PDA

View Full Version : cooling problem....still

dylan020
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
well, after driving around for not too long the temp shoots up to to about the A in NORMAL on the gauge. I noticed that if i keep the defrost w/ heat on...it doesnt get back the O/R. I've tried to flush the radiator and changed the cap. Is there any chance the underdrive water pump pully could be causing this?? just trying to get an idea before I go replacing the radiator, water pump, and all that route. thanks guys

Gregg

1sicklx
04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
are you sure the fan is working properly?

dylan020
04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
it comes on but im not sure exactly what temp...was reading it's supposed to come on at 208* but i have no way of knowing exactly when it comes on

1sicklx
04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
has the t-stat ever been replaced? Waterpump?

dylan020
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
not that i've owned it....everything is stock so thats why I asked about the pullies. I tried to do the t-stat but I couldnt get the damn hose off, felt like it was concreted to the t-stat housing (doesnt help im pretty short on tools)

1sicklx
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
ok ... one more question ... when you flushed the radiator ... did you make sure that all of the air was out of the system when you refilled the radiator?

mustangsteve
04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
not that i've owned it....everything is stock so thats why I asked about the pullies. I tried to do the t-stat but I couldnt get the damn hose off, felt like it was concreted to the t-stat housing (doesnt help im pretty short on tools)

Yes the Pullies will make it run hot, My 89 LX 5.0 did the same thing when I installed Underdrive Pullies so I put in a 3 row and 180 T-stat. After that I had no overheating problems.....

Craig K.
04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Greg,

I had the same problems with my 95.
The main item which fix the problem for the most part was changing the fan motor.
The 94-95's are notorious for haveing the fan motors build up more and more resistance, then eventually they will lock up and could cause a fire. Ford actuallt did a recall were they put a circuit breaker in at the connector on the fan motor.

You can get a lifetime warranty fan motor at Autozone (made by Siemens) for around $50-$60.

When you have an old one out, you can spin it over and compare to a new one, you will be amazed at how hard an old one is to turn over.

You can also do a key on / engine off test which will cycle both fan speeds.
Sometimes on the 94/95's the block box module (next to the over flow bottle) will go bad, and will not cycle the fan correctly.

dylan020
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Greg,

I had the same problems with my 95.
The main item which fix the problem for the most part was changing the fan motor.
The 94-95's are notorious for haveing the fan motors build up more and more resistance, then eventually they will lock up and could cause a fire. Ford actuallt did a recall were they put a circuit breaker in at the connector on the fan motor.

You can get a lifetime warranty fan motor at Autozone (made by Siemens) for around $50-$60.

When you have an old one out, you can spin it over and compare to a new one, you will be amazed at how hard an old one is to turn over.

You can also do a key on / engine off test which will cycle both fan speeds.
Sometimes on the 94/95's the block box module (next to the over flow bottle) will go bad, and will not cycle the fan correctly.

yah, i had the recall done back in high school but i should probably look into that as well

jon, yes...i made sure to burp the system

thanks for the help guys...guess im just gonna get a rad., waterpump, and fan motor just to make sure everything is in tip/top shape since i'll be driving to my parents in florida a lot soon!