PDA

View Full Version : Subframes?

SvoBrown
04-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I need to know if this is a smart thing to do or not. I put new subframes on the svo and added on to an idea. I tied in the Kmember to the subframes and also used a kmember brace that goes across and under the tranny. You can see some of the pic. Still haven't welded them in yet so its just up there for the idea. The sub's go all the way pass the control arms 1"x2"x76"

Craig K.
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
In theory the more you connect, the stiffer it becomes.

I would go ahead and try it.
If you don't like it, you can cut the tabes off.

Sendero
04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
What grade fasteners did you use? Is the only mounting point that bolt into the K-member brace? Just "off the cuff", I think you might have a problem with shearing those bolts if you ever get the chassis bound up.

SvoBrown
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Why you got to ask questions I don't want to answer. I used the head bolts of my last motor. Not the torque to yeild but stock ford bolts for the turbo head. That will be a good test to see if it moves much.

Sendero
04-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Why you got to ask questions I don't want to answer. I used the head bolts of my last motor. Not the torque to yeild but stock ford bolts for the turbo head. That will be a good test to see if it moves much.

At best, they are Grade 8 bolts. At worst, they are some special bolt thats only rated for clamping loads (straight up and down) only. Either way, keep a close eye on them because it probably won't be a failure that happens in the next couple of weeks, but one that happens a year down the road when you're not even thinking about them.

QWKSNKE
04-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Why fasten it there instead of the k-member?

SvoBrown
04-28-2007, 05:44 AM
I almost built it as a complete rail to the front but there would be an offset to deal with. Didn't want to rig it without asking some questions and thinking more about it.
I have some 8.8 and some 10.5 bolts at work. I will replace them later this week.