PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon or Cobra upper and lower?

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!

joker
05-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!
I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

If it was me doing a build, I would go with a street heat from trickflow. You'll see better numbers than the other two, and the cost isnt that much more in the long run.

QWKSNKE
05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

+1...

CrazyInBlack
05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
the Cobra seems to be a great intake

slvrbullit
05-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Well I am biased on this one since I have a Typhoon on my car. The typhoon is a Performeer RPM Clone so it would have close to teh same flow numbers as the RPM on the chart. I would agree with Jason and Lee on the casting quality if they were still new on the market but I recently installed one on Crimson Racings 94 and the intake did not have any excess caasting flash in any of the runners.

In choosing either one you will not be disappointed.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block :) that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.

coupe
05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
It'll all go together just fine. Make sure the head-gaskets are on the correct way. There is a front and rear.

QWKSNKE
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block :) that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.

Only issue you may have with the GT40p's is whether your current headers being compatible with them. Only certain headers work with those heads due to spark plug placement

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Well hell i'll just take em to my buddies dad who managers an exhaust shop and have him make a couple cuts and welds if necessary I guess :)

I should have the weld drag lites by the end of the week and the cobra upper/lower on order.

86nu
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
if you can find an explorer from mid 97 and down to 95, with a V8 they had the Non P heads, and you dont have to use the oddball headers.

Also, a cheaper alt is an explorer upper and lower. Theres a guy in nc if you want his number, ships them and the heads UBBER cheap

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Can you give me an idea on pricing for the upper and lower? I'd prefer the GT40P because I hear they flow better than the GT40's. I would like his number if you don't mind and like I said if you have any idea on what he'd sell the explorer upper and lower for i'd appreciate it.

86nu
05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
IM in bham, dont know where you are, but it was 300 shipped for the heads and 150 shipped for the upper and lower

Glenn
Pala-Alto Auto Salvage
Jacksonville, NC
1-800-227-0276

QWKSNKE
05-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Can you give me an idea on pricing for the upper and lower? I'd prefer the GT40P because I hear they flow better than the GT40's. I would like his number if you don't mind and like I said if you have any idea on what he'd sell the explorer upper and lower for i'd appreciate it.

They both are going to be about the same. I wouldn't just strictly look at the p heads. They are not going to show any significant gains

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey thanks for that hook-up. I'll call him this afternoon about the upper and lower intake. The gt40p's I can get locally though for $300 or $250 if I can talk him down but I know I can't beat that deal on the upper and lower intake. Is there a way to identify the explorer upper and lower?

SkurdalenFox
05-16-2007, 09:05 AM
This explains all the various incantations of the Explorer intakes, and compares the Explorer intake to the GT40.

http://www.badassmustangs.com/forums/index.php/topic,6876.0.html

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I tried calling today to organize that deal and it went to a like a phone disconnected beepign and said all circuits busy so I guess i'll try here in a bit but do you know if they have a long-distance number isntaed of the 800 number that might work? I'm having a hard time firguring out what I want i'm coming in to some money and could get my gt40p heads and upper and lower or just the upper and lower for now and my weld drag lites.. slicks and skinnies and I think the slicks and skinnies are more nec. at this point to have outta the way. Once I get her on the drag lites i'll take a picture of the poop coupe. She's nothing fancy, though.

86nu
05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
thats the only number ive used

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey guys good news. I was at one of the local street race hangouts in town tonight (BTW Knoxvilles street scene is complete junk... besides myself, a saleen and a z28 lt1 car everything else was just a bunch of hondas with motorswaps and nitrous. I've raced two of them and they still can't pull me just on motor :) )

And was talking to a mustang buddy of mine who I haven't seen in a while and he said he bought a notchback about two months ago and bought the FRPP GT40 intake setup and some used twisted wedge heads for it and that I could have the cobra upper and lower thats already lightly ported and matched to some ported gt40 heads with 1.6 FRPP roller rockers for $500! If all goes well i'll be picking all this stuff up on friday or saturday.

CrazyInBlack
05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
grab the TWs for me :nice:

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-17-2007, 07:20 AM
I could probably find you a used set around here for about $900 to $1000 every day. Also out of curiosity.. what can people expect from the GT40 heads and cobra upper/lower swap HP wise? Like I said its the gt40's from a cobra not 40p's, with roller rockers, light porting, and the lower/upper is port matched to the heads.