PDA

View Full Version : Block cleaning

Mr.Slave
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Anybody got some tips for me?

I'm going through it with rags and soap and water then with an air gun through all the passages and then dousing it in WD-40 to repel all the water. is there any other things I should do or do differently?

Also, I let the block sit for about 2 yrs covered and the cylinder walls were coated in oil but I did get some surface rust spots on the cylinder walls.:nono: I went through it with a hone with some fine stones on it, and about a can of WD but there are still markings on the walls. Now you can't feel them at all, but you can still see them, and I forgot to bring my camera so I can't show you today. I'll bring it with me when I go back tommorow and show you guys what I'm talking about. If you cant feel them, should I be allright?

All the guys there said I should be fine but, again, they are Pontiac guys. I must have had 5 of them standing there talking shit while I was working on my block. Its ok though, I used to beat them with my 440 Cornet all the time so I all I have to do is to remind them of that and they all shut up rather quickly.

SvoBrown
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM
wd 40 = water in a can. Use light weight oil or the stuff you buy from napa to prevent rust flash over. Power spayer to clean it is good car wash is good.
Be ready as sone as it starts to dry it will try to rust. Make sure you open all the oil passages and clean them out good. Then do it again.

I use slide Mold Shield rust preventive.
slideproducts.com

The last thing you want is one little peice of grit going to a bearing.

Depending on what ring you use will tell you what hone to do on the cylinder walls. I have seen some super smooth with no hatch marks. Lots of new stuff out there.

QWKSNKE
05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
wd 40 = water in a can. Use light weight oil or the stuff you buy from napa to prevent rust flash over. Power spayer to clean it is good car wash is good.

agreed