PDA

View Full Version : more timing questions!!

tayzoid1
04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
ok i did what yall said and found what i thought to be a timing mark it was the only notch that went across the harmonic balancer so i took whit out and ran it through the notch and waited a little while for it to dry cam back hooked up my timing light and no mark the only way you can see the mark is if you yhook the timing light to the #5 cylendcer and then you can barley see it i just tried to tune it by ear and when i got it down to where it sounded like it was ideling right i went to rev it up and it started back firing in the intake so i qdjusted it till it stoped the back firing and when i was done it will idel about 2grand and then after about 10 secondsfdrops down to about 1300 and its still sounds like its ideling real high but another thing that may have caused it was i cleaned my mass airflow sensor with carb cleaner can this mess up the mass air? i sure hope i didnt

QWKSNKE
04-29-2007, 07:09 AM
What notch did you put the white paint on? There are a bunch of marks on a balancer and only a certain range you should set the timing to.

tayzoid1
04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
i put whoite out on the only notch that looked like a timing mark i could find

QWKSNKE
04-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Its off then I bet. There are marks in 10 degree increments on the balancer

Italian LX
04-30-2007, 06:47 AM
May sound like a stupid question, but are you sure the #1 wire goes to the #1 cylinder. What I mean is, did you trace it all the way back to the plug or are you just using the "1" mark on the distibutor to tell which wire is which.

The reason I ask this is that I have seen dustributors that were droped in wrong and people just movet the plug wires around to match.

tayzoid1
04-30-2007, 08:02 AM
yea my distributor doesnt say which is which but my manifold does and i had it hooked to the first cylender pass side of the car and still no mark i cant find any more marks ill have to get up under the car and look better but as for now i cant find it