PDA

View Full Version : So, how come there is coolant pouring out of my throttle body?

SkurdalenFox
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
This isn't really tech...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/skurdalen/HCI18Apr2007005.jpg

So, how come there is coolant pouring out of my throttle body?

triggz
04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Broken <something> with the coolant line in the intake? You could probably delete the whole intake coolant thing and fix it, afaik its just for emissions. Just guessing though.

Italian LX
04-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Most likely nothing is broke. You just need to replace both your throttle body and EGR gaskets.

SkurdalenFox
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Looks like the gasket was no longer gasketing.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/skurdalen/HCI19Apr2007031.jpg

Which leads me to another question; how the heck does one separate the EGR spacer from the intake manifold? I've been whacking at it with a hammer, trying to get a screwdriver between the two... nothing works! Are the studs threaded into the spacer? Anyone have an idea about what I should try?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/skurdalen/HCI19Apr2007033.jpg

coupe
04-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Need a screwdriver or something to wedge in there and chisel it away. The threads are only into the intake, the spacer slides on, but the other gasket is really stuck on there.

Italian LX
04-19-2007, 07:38 PM
You can double-nut the studs and screw them out of the intake. Then it may be a little easier to whack at the spacer to get it off.

ncontt
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
:werd:

SkurdalenFox
04-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Double nut - broke all the studs off flush.

Tried heating the the spacer in the hope that it would expand a bit an push itself off the intake. Nope.

In the end, I took coupe's advice and chiseled away at the damn thing. I managed to wedge a small screwdriver, and then a chisel between the spacer and intake. It didn't want to move with my light hammering, so out came the 12lb sledge... I got the chisel between the spacer and the intake, but the damn spacer didn't move a millimeter off the intake. I just bent the hell out of the intake and spacer wedging the chisel in there. :nono: Oh well... Finally, I pulled out the ol' angle grinder and cut the two apart. I always break ONE thing, but only one thing on every project. Glad it wasn't too expensive this time.

ncontt
04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
sounds like that coolant had been leaking for SOME time....welded the two together by the sounds of it...good luck

QWKSNKE
04-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Double nut - broke all the studs off flush.

Tried heating the the spacer in the hope that it would expand a bit an push itself off the intake. Nope.

In the end, I took coupe's advice and chiseled away at the damn thing. I managed to wedge a small screwdriver, and then a chisel between the spacer and intake. It didn't want to move with my light hammering, so out came the 12lb sledge... I got the chisel between the spacer and the intake, but the damn spacer didn't move a millimeter off the intake. I just bent the hell out of the intake and spacer wedging the chisel in there. :nono: Oh well... Finally, I pulled out the ol' angle grinder and cut the two apart. I always break ONE thing, but only one thing on every project. Glad it wasn't too expensive this time.

LOL. That's what I am talking about. If a part tries to whip you, destroy it :rofl:

Time for an intake upgrade