PDA

View Full Version : Rounded off nut/bolt!HELP!!!

oo-gonzo
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey, trying to change over to some BBK underdrive pullies. One of the heads on the crank pully is rounded off. I can't get anything, even vise grips to hold onto it. Tried some specially made sockets from advance auto parts, but I need a 12mm and an 11mm is the closest they have. It wouldn't work. I need some advise. I do not want to remove the radiator to get a drill on it. HELP!

CrimsonGT
02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
try a chisel punch and hammer to walk the bolt out, but be careful.
If you don't know what I'm talking about then don't try it.

natedawgg94
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
i agree with the above that would be the easiest

QWKSNKE
02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Go to sears and get an item called 'Bolt-Out'

Comes in a plastic case with 5 special sockets that are made for removing damaged bolts.

The number on my kit is.. 52060

Italian LX
02-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Go to sears and get an item called 'Bolt-Out'

Comes in a plastic case with 5 special sockets that are made for removing damaged bolts.

The number on my kit is.. 52060
He may not beable to fit it on there depending on how close to the edge of the pulley the bolt is.

Just drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use an easy-out.

:yup:

CrimsonGT
02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
He may not beable to fit it on there depending on how close to the edge of the pulley the bolt is.

Just drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use an easy-out.

:yup:

this should work real good
before drilling a hole in it tap(fairly hard but not so hard as to brake something) on it with a punch in the center of the bolt, I have been surprised at how many stubborn bolts i have freed up that way in the past few years working breakdown maintenance on machines

Disney Lincoln
02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Is it the stock crank pulley? 5.0 correct?? If so, then it should be a 9/16" bolt. If aftermarket, you're screwed. Get the drill out.

SvoBrown
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
And if all else fails. Weld a socket onto it and hope it holds. Thank God for the mig welder in times of shame.

oo-gonzo
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Guy's, I tried every kind of hand tool available with no success. i will be taking it to the mechanic this week to let them pull the radiator and all. I know that I could probably do it, but hey, I'm lazy and don't want to mess with it! Thanks!

rtusnake
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
I have a whole set of the sockets lee is talking about. Mine is a 10 piece set if you wanted to give them a try

oo-gonzo
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm gonna be leaving it at the shop for exhaust and tune soon. I'm just gonna let them handel it. Thanks though!

bill302
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
how long do you think it will be before you get the pullys off....so i'll know if i need to reinstall the underdrives on mine...its no problem for me, but im going this week or next to get a tune myself....

oo-gonzo
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Bill, I am gonna try to take it tommorrow(Friday). If that does not work out, then it will be monday. I would like to send the bbk's with it for them to put on. can you call me tommorrow during the day?