PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake problem

GTkitten
06-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Hidy yall,

So I've been hearing brake noise from the rear for a couple of weeks (I procrastinate on getting things fixed.) I took it into Jim Skinner Ford this morning for them to check it out. First they told me the pads were fine, and the brakes were okay. I then asked them to please drive the car and listen to the metal on metal scraping sound coming from the rear. They called me back and told me there was a broken part on the brake housing on the passenger side...they charged me for a brake shoe and lining kit, replaced the rear pads too. So I'm happy, yay! Car fixed!

Then after driving about 20 miles, I hear a wailing noise coming from the rearend when turning. Got out of the car and the wheel is very hot to the touch and smelling burning brakes. Blah!! It seems to me like that brake is stuck on or something..*sigh*. Car is back at home now, Ford place can't work on it again until Monday. My question is...yall think its okay to drive about another 35 miles back to the dealership? I just don't want to damage other working parts due to the heat...or start a fire right next to my gas tank! I could get it towed...or just stop half the way to the place and let it cool down which is probably what I'll do. Just thought I'd rant about it to yall! :)

SvoBrown
06-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Time for new rear brake calipers. The ones on my svo did that because of the plastic pucks in them . You could take them apart and clean them good. Drain the fuild and put new in.

To far to drive. You would really cook some stuff by then. Even blow out a rear tire. Could be the E-brake that has you in a bind.

QWKSNKE
06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
:agree:

Caliper is stuck and I don't know if I would drive it back. Then again the pads are going to require replacment again anyways due to the excess heat that they got put through when the caliper got stuck on your way home.

See if they will pick up the tow bill to get it back to the dealership since that is something they should have checked.

How many miles does your car have?

joker
06-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I wouldnt recomend driving it personally. However, the rear caliper on my 96 came completely off the car one night out in tarrant (mike aka goldntgt was there) and it made it all the way back to Leeds. Bear in mind I didnt have hardly any brake pressure becuase fluid was spweing out the rear brakes, but the car would still stop somewhat. With a stuck caliper though they will get so hot they glow red, and I dont want anything that hot near the gas tank.

GTkitten
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
My car has 101k miles on it...mileage getting up there. Is the stuck caliper their fault or could it have been the problem to begin with? It surely wasn't doing this day before yesterday...and the old rear brake pads were both 6 mm yesterday before they worked on them. I don't want them to talk me into buying calipers if its their mistake.
This really sucks! I have the bullitt brakes on front and I was looking at the rear kit that was gonna be $374.00. I decided to save money and just hopefully replace brake pads on the rear...get that rear kit next time around. If I end up spending more than that on some sucky stock brakes, I'm gonna be pissed! :P

SvoBrown
06-17-2007, 02:37 PM
When they put new pads on back they pushed the pucks back in the calibers. IT could have had rust or something like that in the cylinder and became a bad spot on the puck.
A good bleeding might help? Who's the barber here.
It would be hard to blame them.

GTkitten
06-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Well it ended up being the rear caliper bracket. I paid for the bracket ($38.50) and we split the tow bill in half ($47.50 each). So...my baby is fixed finally. :) Thanks for yalls help!

SvoBrown
06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Good news!

ncontt
06-18-2007, 08:35 PM
glad you didn't have to go "spidermonkey" on any one... :)