PDA

View Full Version : Steele 07/06 #'s Disapointing!

oo-gonzo
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Went to Steele tonight with some buddies had a great time, but I am disapointed in my car, or should I say, My performance. My first run was 15.00 flat and I progressivly got worse through the night with my final frustrating run of 16.17. What tha? I need help! Heres what I know I was doing wrong. 1-coming off the line way to hot for street tires, 2-mis timing on shift to 2nd.
My excuses are 1- I have no internal lights and cant see the tac, thus meaning I am shifting by feel, which obviuosly means I suck at it. I am completely missing the rev on my shift to 2nd gear. I feel like the car hits 2nd gear and starts pulling like a bat outa hell. Strong and hard. Then I get to high RPMs (6000-6500) and feel the need to shift. When I shift to 3rd. It feels like I am hitting the brake with a little tap. The car slows down before it starts pulling.

Here is what I have on the car, so tell me if I am expecting to much from so little. 94 GT stock block, PP upper & lower intake, 70 mm TB, Mac CAI (fenderwell) MSD ignition, Accell coil, FR 9mm plug wires, K&N filter, underdrive pullies, stock headers, UPR x-pipe w/ high flow cats., stock cat back, stock gears, stock clutch, stock shifter, street tires.
I am so disapointed with this, because of the time and money invested and the car is slower than the 96 stock GT, I used to have. Watching my buddy in a stock camaro run 13's didn't help any! I feel like I have spent all this money and the car runs just like it did when it was all stock! What gives? I know that I have a lot of learning to do on the drive side of things, but damn why can't I go faster?

coupe
07-06-2007, 11:35 PM
3.73's, some sticky tires, and a clutch should get you to the 13's, but you'll have to get the dash lights working. You need to look at where the motor is signing off...and never rev it there. With the stock cam, it might be hurting you going past 5,000 RPM.

And drive it like you stole it. That can be worth 5-tenths! :D

97cobrasvt
07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
3.73's, some sticky tires, and a clutch should get you to the 13's, but you'll have to get the dash lights working. You need to look at where the motor is signing off...and never rev it there. With the stock cam, it might be hurting you going past 5,000 RPM.

And drive it like you stole it. That can be worth 5-tenths! :D

also practice makes perfect. Keep going to the track you will be cutting your times down the more you go to the track. Steven

QWKSNKE
07-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I second what Matt and Steve said. Takes practice, sticky tires and shift the tranny like you don't care if it breaks.

Also, your intake and t/b are not going to net you any gains until you put heads and a cam in the car. Not saying that you wasted your money on them but they are pieces to a puzzle that you have not completed yet.

redhorse
07-07-2007, 08:51 AM
These other guys know alot more than I do but it is very hot to be trying to make passes. The cooler it is the better your times will be too.

Also, when I invested in some drag radials, even thought they were very well used up, it improved my times dramaticly.

oo-gonzo
07-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Guy's! I know that I need to work on it ( driving & the car ), but with 3.73's and slicks can the car really get into the 13's? I wanted to put heads, GT-40 p's to be exact, but I couldn't afford it at the time.
Should I work towards heads, a cam and 3.73's or should I try and hold out for a 351w that I want. Or should I just try to find an already built fox body/ coupe to trade for? lol

Skillet
07-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Should I work towards heads, a cam and 3.73's or should I try and hold out for a 351w that I want. Or should I just try to find an already built fox body/ coupe to trade for? lol

Only you can decide that. There is no replacement for displacement no matter what the imports say. If you really want a 351 then hold out for it. If you buy a car already built there is no telling what you would be getting, plus it isn't any fun.

Wickd GT
07-11-2007, 05:14 AM
The car will run, when you decide to stay off the damn rev limiter!!! If the car feels like it slows down a bit when you shift at the 2nd to 3rd gear, you are hitting it and staying on it. Short shift, 1st-2nd at 5000 and 3rd- 4th at 5500 rpm. Your stock gears are not helping at all, to get the car moving out the gate.

Edgar

QWKSNKE
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Definitely need to throw some 3.73's in there

99LS1
07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
The replacement for displacement is forced induction ;)

Wouldn't hurt to dyno the car either, make sure the a/f isn't too far off considering the assortment of parts on the car.

Italian LX
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Threre's not many imports that can put down 410/459 to the wheels on pump gas. :poke:

99LS1
07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
haha! not many domestics either by the looks of these threads.

Italian LX
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
haha! not many domestics either by the looks of these threads.
Don't limit yourself to this site. Go ahead and find me a pump-gas 4-cylinder that puts down 450 ft-lbs of torque.

99LS1
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Who cares. Do lighter cars need huge amounts of torque? Why do I need to make 450ftlbs if I can rev it to the moon and make power? If my basic setup nets 300whp/300ftlbs on pump, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Turbo 4 bangers make plenty of torque.

Arguing high hp DSM or EVO cars doesn't work, there's plenty of examples out there. Just google it, I'm around them enough and not going to nutswing for people. We're not talking about some cheesy 1.6 honda motor here.

DSMTimes.org if you can't find enough dyno slips would show you enough results. Sorry if they don't have the torque readings. Let's argue gas mileage next!

Brian, looks like nothings changed. Keep it coming! :D :)

Looks like there's still plenty to argue about on here :lol: :D

Skillet
07-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Revving to the moon is for F1 cars. :banana:

TheJeanyus
07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Revving to the moon is for F1 cars. :banana:
Looks like he needs to rev that Supra up to about 8k to have any fun. :rofl:

Italian LX
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Let's reflect back on how we came to this point. . .

Skillet started it by saying:
There is no replacement for displacement no matter what the imports say.

Then you came in and said:

Then I came in calling you out asking you to prove it and you just came back with a bunch of other points that were not even relavent to the original statement.

TheJeanyus
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
:gayfight:

99LS1
07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I will buy you a cookie for building a stroked motor that puts down huge torque. It always doesn't involving comparing torque numbers per your response. Or even hp numbers for that matter. Dyno numbers are not the end results, the end result is good 1/4. I think we all appreciate high hp charts but if it doens't put out a good time we laugh and call it a "dyno queen"

But back to the original statement, and I didn't ask you for any domestic hp/tq results as you asked me. First because I'm capable of searching google, and secondly this is a really dumb argument. Forced induction is a replacement for displacement, this isn't 1971 anymore. There are more than a few high hp cars running around, just search. I'm not going to waste time proving something I've seen, it's pretty prevelant these days. It's called high-revving motors that have forced induction in a light chasis. Or even a heavy chasis since some have bigger motors. Supra, 300zx, Evos, etc. Not rocket science!

At the import shootout in steele earlier this year, the bump in the street tire was 11.7! And that was for a top 8. Plenty of cars there didn't make it.

Italian LX
07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Just remember.... WWIP. ;)

99LS1
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Either way, a google search for "evo pump gas dyno"; "supra pump gas dyno"; "300zx pump gas dyno" and "dsm pump gas dyno" show what you're asking for. Within the first 5 responses no less

99LS1
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Either way building a high hp is impressive. I know it's a lot of work no matter how you go. I can appreciate what you went through the couple times I've tried for consistently fast times down the track and street driven.

edit: man, I've been gone too long. I had to search for what WWIP meant. I looked back at my posts and voila! I know understand why I said what I said :rofl: :rofl: :D

Skillet
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll take a boosted V8 over a boosted 4 cylinder every day of week. If boost was the replacement why is everybody putting LS1s into everything instead of turbo 4g63s or boosted H22s? There is no replacement for displacement. :popcorn: :jester:

Whatever you do to your 302 would be that much better if you had a 351.

99LS1
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Obviously within a car it will be almost always be better to get more displacement.

In a car vs car comparision, it's not that simple. The 03 cobra I'm storing with bolt-ons is just as fast my talon with similar boltons. And strictly on driving enjoyment, I'll take the talon.

And people put the engine that is meant for the chasis. If it's a small car people do put 4g63s and such into them. You don't need lowend torque if the car is light and rev high enough. The end result (fast time) is the same.

oo-gonzo
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
HEY! WHO'S THREAD IS THIS!? GEEEEZZZ, I must really suck to get this crap started! Sorry, Guy's! LMAO

TheJeanyus
07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll take a boosted V8 over a boosted 4 cylinder every day of week. If boost was the replacement why is everybody putting LS1s into everything instead of turbo 4g63s or boosted H22s? There is no replacement for displacement. :popcorn: :jester:

Whatever you do to your 302 would be that much better if you had a 351.
Everyone knows the best swap is a 2JZ with Nas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/duffer26/2jzswapwithnas.jpg

:jester:

Skillet
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Obviously within a car it will be almost always be better to get more displacement.

We win! :metal: :jester: What about the Z cars? They aren't exactly big. Or everybody's favorite swap, the FD. 1.3 to 5.7.

HEY! WHO'S THREAD IS THIS!? GEEEEZZZ, I must really suck to get this crap started! Sorry, Guy's! LMAO

Hey I told you the 351 would perform better than the 302. :chleader:

Everyone knows the best swap is a 2JZ with Nas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/duffer26/2jzswapwithnas.jpg

:jester:

2JZ! No shit!

CrazyInBlack
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
:rofl:

QWKSNKE
07-13-2007, 04:49 AM
:rofl: