StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Project Cars (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Turbo Fox project... (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=12162)

coupe 06-18-2008 08:41 AM

Turbo Fox project...

I've had my block, crank, rods, pistons, etc. for a while now. They've been "aging" in a corner of the shop because of other priorities. I pruned a few "smacktalk" posts out of this thread (including mine), since everything keeps getting delayed. LOL.

Engine will be a 331 and includes the following parts:

4-bolt R302 block
4340 forged crank
H-beam rods
Ross Pistons

Engine management will be a FAST classic sequential box.

Team Z suspension going under it along with tubular K-member and coilovers.
I have full intentions of driving the car on the street, to work, track, etc...

EHardy1971 06-18-2008 12:24 PM

I hear ya' Matt! I know the feeling,my coupe sat under the carport for 3 years with no engine/tranny in it while I built up my 306.Not having the free time to do it all at once can be frustrating!:banghead:

coupe 06-18-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EHardy1971
Not having the free time to do it all at once can be frustrating!:banghead:

:yup: yep. I had some of the parts before Italian LX even ordered his 418 stuff.

coupe 06-19-2008 03:55 PM

You power-adder guys who've built your motors...what kind of piston clearance did you have in the bore?

I have my sights set on a figure, but I'm curious as to what you guys used. And what type piston and bore size for the given clearances. :nice:

SkurdalenFox 06-19-2008 06:05 PM

Oddly enough, I was bored, and leafing through an engine building book. This is what the guy says in regards to forced induction piston clearance:

"I prefer to bore the cylinders to within .004" of the finished size, then hone each cylinder to fit a particular piston. In this way I can keep piston clearance to a tolerance of about .0003".
[...]
First using 220 grit stones, about .003" of material is removed to bring the bore to .001" from its final size. Then another .0005" is taken out with with 280 grit stones, and finally 400 grit stones are used to bring the bore to its final diameter. This result in a very accurate bore with a fine finish that requires very little break-in."

SlowJoe 06-19-2008 06:45 PM

give us some SPECS on the motor.:wiggle:

coupe 06-19-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkurdalenFox
...In this way I can keep piston clearance to a tolerance of about .0003".

Hmm..."Tolerance on a clearance"...probably along the bore. This must not be confused with a .0003 clearance alone between piston and cyl though! That would lock up in about two seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoupe
specs on the motor

Well, it's a 331. Compression is a modest 8.5:1 but I don't plan on leaving it naturally aspirated... It'll be Supernaturally Aspirated. :D

SkurdalenFox 06-19-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coupe (Post 154019)
Hmm..."Tolerance on a clearance"...probably along the bore. This must not be confused with a .0003 clearance alone between piston and cyl though! That would lock up in about two seconds.

Yes, yes. I was going to say something about this guy's horrible writing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coupe (Post 154019)

Supernaturally Aspirated. :D

Get that trademarked.

SlowJoe 06-19-2008 07:30 PM

so u going to have a hair dryer grey tapped in there with some long drop cords?:jester:

coupe 06-19-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoupe
so u going to have a hair dryer grey tapped in there with some long drop cords?:jester:

:shrug: whatever it takes to win as many paper races as possible around here. :D