PDA

View Full Version : Smog Pump Bypass

CrazyInBlack
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
is there any reason besides the 5 pounds I would save in the front not to just bypass it?

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00069.html

Disney Lincoln
03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Cleans upithe engine compartment a lot when yuo get rid of all the smog stuff.

Italian LX
03-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Cleans upithe engine compartment a lot when yuo get rid of all the smog stuff.
:werd:

Cleaning up the engine compartment every way you can is time well spent, IMO.

CrazyInBlack
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
is there any trick to removing it? will I throw a code if I do? Will I still need that belt? Is there anything else I should remove?

SkurdalenFox
03-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Assuming that it's the same as the mustang stuff, it'll throw a couple of soft-codes (the CEL won't turn on) for the solenoids that activate the diverter and by-pass valves. Off the top of my head the codes are 81 and 82.

You'll either need a short belt or a pulley. The belt is cheaper.

Remove the metal tube at the back of the heads and plug the Thermactor holes. There are plugs made for this, some people spark plugs, or you can get a couple 5/8" 11 bolts. Trying to get anything into those holes will be a pain though. I'm sure they're nicely carbon'd up, and being right against the bulkhead doesn't make it an easy task.

You'll need to plug the exhaust inlet in front of the catalytic converters.

You'll also need to remove/plug the associated vacuum lines. It's pretty simple, but let me know if you need a diagram.

bill302
03-21-2007, 09:49 PM
is there any trick to removing it? will I throw a code if I do? Will I still need that belt? Is there anything else I should remove?

click on link below...
http://www.allfordmustangs.com//techarticles/Smog2.pdf

Disney Lincoln
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Remove the 3 10mm bolts from smog pump. Then you can unbolt the pump. there is an annoying bracket on the bottom you'll haev to take off too.

On the thermactor holes on the back of the heads.... What I generally do on older motors (carboned up) is I take the tubes off, then cut the blocks off the ends then I turn them over and bolt the back (flat) side back down and that plugs them off.

Unhook the TAB and TAD solenoids and remove them fromt he car. Remove the vacuum lines for them too. Unhook vacuum to the EGR valve. Remove line going to H-pipe and crimp that off down there too.

Short belt.

SkurdalenFox
03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Unhook vacuum to the EGR valve.

To clarify this for you Crazy, the EGR and Thermactor systems operate independently of one another.

Given your previous thread, I think you want to keep the the EGR, and its fuel efficiency benefits. Therefore you needn't remove the vacuum line to the EGR valve.

natedawgg94
03-23-2007, 07:35 PM
i didn't see any difference in the gas mileage after deleting mine but on a lincoln u might. i'm sure it wont make that big of a difference