StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Typhoon or Cobra upper and lower? (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=9343)

88 Sleeper Coupe 05-14-2007 07:24 PM

Typhoon or Cobra upper and lower?

Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!

joker 05-14-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe (Post 119803)
Hey guys.. back again.. still gathering all my information so I can buy my parts for this winter. Can someone tell me which flows better? The typhoon wasn't listed on that sticky thread with the graph.

Does the typhoon upper and lower flow better than the cobra upper and lower? I plan to stick with the b303 cam and go with gt40p heads with crane cam roller rockers so should I just go with the cobra upper and lower? I can get it brand new online from FRPP for about $380 shipped for the cobra upper and lower with gaskets and hardware.

Thanks!

I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

If it was me doing a build, I would go with a street heat from trickflow. You'll see better numbers than the other two, and the cost isnt that much more in the long run.

QWKSNKE 05-14-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joker (Post 119810)
I would go for the cobra upper and lower out of those two options personally. The typhoon is an eddy performer knock off, and not a very well cast peice at that. If I was set on the typhoon design, I would spend the extra $100 or so and just buy a performer.

+1...

CrazyInBlack 05-14-2007 08:12 PM

the Cobra seems to be a great intake

slvrbullit 05-15-2007 07:08 AM

Well I am biased on this one since I have a Typhoon on my car. The typhoon is a Performeer RPM Clone so it would have close to teh same flow numbers as the RPM on the chart. I would agree with Jason and Lee on the casting quality if they were still new on the market but I recently installed one on Crimson Racings 94 and the intake did not have any excess caasting flash in any of the runners.

In choosing either one you will not be disappointed.

88 Sleeper Coupe 05-15-2007 11:13 AM

Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block :) that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.

coupe 05-15-2007 01:20 PM

It'll all go together just fine. Make sure the head-gaskets are on the correct way. There is a front and rear.

QWKSNKE 05-15-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Sleeper Coupe (Post 119860)
Well I thank you guys for the input but i think i'm going to go with the cobra upper and lower just because its a known hp gain.

I know this winter when I yank that big old 502... oops.. i mean.. little 302 small block :) that im going into this thing blind folded. Can someone please let me know if I'm going to have any issues bolting up the GT40P heads to my block and/or any issues bolting the cobra upper and lower to the gto40p heads? The car has long tubes so hopefully I won't run into any issues with the plugs.

Thanks guys.. when I start getting parts bought i'll post pictures but the tear down is about 6 or 7 months away.

Only issue you may have with the GT40p's is whether your current headers being compatible with them. Only certain headers work with those heads due to spark plug placement

88 Sleeper Coupe 05-15-2007 01:43 PM

Well hell i'll just take em to my buddies dad who managers an exhaust shop and have him make a couple cuts and welds if necessary I guess :)

I should have the weld drag lites by the end of the week and the cobra upper/lower on order.

86nu 05-15-2007 05:24 PM

if you can find an explorer from mid 97 and down to 95, with a V8 they had the Non P heads, and you dont have to use the oddball headers.

Also, a cheaper alt is an explorer upper and lower. Theres a guy in nc if you want his number, ships them and the heads UBBER cheap