StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Mod Motor Tech (4.6 & 5.4) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MAF cleaning...... (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=6568)

mustangmuscle 06-18-2006 05:39 PM

MAF cleaning......

Whats the best product to clean the MAF?
I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N filter, now its idling funny. Think I may have over-oiled, and gotten oil in the MAF......

Thanks!

redhorse 06-18-2006 05:58 PM

Re: MAF cleaning......

The second time I reoiled mine, I got too much oil on the filter. The car ran rough and smoked pretty good until it burned it off.

Italian LX 06-18-2006 09:19 PM

I've used rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Just be careful not to damage the sensor wires.

QWKSNKE 06-19-2006 05:02 AM

I have used carb cleaner in a spray can. Remove the MAF, spray in the sample tube, reinstall and wait a few minutes before cranking again

mustangmuscle 06-19-2006 08:37 AM

Thanks guys!
I had read to use CDC electrical contact cleaner on the MAF, but wanted to get ya'lls opinions first!:worship:
Thanks again!

Italian LX 06-19-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangmuscle
Thanks guys!
I had read to use CDC electrical contact cleaner on the MAF, but wanted to get ya'lls opinions first!:worship:
Thanks again!

That would probably work fine too; however, if it's really bad, you'll still need to use a Q-tip to get the junk off.

On a side note, be sure to know that cleaning an extremely dirty MAF can require a tune change if it was tuned while it was dirty. I ran into this problem earlier this year. I had my MAF transfer curve dialed in almost perfect and then I cleaned my MAF (actuall small chunks of black stuff came off of the sensor wires). After cleaning it, my curve was waaaaay off.

Scothew 06-19-2006 08:56 AM

I always used the CDC stuff.

lukem80 06-19-2006 10:58 AM

brake cleaner works good too.. I cleaned my MAF out right before they tuned my shit

mustangmuscle 06-19-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italian LX
That would probably work fine too; however, if it's really bad, you'll still need to use a Q-tip to get the junk off.

On a side note, be sure to know that cleaning an extremely dirty MAF can require a tune change if it was tuned while it was dirty. I ran into this problem earlier this year. I had my MAF transfer curve dialed in almost perfect and then I cleaned my MAF (actuall small chunks of black stuff came off of the sensor wires). After cleaning it, my curve was waaaaay off.

Thanks for the great tip!
Luckily, my dyno tune was done with a clean MAF. Probably why its idling like crap now....not so clean anymore.....

mustangmuscle 06-19-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scothew
I always used the CDC stuff.

I heard it was great stuff, gonna give it a try!

Thanks!