PDA

View Full Version : not one but 2 problems now omg!!!!!

tayzoid1
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
now the roar in my rear end has turned from a dinosoar to a very angry bird its chirping really bad now so i have to park it and im getting a gearinstall from97cobra i think? and now i need to put it in and well i went to freds transmision shop and he said probably around 300_400 just for install not including parts with is 50 bucks any body got any ideas beside doing it myself which i dont want to but i might have to becous i have alot better stuff to spend 400 dollars on so anybody got a good shop that would put me some bearings in?:headbang: ahh soo complicated!!!

joker
03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
now the roar in my rear end has turned from a dinosoar to a very angry bird its chirping really bad now so i have to park it and im getting a gearinstall from97cobra i think? and now i need to put it in and well i went to freds transmision shop and he said probably around 300_400 just for install not including parts with is 50 bucks any body got any ideas beside doing it myself which i dont want to but i might have to becous i have alot better stuff to spend 400 dollars on so anybody got a good shop that would put me some bearings in?:headbang: ahh soo complicated!!!!
Unless you are rather mechanically inclined, I wouldnt even attempt a gear install. If the pinion doesnt get shimmed correctly on the reassembly then your gears will be have a permanent whine to them. There should be places that will do them for around 300 or maybe less, and as far as parts just get you a install kit from gef racing. I think they run about $30. If you have a few extra $$$ then it would also be a good time to freshen up the differential as well.

tayzoid1
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
well ive done clutch installd and head swaps and stuff like that just little stuff here and there but ive never massed with anything like a rear end before but i didnt know that it was going to be this exspensive just for some bearings

Disney Lincoln
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
That's way too much. I do gear and install for $450 with NEW gears and install kit. That place is trying to rip you a new one.

QWKSNKE
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I am in anniston the area and do gear installs. $225 labor...

ujslost
03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
$225 just for labor LEE? Not including friction modifier and dope, and gear set? If so I might come see you. I been thinkin about buying a dial indicator and doing a gear install, i got a lift at work so its no problem. Just never used a dial indicator for a gear install before.

QWKSNKE
03-24-2007, 04:54 AM
$225 just for labor LEE? Not including friction modifier and dope, and gear set? If so I might come see you. I been thinkin about buying a dial indicator and doing a gear install, i got a lift at work so its no problem. Just never used a dial indicator for a gear install before.

that is correct. (does not include any fluids) I have done so many, I don't use an indicator anymore. All by feel

ujslost
03-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Ive done 2 before, one like you said with feel. 2nd i took out of a stock rear end and just put in another so i measured the treads sticking past the pinion nut with a caliper and just reset it to that depth when i reinstalled.
I have another question. Im gonna get 4.10s and i noticed some cheap motive gears on ebay. but ive heard that motive gears wine no matter what.
that true?????

SvoBrown
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
After my last gear change I almost gave up the job. Some are simple and others are just fighting you all the way. I have to give Lee some thanks on the keep on till it gives up.
$225, not a bad price knowing it is right.

QWKSNKE
03-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Ive done 2 before, one like you said with feel. 2nd i took out of a stock rear end and just put in another so i measured the treads sticking past the pinion nut with a caliper and just reset it to that depth when i reinstalled.
I have another question. Im gonna get 4.10s and i noticed some cheap motive gears on ebay. but ive heard that motive gears wine no matter what.
that true?????

I prefer to install FRPP gears. 95% (30-40 jobs) of my installs have been with FRPP's. I have used some motive gears with no problems though

94five0
03-24-2007, 10:46 PM
i had gear motive in my 94 GT. never whined once...

but they were installed by a Ford dealer Tech... its definitely not a "slap her in an go" job.