PDA

View Full Version : For the centri blower guys..

QWKSNKE
06-25-2007, 08:11 PM
There is a very interesting article in this month's (Aug2007) MM&FF about making a centri blower perform like a turbo.

They setup a wastegate and a boost controller to a blower combo. This allows you to run a smaller pulley on a blower such as a Vortech or Paxton so that you build boost in the lower rpm and then bleed it off in the upper rpm. This also does away with pulley swaps to "race trim" at the track. One pulley all the time and one knob in the passenger compartment to control boost.

Pick up the mag and read the article. It is interesting.

rtusnake
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Wonder how much it would help out with the tq on those blowers

Sendero
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I've seen something like this years back. I'm looking for the info now, but I believe someone was using a D-1 and a electronic wastegate to do "boost stepping" for the same effect.

uvbnhad
06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Interesting

Italian LX
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds interesting, but it seems that it would make the motor very inefficient when bleeding off the boost. The problem I see is that even though you're at lower boost by releasing some of the pressure, you're still generating high-boost heat by spinning the blower at the high boost speeds.

Maybe I'm mistaken.

I guess my next question would be, why not just go with a turbo?

coupe
06-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Many of the compressor wheels actually make boost between inducer and exducer, so...yes, the heat may very well still be there. And a problem with blowing off the boost is you have to recirculate it within the confines of your air-metering system.

And alot of the drag associated with the centrifugal blowers is in the gear-train and bearings...they overdrive the compressor wheel by up to 10:1 over the crank RPM (I would suspect in this application, maybe more). That is alot of power required, to overcome the bearing loads on the belt, the gear friction, and the boost generated at the wheel.

Sendero
06-26-2007, 08:38 AM
I guess my next question would be, why not just go with a turbo?

Packaging constraints? Take my car for example.

And a problem with blowing off the boost is you have to recirculate it within the confines of your air-metering system.

Blow-thru system?

QWKSNKE
06-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Many of the compressor wheels actually make boost between inducer and exducer, so...yes, the heat may very well still be there. And a problem with blowing off the boost is you have to recirculate it within the confines of your air-metering system.

Not if you blow it off before the metering system.

Intercoolers do away with the heat.

coupe
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
It's still a waste of energy. Takes alot of work to spin it up fast, only to release it...sounds like a full-blown lesson in inefficiency. Pun intended!

QWKSNKE
06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
It's still a waste of energy. Takes alot of work to spin it up fast, only to release it...sounds like a full-blown lesson in inefficiency. Pun intended!

You guys need to read the article..

we are not talking about overspinning the blower. We are talking about spinning at its efficient rpm which usually is a good bit higher boost than most people would want on the street or on the engines.

Take my old D-1 as an example. I had it pullied for 14psi but it actually was most efficient at a much higher impeller rpm than what I was spinning it at.

Scothew
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
I've seen something like this years back. I'm looking for the info now, but I believe someone was using a D-1 and a electronic wastegate to do "boost stepping" for the same effect.

Your thinking of the guy in Nashville named Eric that build a 5.4L navi motor and did that with a D1. Used to run modular4v.com but its not up anymore.

jfor441
06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
The whole basis of the article is that you don't have to change pullies between street and strip. If you run 20psi at the track on race gas, you can keep that same psi with wastgate and boost controller but bleed of excess boost for the street. With the push of a button you can close the wastegate and have full boost back to your motor. They still showed very good gains especially in the lower RPM's.

The article is talking about how blowers such as KB 2.8l make huge torque numbers right off idle. With the wastegate setup on centri blown car, you can have your car pullied for higher boost. At lower RPM's the centri blown car is making near identical torque numbers at low RPM.

QWKSNKE
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
The whole basis of the article is that you don't have to change pullies between street and strip. If you run 20psi at the track on race gas, you can keep that same psi with wastgate and boost controller but bleed of excess boost for the street. With the push of a button you can close the wastegate and have full boost back to your motor. They still showed very good gains especially in the lower RPM's.

The article is talking about how blowers such as KB 2.8l make huge torque numbers right off idle. With the wastegate setup on centri blown car, you can have your car pullied for higher boost. At lower RPM's the centri blown car is making near identical torque numbers at low RPM.

:yup: