StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Project Cars (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   93 Lightning Turbo Buildup - - Official Thread (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=3804)

EZ SPEED 10-08-2005 04:58 AM

93 Lightning Turbo Buildup - - Official Thread

This will be the official thread for this buildup. :banana:

I will post more pics and such as I progress through the installation and keep it all in here so there wont be a lot of smaller post floating around.

After collecting parts for the past 5 months, I now have everything needed for the Intercooled Turbo setup on my 93 Lightning.

All the hot/cold pipes were designed and built by Dave Pickrel of Pickrel Performance in Ohio.
This is the second kit that he has made for the "stock" style Gen 1 Lightnings. Dave has built quite a few "race" only setups for Gen 1's but they were not practical for me, I wanted to retain the factory air conditioning, power steering, etc. I also will be using the factory Speed Density computer whereas the first truck to receive this kit was a mass air tuned truck. So we will have to see how this works out.

I plan on starting the install today. The first item of install will be the PowerStroke diesel intercooler. It takes some modifications to the core support, hood latch, and transmission cooler assembly to get it to fit properly, so this will be one of the two most time consuming parts of the build.
The second most time consuming part will most likely be the inline fuel pump install which I plan to do last.

I am sure this will take a couple of weeks since I plan to take my time and enjoy the buildup.

Once its all together, Lee (QWKSNKE) has volunteered his tuning skills to get all running with the TwEECer before heading to the dyno. I plan to keep this as my daily driver so there wont be any earth shattering dyno numbers out of this one. The T70 is capable of 800 flywheel horsepower, or about 650 rwhp.

But, I plan to take it from the 240 rwhp that it has now into the 400 rwhp range and that should be enough.
Remember that this motor is completely stock internally with 209,000 miles and has never even had the valve covers removed, and I am not sure what kind of power the transmission can take (it currently has about 90,000 miles on it since the last rebuild). So "about" 400 rwhp should be sufficient for now.

This truck has to be reliable since it is my daily driver, and I beat on it and abuse it HARD every day.

Here is a list of the parts pictured:

Ford PowerStroke Diesel Intercooler
Grey powdercoated "cold" side piping
3.5" Aluminized Exhaust system
3.5" Dynomax Ultraflow welded muffler
3.5" powdercoated exhaust tip
Miscellaneous clamps, silicone couplers, etc.
Walbro 255 Inline Fuel Pump and 42# Injectors
Turbonetics Variable Boost Control kit
Vortech Mondo Bypass Valve
Master Power T70 Turbo
Turbo headers and misc. "hot" side piping
Braided lines for oil control to and from the turbo
Copper header gaskets
Autometer Phantom Boost Gauge
AEM Wideband 02 Kit
Mustang Dash pod for custom gauge mounting
K&N Air Filter 4" inlet
And more misc. clamps

Some of the pieces not shown in the picture:
TwEECer computer tuner (already installed in the truck)
Tial 38mm Wastegate (late shipment, should be here Monday)

http://myweb.cableone.net/sixspdz28/93turbo002.jpg

The Master Power T70 Turbo !!!

http://myweb.cableone.net/sixspdz28/93turbo004.jpg

And the 2 - 1/16" Boost gauge compared to the 3.5" Exhaust tip !!!

http://myweb.cableone.net/sixspdz28/93turbo005.jpg

QWKSNKE 10-08-2005 05:14 AM

Re: 93 Lightning Turbo Buildup - - Official Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB ZILLA
Once its all together, Lee (QWKSNKE) has volunteered his tuning skills to get all running with the TwEECer before heading to the dyno.

:eek:

Tuners will be QWK, Italian, and.....

Dale Mc. :D

EZ SPEED 10-08-2005 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE
:eek:

Tuners will be QWK, Italian, and.....

Dale Mc. :D

:yup:

QWK - tuner
Italian - datalogger
Dale Mc. - TECH SUPPORT :jester:

Craig K. 10-08-2005 06:59 AM

This is going to be a good thread, thanks Eric!

Italian LX 10-08-2005 07:51 AM

Awsome! :metal:

. . . now hurry up and get it done before Track Day so I'll have something to drive after I blow my motor up on the dyno. :D

EZ SPEED 10-08-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
Awsome! :metal:

. . . now hurry up and get it done before Track Day so I'll have something to drive after I blow my motor up on the dyno. :D

:lol: :rofl:

Disney Lincoln 10-08-2005 08:27 AM

This is going to be an awesome project!

Shorty 10-08-2005 08:36 AM

that is going to be sick KB. :nice:

CrimsonRacing 10-08-2005 09:10 AM

Eric..........that is one very nice project you got going there........

Looking foward to the updates......Are you building the '93 for FFW in Atlanta by chance or is this just something new for Daddy to play with on occasion?

As for mine........I have so very much wanted to participate in the TS part of FFW ever since I got the '88 back in 2000 and now it seems this is my best chance.

I figure it will take me from now until about late March before all the parts are collected for the '94 and then have it installed,tuned and ready for the trip to Atlanta.......

Dont'cha just luv NEW STUFF.............. :metal:

EZ SPEED 10-08-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRacing
Eric..........that is one very nice project you got going there........

Looking foward to the updates......Are you building the '93 for FFW in Atlanta by chance or is this just something new for Daddy to play with on occasion?

As for mine........I have so very much wanted to participate in the TS part of FFW ever since I got the '88 back in 2000 and now it seems this is my best chance.

I figure it will take me from now until about late March before all the parts are collected for the '94 and then have it installed,tuned and ready for the trip to Atlanta.......

Dont'cha just luv NEW STUFF.............. :metal:

This is just something I have wanted to do since the first week I owned the truck. Now about a year and a half later its gonna happen. ;)

Just like you Richard, I had a dream and all the parts and pieces are coming together. :nice:

Yeah, make Damn sure you have your car ready for FFW. This year was my first to participate in the True Street Class.....and I am hooked. We had a blast even though we were in a bone stock Mach 1. The cruise and the friendships are the best parts. I hope to do it every year from now on.
Also, when I went to Lightning Fest...I was in the True Street Truck class......exactly the same as FFW True Street but Lightnings instead of Mustangs :metal:

Also, thanks everyone for the compliments. I will update this as I start swapping stuff out. :chug:
Just another 1.5 hours here at work then I can go home and get started :banana: