PDA

View Full Version : MAF newbie question

Mr.Slave
05-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Whats up fellas, im new to this forum and I was referred over here from someone at moddedmustangs. Im just putting my 89 mustang together and Ive been reading a lot on here and you guys seem to know a lot about tuning, so ill be asking you guys a couple of questions along the way. Ok, so down to it. I have a 70mm MAF that I bought recently and its supposed to be a cobra style MAF( not sure if it is a real cobra MAF or not ). I bought it with 24# injectors and like a dumbass I assumed the MAF was calibrated for it. Somebody told me that Cobra MAF's are calibrated in the computer rather in the actual MAF itself. I dont know shit about the EEC and all its components so, is that true? If you need more info or some pics of it let me know. Thanks guys!

Also, just as a background for me, I have a fair knowledge of cars, Ive been around them and worked on them all my life and I have an alright knowledge of computers so I will learn this quickly, just bear with me for a little while.

QWKSNKE
05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
That is correct. Cobra MAFs are calibrated in the computer.

Are you using any type EEC programmer? If so, then you can change the MAF transfer curve in the EECand use the cobra MAF.
If not then tell us more about your combo so that we can recomment the most cost effective way to get you up and running efficiently.

By the way, welcome to the site :nice:

Mr.Slave
05-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks! glad to be here.
No programmer yet. A TwEECer R/T is in the future but I have to put money elsewhere in the motor to get it back together. As far as what I have:
Stock block bored to 306, line honed hot tanked all that stuff. Eagle SIR I beam rods, Speed Pro forged pistons @ 10.13:1, e303 cam, Ford Racing steel crank, Trick flow main girdle, Twisted Wedge heads, GT-40 upper and lower, Aeromotive adjustable fuel press. regulator, BBK cold air intake, BBK equal length shortys, BBK X-pipe, Flowmaster 40-series mufflers with tailpipes, 70mm MAF, 24# injectors, BBK 65mm TB, 5-speed, 373. The fuel system is stock and so is the computer. I plan on uprading all that over the summer but for now I need to buy rockers, clutch, water pump, and a few other things that im needing but probably forgetting, to get the car running.
I also have a nitrous kit that I am actually picking up today if I like it. Im not sure what kind, and if its wet or dry, im looking at it in a little bit but im pretty sure im going to buy it no matter what, the guy wants $150 for it and its "brand new", which I doubt, but its still probably worth it anyway. I dont plan on using it until I get a bigger fuel pump and the TwEECer and whatever else I will need, but just keep that in mind when im asking about what parts I should buy. Thanks again!

QWKSNKE
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I would get a PMAS 75-80mm meter cal'd for 24# and be done with it. That would put you off from needing a tweecer anytime soon

coupe
05-03-2007, 01:46 PM
We got a clutch hookup here too ;)

:wave2: Welcome !

Mr.Slave
05-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok thanks, will do. I'm also wondering if the setup that I'm currently building will be Ok for a 150 shot. Should I step up the injectors before I spray? I would like to get 30# injectors with a MAF to match and sell mine. Would that be too much for my motor before I run the nitrous? I plan on a 255 lph pump. but I have stock lines and stock rails, It is a wet kit that I got today, and I dont know too much about nitrous. The way they had it hooked up was the pass fuel rail was tapped for the fuel solenoid in what looked like the schrader valve. Im not sure if this it the right way or not. I'm not too sure of what type of kit it is, Its a NOS but it says "super power shot" on one solenoid and "super pro shot" on the other. It is also a plate that goes between the upper and lower intake with 2 jets for the juice and 2 jets for the fuel.

Also one last question now that I have strayed far from the original EEC topic, the plate that came with the kit was out of a 95 GT with a cobra intake. My question is, will this plate work on my GT-40 intake? The way the runners are set-up looks the same but im not sure if it actually is the same, I havent lined it up with my intake yet so I may answer this question myself tomm. Ok thanks again guys!

Oh yea, and I'll check in with you about the clutch when I have the cash.

QWKSNKE
05-03-2007, 06:46 PM
30's would be to much for your combo.

yes the intakes are of the same design