PDA

View Full Version : Coil on Plug Information

Sendero
02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
How do they work? (I know the theory)
Each of those eight COP's is an individual charging coil correct?
99+ DOHC's that use them fire individually rather than in pairs? (in that they don't use the "wasted spark" of the 96-98 Cobras)
Anyone have a "used" one that I could have?
Anyone have a "used" COP harness from a 99+ vehicle I could have?

Any pictures, websites, or information would be greatly appreciated! :metal:

Sendero
02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Nobody?

Wall96cobra
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Coil on plugs aren't gonna give you any better performance and they do tend to go out sometimes intermittently which is a pain to troubleshoot and they are like $70-$80 a piece when you have to replace them.

Wicked
02-16-2005, 04:34 PM
How do they work? (I know the theory)
Each of those eight COP's is an individual charging coil correct?
99+ DOHC's that use them fire individually rather than in pairs? (in that they don't use the "wasted spark" of the 96-98 Cobras)
Anyone have a "used" one that I could have?
Anyone have a "used" COP harness from a 99+ vehicle I could have?

Any pictures, websites, or information would be greatly appreciated! :metal:

They work the same as with any coil ignition system. Except instead of firing 1 coil 4 times, in your case, you are firing each of 4 coils once. Still uses the same crank sensor as a trigger. Technically you should have less heat in the coil since a smaller coil has less mass to retain heat and also fires less.

96GTS
02-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Nobody?
I might have the harness. I will check tomm. You need the whole thing or just the part w/ the COP plugs?

Sendero
02-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I might have the harness. I will check tomm. You need the whole thing or just the part w/ the COP plugs?

Just the part with the COP plugs if you don't mind. (Which connects back to the EEC)

96GTS
02-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Just the part with the COP plugs if you don't mind. (Which connects back to the EEC)
Oh, I dont have it all the way to the EEC plug. Just where the COP strand splits off the engine harness....

Sendero
02-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Oh, I dont have it all the way to the EEC plug. Just where the COP strand splits off the engine harness....

Thats what I meant. Is there a plug that it goes into? Or was it a wire job?

How much you want?

96GTS
02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Thats what I meant. Is there a plug that it goes into? Or was it a wire job?

How much you want?
It was off the 01 4V harness that I hacked up for my 4V swap. I need to get over to my storage place and dig it up and I'll ship it out. Just pay for shipping.....I'll let you know when I actually have it (that pic was in my files)...