PDA

View Full Version : 351 C 4v heads

mrmustangconvert
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I just need to know if those heads are any good. i mean that the intake and exaust ports are huge, you can stick a tennis ball in the intake. but the heads are a d3 casting. anyways im planning on getting a 351c 2v motor and putting the heads on it and see what they will do

TheJeanyus
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
They're great at high rpms. At low rpms they have low port velocity and low end torque suffers. If you're going to put a big cam in it and rev the hell out of it, they'll be awesome. Otherwise, try to round up a set of the highly-desired Australian Cleveland heads with big valves, small(er) ports (still WAY bigger than a lot of heads), and "closed" combustion chambers.

QWKSNKE
05-08-2007, 05:02 AM
That's a heavy ass motor to be sticking in a mustang

mrmustangconvert
05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
so how much heaver is the 351c compared to the 351w

LeeH
05-08-2007, 12:38 PM
so how much heaver is the 351c compared to the 351w

about 80#s

coupe
05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
The heads will do nothing for you. But there's a big enough following for the 351C that you might stand to make some $green off of the motor and those heads. :shrug:

LeeH
05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
They're great at high rpms. At low rpms they have low port velocity and low end torque suffers. If you're going to put a big cam in it and rev the hell out of it, they'll be awesome. Otherwise, try to round up a set of the highly-desired Australian Cleveland heads with big valves, small(er) ports (still WAY bigger than a lot of heads), and "closed" combustion chambers.

I ran Clevelands for years, Lots of myths and misinformation about them. Yes the ports are very large and not very efficient but many years ago MPG started making port tongues that raised the port floor, This increases velocity and flow. We have made alot of HP with the early closed chamber 4v heads heads, Cheap and effective. The Aussie heads are the same as the 2v Cleveland heads except they have the early 4v closed chamber, The valves in all of the 4v heads are 2.19 intake and 1.71 exhaust while the 2v and Aussie heads have 2.05 intake and 1.65 exhaust. The only exception was the 69 Boss 302 which had 2.25 intake and 1.71 exhaust.

Craig K.
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
At one time (when I was working in the motor shop) we were investigating runing a C head on a W block.

As I recall there wasn't too much you had to do (most machine shops should be able to do it), I recall have to plug one water port, and drill open another, but this was 12+ years ago, so I do not recall it exactly.

This would allow you to run those heads on a lighter W block, may be worth looking into.

TheJeanyus
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
At one time (when I was working in the motor shop) we were investigating runing a C head on a W block.

As I recall there wasn't too much you had to do (most machine shops should be able to do it), I recall have to plug one water port, and drill open another, but this was 12+ years ago, so I do not recall it exactly.

This would allow you to run those heads on a lighter W block, may be worth looking into.
Before doing that, I would sell the C heads to someone and buy a set of nice aluminum W heads. Easier, lighter, and would probably make more power. :shrug:

SkurdalenFox
05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
According to the Head Flow Numbers website in the sticky at the top of this forum, a set of AFR165 heads will out flow C4v heads.

Ford Racing.com has rudimentary instructions for making a Clevor.

Italian LX
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
The heads will do nothing for you. But there's a big enough following for the 351C that you might stand to make some $green off of the motor and those heads. :shrug:
:agree:

If you just want to be able to say "It has a 351 Clevland in it," then I'd say go for it. But if you're really wanting to put down more power and for less money, then you're better off selling the stuff and going a different route. There's just way too many selections of hardware for the Windsor blocks and years of proven combinations to choose from.

mrmustangconvert
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
but but thats heads that they ran in nascar back in the 70s and 80s

waypastcrazy
05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
The guys here are telling you straight up. I ran a 351 cleveland for about 10 years in a 67 falcon sports coupe. and parts are either expensive or hard to find.if you have plenty of money go for it if not listen to these guys. and yes you can make one run with 4 v heads but you need to spin it very high. I had 1.29 60 foot times but had a 5500 loose stahl with 488 gears with 26 inch tires. and when you set it up to run good numbers. streetability is tossed out the window.

TheJeanyus
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
but but thats heads that they ran in nascar back in the 70s and 80s
But that doesn't mean that now, in 2007, they necessarily make the best street/strip motors. I wouldn't even say they made the best street/strip motors back then. A 351W based motor bored/stroked to over 400 cubic inches with a nice set of aluminum heads, a good intake, and even a mild cam will most likely perform just as good if not better while costing less. Not to mention with the aluminum heads it'll weigh a good bit less.

FWIW, I have a '79 Mercury Capri with a 351 "Super Cobra Jet" out of a Torino. When it was running, it was really stout over 3000 rpms. Since I have a spare block and a set of 4V closed chamber heads, I started looking into building it up. That's when I decided that the Cleveland was really a thing of the past. They can make big power, but they're typically not very streetable due to their high rpm nature.

99LS1
05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
When I had my 73 it was pretty streetable aside from being loud. It really just depends on the setup. Unless you already have a cleveland setup stick with something else.

Although it is nice to pop the hood and sport the meaty Cleveland heads :yup: Lots of chevy guys mistook it for a 454. Man I miss that car.

mrmustangconvert
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
yea well i was just wondering what the 351c heads were all about.i got an 84 mustang with a 351w in it and its a c9 casting and that car is awsome with some mods that i did to it. but i thought it would be intresting to build a clevland, especially when you see the size of the intake ports its just awsome. but the velosity for the had sucks so that takes up the bottom end tourque, but i also heard that you can spin it up as high as you want because there is hardly any airflow restriction.