PDA

View Full Version : Check out this new intercooler setup..

QWKSNKE
05-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Guy on svtperformance is doing some r&d on a new intercooler setup for prochargers instead of using the huge one (like I used to have with my d-1). They are using 2 small ones that bolt to factory mounts or holes and require no cutting of any kind to make fit (unlike the procharger intercooler)

http://www.houseofboost.com/twincoolers/DSC_0050.jpg

http://www.houseofboost.com/twincoolers/DSC_0052.jpg

http://www.houseofboost.com/twincoolers/DSC_0054.jpg

http://www.houseofboost.com/twincoolers/DSC_0066.jpg

SvoBrown
05-27-2007, 08:59 AM
And you can catch rabbits on the way to the cookout.
Clean looking setup.

ChipR4cam
05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I think procharger has a two intercooler setup like that for the F-1 on 03-04 Cobras. Maybe it didn't make production, but I know I saw it somewhere. No big surprise this comes from House of Boost. Those dudes do some cool stuff.:yup:

CrazyInBlack
05-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Clean looking setup.

:rofl:

clean setup :nice:

joker
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
That kit looks like it would be easily adaptable for a small set of twin turbo's :nice:

Italian LX
05-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Funny, but very true.

It's an interesting set-up, but hanging that low won't last long on at street car. I give him a about 300 miles before both scoops are riped completely off.

Not very well thought out, if you ask me.

coupe
05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
:werd:
A duct to the foglights would have been better...or at least somewhere else. That is not gonna last long.

QWKSNKE
05-29-2007, 07:59 AM
I think it has a chance at lasting. The scoops hang no lower than the factory air dam. They are also made where the scoops will break away if they hit anything

Italian LX
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I think it has a chance at lasting. The scoops hang no lower than the factory air dam.
I don't agree -- those things don't have a chance in hell of lasting. Looking at the third pic, you can tell they sit quite a bit lower than the factory diffuser; and besides, the factory unit is made of plastic for a reason.

I speak from exprerience with my ram air scoop I used to have. It was mounted directly below my LX bumper cover, which probably put it at least 4 inches ABOVE the bottom of his scoops. That thing got so eat up it wasn't even funny. I tried modifying it with a metal "skid plate" and support struts to make it more rigid. After that, any kind on incline or curb would try to pull the whole bumper under the car. Hell, when I had it on the Dragon Run, it would contantly scrub the ground when I would take any hard left turns.

I would be willing to bet money that those things will be ripped off soon after he hits the road with it.

. . .They are also made where the scoops will break away if they hit anything
I hope he has made a lot of replacement scoops, becuase they are going to be breaking away quite regularly. :lol:

93Cobra#2771
05-29-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with lee, scoops are at about the same point as the factory piece, and they are closer to the wheel as well. Closer to the wheel makes them even less likely to get knocked off since the wheel will be going over the bump at almost the same time.

That setup would also help the car stay closer to regular temperature since the intercooler doesn't impede flow to the radiator...

93Cobra#2771
05-29-2007, 09:20 AM
I used to run a March ram air, and never had any issues except in my own driveway, which was a pretty extreme entry/exit angle.

It was mounted right below the foglight as far forward as possible.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to see them made out of mold plastic, to be a little more "foregiving" in case something dinged them. :)

joker
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I think it has a chance at lasting. The scoops hang no lower than the factory air dam. They are also made where the scoops will break away if they hit anything
:werd: It doesnt look like it hangs any lower than the spearco front mounts that were produced for the svos.

coupe
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
SVO spearco front mouont...

But the Spearcos had a plastic scoop...for the very reason Italian brought up.
Grand Nationals hada blastic duct down there too.

The twin intercooler setup is a good idea, but he just needs some low-wattage Spaal fans or something and he'll never have to worry about airflow over them.

Jables
05-29-2007, 12:53 PM
:werd:

It doesn't look like it would be very cost effective if you are replacing scoops every couple of hundred miles.

Still cool setup....

QWKSNKE
05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree with lee, scoops are at about the same point as the factory piece, and they are closer to the wheel as well. Closer to the wheel makes them even less likely to get knocked off since the wheel will be going over the bump at almost the same time.

I think that was the intent with the design. Brian brought up an a good point in comparing them to the March Ram air kit but like Richard stated, the ram air kit scoop sits at least 8-9" further forward than these intercooler scoops do. To me this helps in not limiting the approach angle like a ram air scoop does. Think about it, how many times has anybody scrubbed the OEM air diffuser. The only time I have done it is offroading in people's yards :D (mostly my own)

I agree with coupe too. If there is room for a set of Spal fans to go on the intercoolers than that would be cool too.
They are only making this setup for the prochargers as of right now. To bad for them because I think they would sell more if they offered a similar setup for Vortech or Paxton blowers

Italian LX
05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Brian brought up an a good point in comparing them to the March Ram air kit but like Richard stated, the ram air kit scoop sits at least 8-9" further forward than these intercooler scoops do. To me this helps in not limiting the approach angle like a ram air scoop does.
Yeah, that definitely will help the design, however, I still think it won't last very long if the car is lowered at all. If he is retaining the stock ride hieght, then he may get some longevity by driving around carefully.

Think about it, how many times has anybody scrubbed the OEM air diffuser.
Not a good point.... my diffuser was ripped to shreds before I final just took the whole thing off.

Also, if you saw all the scraps that long-tubes suffer, you would probably realize that anything that hangs low under the car (even stuff that is located right at the wheels) is going to have to be designed to take a lot of abuse.

Sendero
05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Those scoops won't last long, you can bet on that. (Unless he has a set of lift springs on the front)

TheJeanyus
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Great idea, but I agree the scoops are going to get beat to hell. Atleast he made them break away so they won't tear anything up when they go. I agree with coupe about a duct up to the foglights to bring in air. :nice:

natedawgg94
05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
is it just me or did anyone else the horsepower that had a setup like this a few weeks ago but it was on a camaro i believe and the scoops were tucked in? which i could have been dreaming but don't think so i'll look tonight when i get home to see if i still have on the DVR.

QWKSNKE
05-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Great idea, but I agree the scoops are going to get beat to hell. Atleast he made them break away so they won't tear anything up when they go. I agree with coupe about a duct up to the foglights to bring in air. :nice:

That would require foglight removal = :notnice:

Italian LX
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM
That would require foglight removal = :notnice:
Fog lights are over-rated. :rolleyes:

:D

coupe
05-30-2007, 09:36 AM
:stupid:

Foglights are for soccer-moms in SUV' on sunny days.

93Cobra#2771
05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Fog lights are over-rated. :rolleyes:

:D

But GT noses look like crap without them... :)

QWKSNKE
05-30-2007, 11:03 AM

+++++++++++++100

QWKSNKE
05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
:stupid:

Foglights are for soccer-moms in SUV' on sunny days.

nope. that would be an automatic tranny :poke:

TheJeanyus
05-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think they look that bad without the fog lights. It would sure look better than parts getting ripped off.

coupe
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
nope. that would be an automatic tranny :poke:

:tlash:

QWKSNKE
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think they look that bad without the fog lights. It would sure look better than parts getting ripped off.

As long as somebody doesn't have a lowrider like Brian they should be ok :D

Italian LX
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
As long as somebody doesn't have a lowrider like Brian they should be ok :D
:slap:

. . . and I'd make it lower if I could. :p

Crzypny
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM

+++++++++++++100

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/Crzypny/Smilies/47.gif

I had to delete mine.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/Crzypny/Picture012.jpg

CrazyInBlack
05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
wannabecrazy - do you have a blower?

QWKSNKE
05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/Crzypny/Smilies/47.gif

I had to delete mine.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/Crzypny/Picture012.jpg

yeah but its not near as noticeable on an sn-95 as it is on a fox front end

ChipR4cam
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Function before form.:yup:

E.A.
05-31-2007, 01:21 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words! It means a lot, truly it does.
To address some of your concerns I will be looking tomorrow about another option as far as getting air to the cores.

Here is what I wrote over on SVTPerf, so I hope it helps.
Take care all!!!
EA

The scoops might just be something that I keep on my car and Jason's.
Since I have put about 200 miles on it with no issues, I will be keeping them.
And Jason has about 20,000 on his since installing them.

But since so many people have concerns with them, I can see about offering them with a Rubber Flap, instead of a scoop. IE: There will be a piece of black rubber at the rear of the core, that will act as a deflector for the air.

That way people can feel good about the flex of the rubber, and not worry about the scoops.

My daily driver is a 1992 LX Slammed to the ground on INTRAX springs, and I can tell you I never drag the factory air dam "flap" anywhere. I don't pull over parking curbs with that car, because I know what will happen. But I wonder how low some of these cars are that drag or hit that factory air damn. Hmmmmm

Here is a car that I also have put a set of the 3.5" thick twins on.
And this car has about 20,000 miles on it, since converting it to twins.

You can see the twins in this photo. ** Note he does not have the factory air dam yet installed in this old photo**
http://www.houseofboost.com/images/jasonk/jasonk_1.jpg

And again in this photo, and see how high they really are. And that car is lowered as well, as you can tell. The black peice right in front of the tire, is the drivers side scoop. (they are painted black on this car)

http://www.houseofboost.com/images/jasonk/jasonk_6.jpg

So with that being said, I better talk to my partners tomorrow about making a change to just using the rubber flap, so that address peoples concerns. I guess they can always add the scoops later if they feel like it.

Italian LX
05-31-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks for coming over here and sharing. :nice:

. . . and welcome to StreetStangs. :wave:

That's a beautiful LX you have there. (That means a lot coming from me since everyone here knows I'm not too fond of red cars or bullit wheels. :D)

93Cobra#2771
05-31-2007, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the board! And the rubber flap idea is a pretty good one, methinks...

QWKSNKE
05-31-2007, 07:19 AM
That's a beautiful LX you have there.

+1 :drool:

coupe
05-31-2007, 07:29 AM
So how many miles does your '93 Cobra have?

E.A.
05-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for coming over here and sharing. :nice:

. . . and welcome to StreetStangs. :wave:

That's a beautiful LX you have there. (That means a lot coming from me since everyone here knows I'm not too fond of red cars or bullit wheels. :D)

No problem on sharing the info.....
And thanks for the big welcome. :)

But I need to clear up that the Red LX in the photos is a 1991 LX.
It's owned by Jason Kelly a customer of the HOB. We built the car ages ago, but recently you can see it in a couple different magazines.

1) May of this year, we took it to the King of the Street Shootout for 5.0 Magazine. (Actaully you can see my ugly mug in that magazine lol)

2) "California Mustangs" has that car on the cover of their parts catalouge. So thats pretty cool for the old girl.

My personally daily driver is a Calypso 1992, here is a photo of her.
http://www.houseofboost.com/ea/myspace/eas_lx_warm_500.jpg

Well, we just wrapped up the install of a set of twins on my old roommates 700rwhp LX (385cubed, F1-R) and we shortend the scoops so they hang about half as far. I hope to get some photos up soon, so you all can check them out. I can't wait to get his car back on the Dyno and see how much pressure drop we get from being None intercooled, to the twins. And see what the inlet temp changes are.

Talk to ya'll later,
EA

coupe
05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
:nice: Nice Calypso hatch! Show us the '93 Cobra. ;)

ChipR4cam
05-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Those things really don't hang down that far at all. I don't see them being much of a problem if you're careful.

How does that setup compare efficiency wise to a regular front mount. Intake temps, boost drop, that sort of thing.

And of course welcome to Streetstangs, glad you decided to chime in.:jeanyus:

E.A.
06-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Those things really don't hang down that far at all. I don't see them being much of a problem if you're careful.

How does that setup compare efficiency wise to a regular front mount. Intake temps, boost drop, that sort of thing.

And of course welcome to Streetstangs, glad you decided to chime in.:jeanyus:

Thats what I am going to be data logging after the Power Tour is over.
This week is gonna be pretty much a 100% waste because of the PT

So once we all get settled back down after the event, I might get some more time to do some back to back testing.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
EA

qkjuicedpony
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I had a single intercooler setup mounted just like that with a similar scoop on an lx streetcar......ran it forever with no problems at all.