PDA

View Full Version : Rearend question

Mr.Slave
05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I have the stock 8.8 that I am putting 373's in soon. I was still getting posi and had no problems with the rear before I took the car apart, but I will have a lot more power now when it goes back together. Should I buy a rebuild kit? If so what kind and what parts should I be looking for to be included in this kit. I just want something to get me through the summer, I plan on new axles and a new locker or something like that this winter. Thanks guys.

Blown 5.0
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
By all means put in new clutches, Especially if you are already in the rear doing other work, We still have a few hardcore, who don't want to give up the stock limited slip ( its going to slip). New clutches usually last them about one full summer before they start going peg leg on the launch. P.S. i have saw advertisements for Kevlar clutches for the 8.8, I wonder how they would work?

QWKSNKE
05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
. i have saw advertisements for Kevlar clutches for the 8.8, I wonder how they would work?

Where did you see those at? I am willing to give them a try

Italian LX
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Where did you see those at? I am willing to give them a try
He may be refering to the carbon fiber plates they started putting in the '03 Cobra rearends. I'll be trying some out the next time I rebuild mine.

QWKSNKE
05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
We need to do mine again. That's why I was asking where to get them

CrazyInBlack
05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Lee what do you charge for a gear swap?

I am kinda worried about opening it up and finding it all eaten up

Hotrod
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I think you can get the carbon clutches from summit and Jegs as well as other Mustang sites.

86nu
05-16-2007, 08:59 PM
I have the stock 8.8 that I am putting 373's in soon. I was still getting posi and had no problems with the rear before I took the car apart, but I will have a lot more power now when it goes back together. Should I buy a rebuild kit? If so what kind and what parts should I be looking for to be included in this kit. I just want something to get me through the summer, I plan on new axles and a new locker or something like that this winter. Thanks guys.

Buddy of mine runs mid 6's on a stock rear end other than 3.73's hasnt had a problem in 2 yrs yet. Whether his is a freak or Not I dunno.

Craig K.
05-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Lee,
I believe Brian is right, they are put in some carbon ones it the '03/;04 Cobras, I saw some advertised on www.buyfordracing.com a while ago, I thought they were around $100 or so, but can't be sure.

Blown 5.0
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Not sure where i saw the ad, But i do think they were carbon fiber rather than kevlar. I think these clutches were stock in the 03-04 Cobra & Mach.

QWKSNKE
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Lee what do you charge for a gear swap?

I am kinda worried about opening it up and finding it all eaten up

$225 labor