PDA

View Full Version : Hey coupe, Turbo to look at.

SvoBrown
04-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I got a pic of the turbo I got from Evergreen about 6 years ago. Let me know what you think of it. Started touching the side of the housing and making a noise at 3400 rpms.
I also have the boblog header to compare to a ported E6. Even got a pic of the one you had done. The intake on the Evergreen turbo was .25 larger than the one I got from you. I'll have some better pics of the finish product later this week.

http://picasaweb.google.com/svobrown/Sept

coupe
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, without eyeballing a little better, I'd have to say the turbo you took off has a Grand National comressor wheel (7-blades). Not good for anything other than a Grand National. :shake:

The turbine wheel looks stock. See the little ridge in the housing bore just outside the blade tips??? That is gone in "my" turbo (last pic) because it has been bored open for the larger wheel. The one you took off has been what's known as "clipped" at two different angles, thus the curved in appearance of the blades compared to the one we built. That clip job allows a bit more flow up at RPM, but hinders response big-time.

The Stage 2 turbine wheel, unclipped in "my" turbo will support around 350-400 hp easy...and respond like stock or better. And the 50-trim compressor will out-perform the larger GN wheel in this application, don't be afraid to turn up the boost a little. :D Let me know what it does.

SvoBrown
04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Makes me want to get back down to the shop! This is the last upgrade for this car. Some time next week it gets a new paint job and then it goes in the road till something breaks.

Well I do still have the clutch and tranny upgrades.

SvoBrown
04-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Finished the project last night. Had to make a new down pipe to fit and make the oil return 1" longer than stock. In a few weeks I should be on the dyno and see how it runs.
Thanks Matt!