PDA

View Full Version : cam questions

tayzoid1
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
first of all i have a 91 5.0 150k on her oil all changed and running good well when i got it it was running rough so i put on a new pres. reg and went through the whoel system and nothing is clogged i also put on a new fuel filter and k&n filter its running better but when i sit still at idle for a little bit it will still the rpms will drop low and run rough i need to klnow if i have a cam or not it doesnt run like its a fuel thing becaus eit should sputter and spit before revving up but it runs great and i need to know if it has a cam in it or not the guy i bought it from said it should be stock but i see a new waterpump. and i also need to know how bad it would be to install a cam in my car and if would be that hard to install and how long would i be w/o a car?

QWKSNKE
03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
To someone who has never done one, a cam swap would probably have the car down for 2 days.

The timing needs to be checked and possible a tune up needs to be done on the car. Both of those items will cause a car to run rough if they are not right

coupe
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
It's probably a stock cam. They chug a little and sound rough when they drop down around 500 RPM.

It's not a bad job...in fact, it's very convenient during a head-swap. :yup:
There are some tappet-tools though that hold the lifters up so you don't even have to take off the intake manifold! Just valve covers and front cover.

Keep in mind, it's always good to check valvesprings during a cam change. Stock 150k mile springs aren't adequate for an aftermarket cam.

TheJeanyus
03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
The rough idle could also be caused by a small vaccum leak. :shrug: My '95 T-bird idled like a 460 with a .600 lift cam in it because it had such a bad leak. :jester:

coupe
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Where ya at tayzoid1? I'd gladly look at the car, as I'm sure others here would do also.

tayzoid1
03-03-2007, 11:05 PM
im down in coldwater just out side of oxford if you know where coldwater creek is i live on the road that goes over the small bridge

QWKSNKE
03-04-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm in the area and could check the car out. Just let me know when is a good time