StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   To carb or not to carb ... (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=6348)

1sicklx 05-17-2006 10:13 AM

To carb or not to carb ...

Somthing I've been giving a lote of thought to ... if I do build a stroker motor I'd save myself alot of money by running a carb'd setup seeing that I don't have a lot of the parts necessary for mass air EFI.

The case for the carb as I see it .. cheap, clean, simple ..

Case against EFI .. I would need upgraded injectors and MAF, and I would have to find a mass air eec, ect ...

The way it seems to me is I'd be saving myself a lot of money by running a carb, but I'd be sacrificing some of the benefits that mass air EFI could provide.

Now ... let's see some feedback.

QWKSNKE 05-17-2006 10:21 AM

Re: To carb or not to carb ...

I am a carb hater, so I would be biased :D

EZ SPEED 05-17-2006 12:16 PM

I wouldnt do a carb on anything that I planned on driving daily, but for a toy....carbs are okay.

1sicklx 05-17-2006 12:32 PM

Well, it wouldn't be a daily driver (already have a car for that) but that's not saying I wouldn't want it to be fairly reliable ... I mean what fun is a car that you can't drive.

What I'm looking at if I go EFI... I have the wiring harness for a non-mass air setup and stock rails.

I would have to upgrade to mass air and buy the following ...

75-80 mm MAF
24-30 lb Injectors
70-75 mm TB
Mass Air EEC
AFPR
255+ lph fuel pump
Intake .. Systemax or TFS R

That's a lot of money .... :(

Wickd GT 05-17-2006 02:48 PM

You all can kiss my ass, mine is carb and properly tuned you can drive it anywhere, I know I do now that the carb is tuned right, it is fun when you open them 4 barrels and smoke the tire about 50ft, he,he, LOL

Edgar

1sicklx 05-17-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickd GT
You all can kiss my ass, mine is carb and properly tuned you can drive it anywhere, I know I do now that the carb is tuned right, it is fun when you open them 4 barrels and smoke the tire about 50ft, he,he, LOL

Edgar

What would you do if you had to start from scratch .. carb or EFI?

Craig K. 05-17-2006 04:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with running a carb, however if you ever planned on supercharging or turbo, the EFI is more tunable.

As far as carbs not being reliable, I drove my car more than 30k miles ran mid 12's and never even tuned it (and got 22+ mpg on the road with 4.10 gears).

1sicklx 05-17-2006 05:00 PM

the only power adder that would ever see the engine is perhaps nitrous at some point in the future.

onebad12 05-17-2006 05:07 PM

I just went from EFI to carb becouse I thought it would be cheaper, I was wrong. After you buy a good carb and ignition fuel pump intake and plumbing it I spent alota money. So carb is not as cheap as some think. You could convert cheaper then I did, but buying cheaper stuff will hurt in the long run.

1sicklx 05-17-2006 05:10 PM

You have to bare in mind that I'm not converting from one to the other, I'm starting from scratch. Thanks for sharing. :chug: