PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Guys - Free Air Subs?

CrazyInBlack
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I have been out of the stereo game for a long time but was wondering if they still make free air subs. A buddy of mine had some 6x9s made by Kicker and they bumped. Or if anyone else has ideas how to get bass from a 6x9 hole let me know. I am trying to keep my truck free so I can put other things in there :jester:

Wall96cobra
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
To really make a free air sub work right you need to totally seal off the trunk compartment from the cabin/interior. I've done this before by cutting a board for the subs to mount on then secure it to back of the seat support structure. After all of the wires were ran I sealed all the holes/openings with fiberglass and spray foam for the harder to reach areas. Alot of people just mount free air speakers on a board and go with it but to make a speaker sound right the front and rear sound waves must be separated from each other unless of course you have a tuned port. It really does make a BIG difference if it's done right.

CrazyInBlack
03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I was going to put them in the 6x9 holes

ncontt
03-15-2007, 08:56 PM
what are your sound goals?

CrazyInBlack
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
general good sound, got some MB quarts 2 ways up front

ncontt
03-16-2007, 03:58 PM
k, didn't know if you were looking for SPL or what...lol. I would just do a simple 10 in a small enclosure and put some decent 6x9's in for some "fill". I have the MB's up front in mine too, I think I may take the 2 10's out of the wife's civic and put my 1 12" SOLOBARIC in there instead, UNLESS I come across a deal on some of the new solobaric's.

CrazyInBlack
03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I like the old round solo barics but I think the new ones do not sound as nice. I do have an old 12 and amp, it is just going to be crowded with the battery and such

Italian LX
03-19-2007, 09:41 AM
If you're not looking for huge SPL's and just want a good bass kick with all your music, I recommend getting a single 10" bazooka tube and a nice amp. I use this set-up in both my cars and am extremely satisfied with the punch and volume of the bass. Also, the enclosures are relatively light, easy to remove, and don't take up a whole lot of space.

If you ever want to hear mine, just let me know and we'll meet up somewhere.

On a side note, I highly recommend an amp with a remote level control. I have a Kicker amp in the Mustang and an MTX amp in the BMW and both have level knobs that I have mounted up front. It makes it a lot easier to adjust the bass level between different styles of music... or just when you want to crank up the bass a bit.

qkjuicedpony
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
i have a great sounding alpine 10" and a selection of truck boxes for sale