StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   i need help (lightning) (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=10395)

Adam B 10-12-2007 11:07 AM

i need help (lightning)

I have a 2001 Lightning, it has a JLP built motor, stage 3 cams, motoblue 2.75upper pulley, predator programmer, and I really don't know what the lower pulley is. Anyways, it had would bog down when you would get in the boost and I thought it needed plugs so I put plugs in it, TR6s, it had Denso IT24s in it, well turns out that it had water in the gas. So, we dropped the gas tank, got all the gas out, changed the fuel filter, and i drove it down the road and it ran fine for like 7 seconds, then it just developed a dead skip. Before, the bogdown/skip was only when you would get in the boost and now it it is all the time. The only CEL i have it an o2 sensor. I don't want to throw a bunch of parts at it that it doesn't need and I don't want to do anything to hurt the motor. The truck REALLY needs be tuned but I need to get the skip fixed before I put it on the dyno. :pray:

EZ SPEED 10-12-2007 12:00 PM

Do a compression check to rule out cylinder / valve problems , and this also gives you an opportunity to recheck the plugs again.

btw...what is the plug gap set at?

after checking these things...and you dont find anything post back up on here or call Brad this weekend while he is over at my house and I might can come up with some more things to check for ya.

Adam B 10-12-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZ SPEED (Post 132342)
Do a compression check to rule out cylinder / valve problems , and this also gives you an opportunity to recheck the plugs again.

btw...what is the plug gap set at?

after checking these things...and you dont find anything post back up on here or call Brad this weekend while he is over at my house and I might can come up with some more things to check for ya.

I gapped the plugs at 28...Is that too low? I will check those other things. Thanks

QWKSNKE 10-12-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZ SPEED (Post 132342)

+1

Do you guys have a scanner on the lot? You should be able to check and see if you might have a coil pack dying

banditmwp 10-12-2007 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 132368)
+1

Do you guys have a scanner on the lot? You should be able to check and see if you might have a coil pack dying

:stupid:

Coil packs are a big seller on the 5.4's...trust me on this one ;) BTW I was at the Oxford O'Reilly today, if I had known that was your truck I'd have had the other Matt send a better fuel filter.

EZ SPEED 10-13-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam B (Post 132348)
I gapped the plugs at 28...Is that too low? I will check those other things. Thanks

Nah, for that truck .028 - .030 would probably be good... since the max boost is unknown

Adam B 10-13-2007 04:17 PM

Checked the compression last night and it was perfect on all cylinders. The truck has Accel coilpacks..I put the scanner on it and there are no codes except for an o2 sensor.

banditmwp - no prob..im sure that one will get the job done for now..

QWKSNKE 10-14-2007 07:32 AM

Do you have a fuel press gauge in the cab? What is it reading?

Adam B 10-22-2007 06:37 AM

It was a coilpack.

EZ SPEED 10-22-2007 06:42 AM

glad you figured it out :nice: