StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Chassis, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brakes & Tires (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Q1a K Member Question. (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=16209)

jonosranger 05-16-2010 08:53 PM

Q1a K Member Question.

I have been researching this. it seems as if this is the one you can use stock control arms on. my question is i have heard that when you use stock control arms it moves the wheels forward 1 inch. is this true? second i dont want to hear it cause im gonna use stock control arms. i am doing this so i can use stock springs for the street. im gonna have to change k member anyway for this little project so i thought bout goin tubular.

rtusnake 05-16-2010 09:22 PM

Every Qa1 I have seen moves the wheels forward with stock or tubular a arms. You can use spring perches and still use the stock springs with a tubular arm.

jonosranger 05-17-2010 05:11 AM

Thats what i was thinkin. i dont want that. i want it to stay centered

SlowJoe 05-17-2010 05:15 AM

Cars like mine the wheel looks to far back anyways. not sure on yours.

jonosranger 05-17-2010 06:48 AM

Hmm. Have to check.

coupe 05-17-2010 07:48 AM

I have been running the QA1 on stock control arms for several years. The wheels are only very slighty farther forward, but hardly noticable. I have skinnies, so no clearance problems either. I run the coilover conversion kit from Strange, so if you need spring perches for a QA1, I have a set lying around with your name on them.

Only thing bad about running stock control arms is the rubber bushings...I notice a little shake/vibration at certain speeds under braking, but changing them out might eliminate that. My manual steering setup also makes everything feel a bit more "solid" and you get alot of feedback in the road. But it drives pretty decent.

jonosranger 05-17-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coupe (Post 204639)
I have been running the QA1 on stock control arms for several years. The wheels are only very slighty farther forward, but hardly noticable. I have skinnies, so no clearance problems either. I run the coilover conversion kit from Strange, so if you need spring perches for a QA1, I have a set lying around with your name on them.

Only thing bad about running stock control arms is the rubber bushings...I notice a little shake/vibration at certain speeds under braking, but changing them out might eliminate that. My manual steering setup also makes everything feel a bit more "solid" and you get alot of feedback in the road. But it drives pretty decent.

cool i will have to look around for the best price on one. i was looking at some and the spring perches came with the k member and some they didnt. i will hit up up if i need them.:metal:

Dale McPeters 05-17-2010 12:28 PM

Also look at the new AJE design too.
The new ones are nice IMHO....you can swap motor mount perches for just about any engine without having to buy a new k-member....:nice:

NightHawk756 05-21-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale McPeters (Post 204654)
Also look at the new AJE design too.
The new ones are nice IMHO....you can swap motor mount perches for just about any engine without having to buy a new k-member....:nice:

Exactly! I've had both(QA1 on my 87 coupe and AJE on my 95 GT) and the AJE was waaay better quality IMO. ;)