StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Handhelds (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   What is the difference in a SCT2 and a SCT3? (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=17122)

QWKSNKE 03-27-2011 08:58 AM

What is the difference in a SCT2 and a SCT3?

Got a deal on a CAI and SCT2 and before I buy any tunes I am curious if I should sale it and by a SCT3

Dale McPeters 03-27-2011 10:13 AM

Is it an X-Cal?

SlowJoe 03-27-2011 12:37 PM

i think X3 has more options. and bugs fixed in data log.

EHardy1971 03-27-2011 12:53 PM

I take it that it's unlocked Lee, but do you know how many tunes are left on it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoupe (Post 213826)
i think X3 has more options. and bugs fixed in data log.

:yup: And IIRC, you can send your X2 to SCT and have it re-programmed to X3 specs for about 100-$150 bucks (about the same price to get one unlocked). If you sell that X2 outright Lee, I may be interested in it for the Lightning if the price is right. :nice:

QWKSNKE 03-27-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale McPeters (Post 213821)
Is it an X-Cal?

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by EHardy1971 (Post 213827)
I take it that it's unlocked Lee, but do you know how many tunes are left on it?

:

I am not sure if I am reading your question right. As far as I know there are no tunes loaded on it. So I should be able to buy some and load them up whenever I have the money. Right? Or is there a limitation how many times this can be done?

SlowJoe 03-27-2011 01:11 PM

not sure on how many times you can do it.

01silver freak 03-27-2011 01:27 PM

i think they have three unlocks

EHardy1971 03-27-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 213829)
I am not sure if I am reading your question right. As far as I know there are no tunes loaded on it. So I should be able to buy some and load them up whenever I have the money. Right? Or is there a limitation how many times this can be done?

In the menu it should say whether it's locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, it should have 3 tunes on it. If it has 3, you're good to go. If it has 2 or less, the vehicle that has the other tune on it has to be returned to stock, otherwise you won't be able to use it on any other vehicle because it's locked to that one vehicle's VIN. Once it's completely unlocked (back to 3 tune files) it can be used on any vehicle (as long as it's a Ford, etc that the tuner is designed for) you choose. As far as buying custom tunes from SCT, you can buy and download up to 3 IIRC. If the tuner is locked, you can send it to them (or probably have them e-mail you the unlock files) for a fee of $150 from what I've read over on Lightning rodder. I was thinking about buying a used and locked tuner over there awhile back (they usually go for about $75ish) and having it unlocked for the L.

SlowJoe 03-27-2011 01:52 PM

And you can only change cars 5 times. my sct x3 only had one tune in it.

QWKSNKE 03-27-2011 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EHardy1971 (Post 213835)
In the menu it should say whether it's locked or unlocked. If it's unlocked, it should have 3 tunes on it. If it has 3, you're good to go. If it has 2 or less, the vehicle that has the other tune on it has to be returned to stock, otherwise you won't be able to use it on any other vehicle because it's locked to that one vehicle's VIN. Once it's completely unlocked (back to 3 tune files) it can be used on any vehicle (as long as it's a Ford, etc that the tuner is designed for) you choose. As far as buying custom tunes from SCT, you can buy and download up to 3 IIRC. If the tuner is locked, you can send it to them (or probably have them e-mail you the unlock files) for a fee of $150 from what I've read over on Lightning rodder. I was thinking about buying a used and locked tuner over there awhile back (they usually go for about $75ish) and having it unlocked for the L.

Yes it is suppose to be unlocked. I have to take the seller's word on it and will know for sure when I receive it.

Side note, I would NEVER consider buying a tune from SCT. Waste of money when you can buy from more reputable shops for the same price or less