PDA

View Full Version : '93 and 94/95 Cobra Intakes

Scothew
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
How well do the 94/95 cobra intakes flow as compared to some of the aftermarket intakes out? Also of the 5.0 cobra intakes, which is better 94/95 or '93. If '93, can they be used in a SN95 car?

Just saw some online today forsale and was curious... Cause knowledge is power!

Purple1995Pony
02-14-2005, 06:11 PM
you can use a 93 on an sn95 but you need the adapter elbow for it. they are about the same in stock form as far as flow i think

QWKSNKE
02-14-2005, 06:20 PM
93 flows a good bit better i believe. I think Wall has a link somerwhere that shows different flow #'s of the pushrod intakes. Yes you can use a fox intake on an sn95. Personally though, if buying intakes i would go with one of the trickflow intakes over any FRPP for the money.

95GTMan
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Here is a flow chart of several different intakes.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/995/intakeflows.gif

QWKSNKE
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
that's the one I was thinking of Brandon :nice:

Italian LX
02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Personally though, if buying intakes i would go with one of the trickflow intakes over any FRPP for the money.
:werd:

Trickflow = teh win! :nice:

coupe
02-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Edelbrock Victor EFI :drool: my next intake.

svopaul
02-15-2005, 07:01 AM
How well do the 94/95 cobra intakes flow as compared to some of the aftermarket intakes out? Also of the 5.0 cobra intakes, which is better 94/95 or '93. If '93, can they be used in a SN95 car?

Just saw some online today forsale and was curious... Cause knowledge is power!

Uh....Scott....they won't fit your car :poke: :jester:

Italian LX
02-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Uh....Scott....they won't fit your car :poke: :jester:
Not yet, at least. ;)

svopaul
02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
Not yet, at least. ;)

If it's the discussion I remember having with him then it never will. He never installed the blower...what makes you think he will actually install a pushrod in it :poke: :jester:

Italian LX
02-15-2005, 07:31 AM
If it's the discussion I remember having with him then it never will. He never installed the blower...what makes you think he will actually install a pushrod in it :poke: :jester:
You may be right, but he can still shop around for for parts.

Besides, I can actually benefit from these parts when he decides to sell them for cheap after he chages his mind. ;)

93Cobra#2771
02-15-2005, 08:56 AM
:lol:

Scothew
02-15-2005, 09:09 AM
:lol: I was more curious than anything at this point tools :poke:

svopaul
02-15-2005, 09:34 AM
I got dibs on the worn out tired DOHC 4.6 IF he goes this route....but it's more likely that Italian will get a bunch of pushrod parts :poke: :jester:

Scothew
02-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Welp, if this route did happen, that worn out 4.6 would probably get parted out cause i could get decent money for the intake/heads/block/crank :jester:

Scothew
02-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Unless you wanted to work something out paul ;)

svopaul
02-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Unless you wanted to work something out paul ;)

Well I do have a complete SN95 5.0 HO engine here :poke:

Scothew
02-15-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd need that and a few other key things (wiring harness, computer, t5 and k-member)

Wall96cobra
02-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Dude you are ****ing crazy if you do that, if you want a 5.0 just sell your car and get a sn95. You really think it will be cheaper to go that way? Ask Lee how expensive it is, no matter which way you go it's gonna cost you.

Scothew
02-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Wall,

The way I look at it (and this is just my reasoning and thinking, no one has to agree or disagree, but i am sure someone will). The car has been wrecked hard before and whomever did the repairs (not through any insurance claims) did a crappy "quick fix" job. I am never going to get any decent amount of money out of the car in this condition. Its almost paid for so why not keep it and make it to where I would be happy as hell with it? I already love the style and interior so thats already got one aspect that I dont want to change.

The car isnt near its pristine state due to prior damage and repairs it has had. No reason to try to keep it that way in my eyes. Something i've always wanted to do since I was 16 was build a cool motor and put it in a mustang. I never said it was cheap or free. BUT however I can build a mid-high 300's N/A motor and convert the car over for cheaper than I can probably build a 340rwhp 4.6 motor.

Its sorta the same thing with you painting your car DSG. You had a gorgeous white paint job, but you really wanted your car that color. You could have easily gone and bought a GT/Cobra that came with DSG from the factory, but you knew what you wanted to do with your car and you did it. This is somewhat of the same thing.

Nothing is set in stone, nothing has been bought. I am just researching everything I possibly can on this to determine which cost is going to be best and which one is going to give me the most gains.

Wall96cobra
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
BUT however I can build a mid-high 300's N/A motor and convert the car over for cheaper than I can probably build a 340rwhp 4.6 motor.

Sorry I can't see that, if you swap you will have to buy a used 5.0 motor which even if you get one for $200 (assuming you don't rebuild it) that's only the begining because you will have to have a descent intake ($500) and descent heads ($1000) then a aftermarket or custom cam ($150-$300) wiring harness and computer ($200-$250) then there's the throttle body ($200) mass-air ($200) injectors ($150-$200 used) a t-5 and clutch (probably atleast $700) and this is not even counting all the misc gaskets and bolts etc that you will need. And this motor will not be a mid 300rwhp motor, you would have to up the compression or up the dissplacement to do that and there's a good chunk of change. If you want to stay n/a you can modify your intake and get some SHM cams pretty cheap and with a tune you would be close to 340rwhp, and if you want more do a cheap rebuild with stock rods, high comp pistons.

QWKSNKE
02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry I can't see that, if you swap you will have to buy a used 5.0 motor which even if you get one for $200 (assuming you don't rebuild it) that's only the begining because you will have to have a descent intake ($500) and descent heads ($1000) then a aftermarket or custom cam ($150-$300) wiring harness and computer ($200-$250) then there's the throttle body ($200) mass-air ($200) injectors ($150-$200 used) a t-5 and clutch (probably atleast $700) and this is not even counting all the misc gaskets and bolts etc that you will need. And this motor will not be a mid 300rwhp motor, you would have to up the compression or up the dissplacement to do that and there's a good chunk of change. If you want to stay n/a you can modify your intake and get some SHM cams pretty cheap and with a tune you would be close to 340rwhp, and if you want more do a cheap rebuild with stock rods, high comp pistons.

Jonathan is right Scott. Even if staying N/A you would be surprised at how much the conversion would cost even if buying a running stock 5.0. You can use my car as example

Before the rebuild:

Heads, necessary gaskets, rocker arms, fluids, and head bolts.......$1800
Cam swap, necessary gaskets, timing chain............$400 minimum.

All of this included the re-use of OEM cobra intake, OEM cobra t/body, and OEM cobra MAF, which are parts you would want to modify on stock 5.0 engine when changing heads and cam.

That had me at 295 rwhp.

Of course then you can remember that you have to buy new headers and midpipe.

If its something that you just want to do, then do it. Don't do it thinking you will go into it a lot cheaper than building your 4.6 or because you don't think that your car is going to be worth anything since it has been hit. Any blemish can be fixed when the time comes for a full on restore.

Oh and don't think that a pushrod rebuild is cheaper than a 4.6. You really don't want to know where i am at cost wise on my rebuild of the cobra. Jonathan's shortblock rebuild and mine were about the same (actually mine was more) and he PAID somebody to put is together. Only thing farmed out was my machine work. Brian and I have done all the assembly.

Scothew
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
I understand where you are coming from guys. And its defintely weighing on me. One reason I want to do this is because my car is acctually running at the moment. Which means I can put money back and work on it a little at a time. For some things I may look to buy used (i.e intake, injectors etc) to save some money.

I really do want to convert it to a pushrod if for nothing more than I've always wanted to do some cool conversion that no one else has done. I dont know of any other 331 mystics :)

Italian LX
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I really do want to convert it to a pushrod . . .
Looks like we have a mod-motor guy finally realizing the superiority of pushrod motors. :nice:

:D

QWKSNKE
02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Looks like we have a mod-motor guy finally realizing the superiority of pushrod motors. :nice:

:D

:shake:

joker
02-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I understand where you are coming from guys. And its defintely weighing on me. One reason I want to do this is because my car is acctually running at the moment. Which means I can put money back and work on it a little at a time. For some things I may look to buy used (i.e intake, injectors etc) to save some money.

I really do want to convert it to a pushrod if for nothing more than I've always wanted to do some cool conversion that no one else has done. I dont know of any other 331 mystics :)
I think it sounds awesome man. Who gives a crap about the whole pushrod vs mod motor thing. It all about having a good running car that you enjoy. You probably wont max out the possibilities in either platform., so go with what you like. Both are very respectable motors, just different in where they make thier power and torque.

Craig K.
02-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Scott,
Have you looked around for a 94-95 Cobra, perhaps you could sell yours for what one of those would cost you. I bought mine for $7250, I would think that you could get that for your car.

If you do deciede on doing a swap to a push rod, then why not do a 351 based engine? You could have the only Mystic 393 or 428 around, plus you could easily get mid 300's to the wheels and have a very drivable car.

Italian LX
02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
If you do deciede on doing a swap to a push rod, then why not do a 351 based engine? You could have the only Mystic 393 or 428 around, plus you could easily get mid 300's to the wheels and have a very drivable car.
If you go with the swap, I would agree with the 351 based motor. Mainly since you will have to replace everything anyway; you may as well get a beefier block in the process.

However, like Jonathan mentioned earlier, it's not going to be cheap (either way). So far, I figure it's going to cost me around $6,000 to do the 427 in the coupe after it's all said and done. :eek:

Scothew
02-17-2005, 01:45 AM
I had thought about a 351 but I dont know enough about them yet to really pursue it. I assume most of the same heads/intake modifications I can do on a 302 would apply to a 351. My question is, will it be able to be stuffed under my stock hood or Will I have to run a '95 R?

Italian LX
02-17-2005, 05:02 AM
I had thought about a 351 but I dont know enough about them yet to really pursue it. I assume most of the same heads/intake modifications I can do on a 302 would apply to a 351.
A majority of the differences revolve around the deck height, so it's pretty easy to learn what needs to change between the two.

My question is, will it be able to be stuffed under my stock hood or Will I have to run a '95 R?
Since you will need to buy new motor mounts anyways, you can purchase some mounts that drop the motor down a bit. This may get you down below the stock hood, but I can't be sure.

Wall96cobra
02-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Well if you do decide to swap I have a A9L computer, wiring harness, and fuel rails from a 90 5.0. I'll sel it for $200

99LS1
02-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Its sorta the same thing with you painting your car DSG. You had a gorgeous white paint job, but you really wanted your car that color. You could have easily gone and bought a GT/Cobra that came with DSG from the factory, but you knew what you wanted to do with your car and you did it. This is somewhat of the same thing.

Nothing is set in stone, nothing has been bought. I am just researching everything I possibly can on this to determine which cost is going to be best and which one is going to give me the most gains.

I rarely see DSG cobras running around. Maybe some GTs, but not cobras.

You had the means to push your car well over 300hp, but you sold it. Just buy wall's SC and put it on and forget about n/a :poke: :jester:

TheJeanyus
02-17-2005, 07:13 AM
I would think the stock hood could be used - that Saleen S351 that was posted a while back had the stock hood on it.

Wall96cobra
02-17-2005, 08:13 AM
I rarely see DSG cobras running around. Maybe some GTs, but not cobras.

:werd: plus it was ALOT cheaper for me to get my car painted DSG than buy a DSG cobra or GT since my car is paid for and they don't make a DSG in my body style.

ChipR4cam
02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
So, are you gonna put a carb on it Scott?:nono:

You could put a navi. motor with ported heads and cams in your car for the price of the pushrod conversion/motor build.

PLUS. Lee's car made the same power with a set of heads that mine did with an x-pipe and stock cat back.

If you want to go big power N/A. I highly recomend going to a navigator motor. You could even stick to your motor. Ported heads and cams would push you past 350-360. I've seen a 97 Cobra with just blower cams make 333.

Putting a pushrod motor is about the most redneck thing I've heard of in a while. Your car wouldn't be worth 5k with a pushrod motor. The reason you don't see it done is because nobody wants to do it. It doesn't make any sense. It's a true waste of time and money.

Sorry to sound mean, but I just think it's crazy.

svopaul
02-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Putting a pushrod motor is about the most redneck thing I've heard of in a while. Your car wouldn't be worth 5k with a pushrod motor. The reason you don't see it done is because nobody wants to do it. It doesn't make any sense. It's a true waste of time and money.

Sorry to sound mean, but I just think it's crazy.

So having a pushrod motor is redneck? I guess I'll be a redneck driving my cars that have pushrod engines. Then what do I become with a DOHC 4.6 in a '62 Falcon wagon?!? :shrug: :poke:

It's far from being "redneck" it's being different. The thing about Mustangs is that the owners can personalize the car the way they want. They didn't make DSG Cobras so Wall made one....They didn't make 5.0 Pushrod Mysitc Cobras and if Scothew wants to make one, more power to him.

I watched a Mystic go into a local Chassis shop in MD where it got a pushrod engine and backhalved.....I thought he was crazy for doing that to a Mystic but he wanted the paint color and at the time it was even more outrageous than it is now cost wise....but it was his car so more power to him.

My comments aren't about right or wrong because there isn't a right or wrong....I have always said Build your car for yourself, not for someone else. If a pushrod engine makes him happy then great, more power to him...if not then it's a waste. It's all about being different....I can't stand cookie cutter cars. People out there want to crucify Lee for doing what he has done to his '93 Cobra because it's some form of sacrilege but I say "Way to go!" you built the car for you and you enjoy it and that's what this hobby is all about ;)

ChipR4cam
02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I agree that there is no right or wrong in this. I just think you shouldn't go backwards in technology. He already has something better, and more refined why throw that away? I don't have a problem at all with people doing whatever they want to there cars. I mean, why be in the hobby if you want to leave it stock?

TheJeanyus
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
He already has something better, and more refined why throw that away?
I hope you brought your flame suit, Chip. :hiding:

ChipR4cam
02-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I hope you brought your flame suit, Chip. :hiding:

:D:D:D

Well, they can't doubt the more refined part.:dunno:

coupe
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
I see the 5.0 into a newer body sort of the same way as I do a carbed setup into the fox cars: there's thousands of them. I don't give a crap; whatever floats your boat.

joker
02-18-2005, 02:30 PM
More refined? Possibly. Better, well that is a matter of opinion. Scott why not just say screw em all and toss a 3v 4.6 in there. Trust me, they make pretty nice power :jester:

Craig K.
02-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Scott,
I thought about this on the way home from Indiana today.

Build a V-10 bi-turbo Mystic!
That would be different, lot of low end power, and would kick major ass!

Or to be really different and get good fuel milage, you could put in a 7.3 liter Power-Stroker. :jester:

I am serious about the V-10 bi-turbo

svopaul
02-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Why don't we just put a 2.3 Turbo in it if he wants power AND gas mileage :poke:

Scothew
02-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Scott,
I thought about this on the way home from Indiana today.

Build a V-10 bi-turbo Mystic!
That would be different, lot of low end power, and would kick major ass!

Or to be really different and get good fuel milage, you could put in a 7.3 liter Power-Stroker. :jester:

I am serious about the V-10 bi-turbo

You wanna help fund that lil project Craig :poke: I dont think there's enough room to get a v10 with a/c let alone 2 turbo's :jester:

Craig K.
02-18-2005, 09:26 PM
You wanna help fund that lil project Craig :poke: I dont think there's enough room to get a v10 with a/c let alone 2 turbo's :jester:

The room should be there, remember that Ford did a V-10 one off built on an edge Mustang a couple years back, most of the archatecture between a 94-98 and a 99-04 is the same.

The twin turbo's would be a challenge, but I am sure we could map up some creative pipe routing.

It would be different, and it would kick butt.

Scothew
02-18-2005, 10:58 PM
creative would be a good way to describe it :jester:

Wonder how much a triton v10 runs out of wrecked f-series :hmm:

hevymtl
02-18-2005, 11:31 PM
creative would be a good way to describe it :jester:

Wonder how much a triton v10 runs out of wrecked f-series :hmm:

More than you could scrape up.

Craig K.
02-19-2005, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't think it would be too much, they have been using them for years now.

svopaul
02-19-2005, 07:11 AM
It can be done..... :drool:

Purple1995Pony
02-19-2005, 07:45 AM
It can be done..... :drool:
yeah but that isn't a Triton V10 in that New Edge Boss351..... a Triton would need a 6" cowl hood to fit in there .... :jester:

I don't think you could do it unless you were Ford Engine Development and had your own foundry!

would be real sweet to have one though :metal:

svopaul
02-19-2005, 07:49 AM
yeah but that isn't a Triton V10 in that New Edge Boss351..... a Triton would need a 6" cowl hood to fit in there .... :jester:

I don't think you could do it unless you were Ford Engine Development and had your own foundry!

:slap: Quit shooting down his dream :jester:

Purple1995Pony
02-19-2005, 08:06 AM
:slap: Quit shooting down his dream :jester:

:gatlin: :drool:

:jester:

Craig K.
02-19-2005, 04:35 PM

what kind of V-10 is it then?
You would not need to have a 6" cowl if you lowered the engine in the chassis

tacbear
02-19-2005, 06:30 PM
what kind of V-10 is it then?
You would not need to have a 6" cowl if you lowered the engine in the chassis

The New Edge Boss 351 was built by taking a 4.6 DOHC block mold, grafting two more cylinders on it, then pouring a V 10 with short deck height and 351 cubic inches. 281/8= 35. 281 + 35 + 35 = 351. It had 2 computers and they ran the engine like they were running two 5 cylinder motors. Ford could have very easily built this motor and vehicle for the street. "New Edge" Boss 351 :drool: (here chevy, chevy, chevy).

95GTMan
02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
The New Edge Boss 351 was built by taking a 4.6 DOHC block mold, grafting two more cylinders on it, then pouring a V 10 with short deck height and 351 cubic inches. 281/8= 35. 281 + 35 + 35 = 351. It had 2 computers and they ran the engine like they were running two 5 cylinder motors. Ford could have very easily built this motor and vehicle for the street. "New Edge" Boss 351 :drool: (here chevy, chevy, chevy).

It has nothing on the cobra gtr v-spec though. :drool:

tacbear
02-19-2005, 06:50 PM
It has nothing on the cobra gtr v-spec though. :drool:

dam skippy :metal:

94five0
02-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I like womever had the idea about the sn95 5.0 cobra. sell your mystic. you could probaly get a good number for it, it being rarer. I see where your coming from Scott, the work required to make it a collector, in your eyes is a lot..$250 a pint for BASF, starts adding up reeeel fast. But I don't agree w/ changing its entity.. its engine, the soul of the beast.... even if its not pristine condition, it still commands prestige as one of the rarer mustangs to come out of detroit.. don't be hatin the 4v. you have a collector car. an w/ it, comes all the glory..and headaches.

as far as the 94-95 cobra: its a lil more power than the GT, your still in a cobra so your not steppin down in any form.. and its a cheaper platform to start modding from..initially..parts wise at least.. alot of the susp stuff is the same from 94-98 so you could start to piece it together. from whatevers on the cobra right now, an then go from there: heads, intake, cam etc..

but my wild eyed artist side comes screamin out and the whole stroker 428 in a mystic jus sounds reeely frickin cool..:D

ChipR4cam
02-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't agree w/ changing its entity.. its engine, the soul of the beast.... even if its not pristine condition, it still commands prestige as one of the rarer mustangs to come out of detroit.. don't be hatin the 4v. you have a collector car. an w/ it, comes all the glory..and headaches.