PDA

View Full Version : Piston ?

Mr.Slave
05-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I was just at the shop where I am going to start assembling my motor and I was talking about what I was planning to do with my car when I get it finished(more than likely when pigs are flying), but nonetheless, I was arguing with them that my pistons will hold the 475 - 500 hp @ the crank that I want to push, on the juice. With a good tune that is. They seem to think that in order to stay together at 500hp you need to spend $1000 on a set of pistons.

I'm not the most knowledgable in this subject so thats why I come to you guys. What do you think, are my pistons junk? They are forged Speed Pro's heres some pics. They are attached to Eagle Forged SIR rods.

I know some of you have made 500hp on a stock lower end and so that is part of the reason I base my argument that these pistons will hold fine, just looking for reassurance I guess.

Italian LX
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
They seem to think that in order to stay together at 500hp you need to spend $1000 on a set of pistons.
Yeah, that's total BS. I don't know where the actual power level cut-off would be, but any decent forged piston should be fine at only 500.

Obviously, this assumes a good tune.

coupe
05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
The giveaway is that they think $1000 is what it takes for a good set of pistons. You should be fine. The only limiting factor I see is those pistons are heavy and the rods will die at high RPM. I would not take it much past 6000RPM at the 500hp level. For fear of the rods.

QWKSNKE
05-29-2007, 03:12 PM
My $600 Ross pistons didn't have a problem with 525rwhp (6xx hp at the crank)

Then again neither did my factory hyperpathetics have a problem until repetive detonation.

Yeah your are fine!

Mr.Slave
05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Ahh, theres that reasurance I needed, Thank you!

The only reason I even asked this is because those guys build race cars everyday and, while they aren't the most professional, they do make some fast cars. One being a damn near 4000lb Catalina running 6.90's all on motor, and a Trans Am running 5.40's on 3 stages...... Yea, Pontiac guys.:drool: