PDA

View Full Version : Found a new project, worth it?

ujslost
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I found me a 94 v6 stang with a real solid body. Has a rod knocking. And I been thinking about buying it and throwing a v8 at her, not sure if I want to carb it or EFI it though. I have done this once before to a 90 model 4banger lx.
I just have a few questions about this 3.8 though. It is an automatic, will it bolt to the back of a 4.6 or a 5.0? Whats the differance in the drive shafts from a 3.8 to a 5.0 in the SN95 body.
See heres what i have going. I currently have a 97 black gt vert 4.6 5 speed.
I want to give it to my wife. But I thought about taking the T45 -5 speed out of the 97 model and sticking it in the 94 model behind a 5.0 if it will match up. Then take the automatic from the 94 model and stick it behind the 4.6 for my wife. Both cars are black cept one is a vert. Gonna build me the 5.0 up let the wife have the vert and make both cars look like twins from the outside appearance, cept 1 hard top and 1 vert. Kinda like a "HIS and HERS" type deal.

ujslost
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
how will i get my ignition working? this thing has a coil pack doesnt it?
would i have to just run some hot wires to a msd box, go carbed and use an 85 model dist.

04 Mach1
06-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Trans from a v6 will not bolt up to a 4.6 or 5.0. The t45 won't bolt up to the 5.0. I'm pretty sure the driveshaft is the same. To efi it, it would be best to find a donar car.

ujslost
06-06-2007, 09:26 PM
thanks for clearing that up. so the tranny will only bolt to a 3.8?
How hard would it be to use an A9L and an 89 model engine harness? what would I have to do there?
I have a EFI long block ready to go. Just have to deceide either efi or carb, which ever is cheapest and easiet to start with

joker
06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
If you are gonna do a efi v8 at least get the engine harness from a 94 or 95 gt. You can "make" anything work but all the trouble it would be just wouldnt be worth it to me. Also, if you dont have a complete donor for the efi swap it will be a pita rounding up all the parts. If it were me I would either go carbed or just save up the money and buy a 94 -95 gt. They can be had pretty cheap if you watch for deals. Sure they may need a thing or two done to them, but not near what you would go through with that kind of project. I did one carbed to efi project, and will never do another one.

Also, if I am not mistaken the fox accesories will not fit properly under an sn95 hood, so you have to round up that stuff for a sn95 as well if you dont already have it.

94 and 95 gt's were still 5.0 distributor cars, if that is what you are asking.

qkjuicedpony
06-07-2007, 05:12 AM
The fox accessories will fit under an sn95 hood.if the v6 trans is a 5 speed it will work with a bellhousing swap although the v6 5 speed isnt as strong as a v8 trans.the efi swap can become involved and you can swap it to a 94-95 efi setup or you can do a setup from a foxbody.

If this is something you dont want to get into....pm me the details on the car and ill come get it

04 Mach1
06-07-2007, 06:20 AM
I thought the sn95 efi system were not as good as the foxes? Why go throught the rounding up of the 94-95 computer and harness when you can get a complete wiring harness(aftermarket I beleive painless makes it) for a 5.0 for around 400 so you can stuff a 5.0 in any car. Sure all the gauages in the dash might not work but those usually get replaced. I have always wanted a 94-95 gt but came figured out if to have one it will end up being a v6 car first then swapping over to the v8.

druhma
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
I haven't posted much but here my opion on the subject. I have just rebuilt my 1994 GT. Just really a refresh with a bigger cam and fuel injectors to match. I ended up spending money on a piggy back computer to make it run right. I am fighting a hugh learning curve on the computer. If I would have gone carb I would be done messing with it and burning the tires off. If I had to do it over again I would have switched to carb. I still might end up doing that any way, just a lot of $$ and time wasted on the computer.