal rod when you do this, but it will move the pedal down to a more comfortable position.

You will probably have to put a limiter on the pedal itself so that it doesn't pull up and out of the MC bore. Mine would come out under acceleration and if I went to hit the brakes real quick (end of the track) the pedal would have swung up over my foot and I would get it caught on there.

I eventually went to Stange brakes on the front. Man..... I'll never look back!!

Thanks alot!Thats what i need to know.