StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   heater core woes (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=7909)

streetstang88 11-18-2006 05:17 PM

heater core woes

the heater core in my 89 5.0 left me a gift in my floor board ........ is it worth trying at home ive never replaced one in a mustang ive got it bypassed
but its kinda cold .....thankful for any tips

banditmwp 11-18-2006 05:19 PM

You can try it at home, but you will basically have to remove the whole dash. :notnice:

streetstang88 11-18-2006 05:21 PM

daumn...i was afraid of that ,,,will be pricey if i take it somewhere

Hotrod 11-18-2006 08:25 PM

Its not hard to remove the dash. It just takes time. (I think I got it out in an hour and I had never messed with it before). You also have to remove the console to get the dash out of the car.

joker 11-18-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotrod (Post 103325)
Its not hard to remove the dash. It just takes time. (I think I got it out in an hour and I had never messed with it before). You also have to remove the console to get the dash out of the car.

Yea it really isnt that bad, just time consuming. You have to remove the center console, unhook the dash harness from the rear harness and eec harness, remove guage cluster, speaker covers, drop the steering wheel, then you can drop the dash. Not a bad idea to unhook the dash harness from inside the engine bay, but not a must do either. Figure about a 4 to 8 hour job if you do it yourself, depending on how mechanically inclined you are. Someone who has done it a time or two could probably do it from start to finish between 2 to 4 hours. From a shop, I would expect it to be around 4 hours of labor.

FastRedPonyCar 11-18-2006 09:38 PM

yeah back in auburn, one of my roomates got his dad's F150 and the week after, the heatercore took a leak all over the floorboard as well. As I was leaving for work one morning, a guy that used to be the head mechanic at a ford dealership showed up with a tool kit and new heater core parts. As I was coming home that evening he was leaving.

It's not easy but it has to be done. Antifreeze fumes can wreak havoc on your sinuses. Whitney's volvo's heaetercore was leaking too but it was an interior leak so we couldn't actually see fluid but you could smell it. Volvo makes a small access panel on the firewall for easy access right to the core. Guy that did the work said it took him 30 minutes to swap them out. :D

Catang5oh 11-19-2006 07:45 AM

i did mine without removing the dash completely from the car, i unbolted it and pulled it as far back as possible on the right side, it was very time consuming and tedious, but it came out after a little pushing and pulling here and there.

ncontt 11-19-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar (Post 103327)
yeah back in auburn, one of my roomates got his dad's F150 and the week after, the heatercore took a leak all over the floorboard as well. As I was leaving for work one morning, a guy that used to be the head mechanic at a ford dealership showed up with a tool kit and new heater core parts. As I was coming home that evening he was leaving.

Done one of those before too....ARGGGHHHHHH the F150 is wayyyyyy worse (IMO) like they said, not hard just hard to get to

QWKSNKE 11-19-2006 09:37 AM

pretty sure that shop labor is based off of 6 hrs. If it is a factory non-a/c car you can change it in 20 minutes

04 Mach1 11-19-2006 10:22 AM

They not that bad just don't get in a rush like they said pull the console drop the column and pull back the passenger side. If you have ac you will have to evaculate the system.