StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8) (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Building a 393W (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=14146)

jonosranger 03-27-2009 10:48 AM

Building a 393W

Hey guys I am in the process of building a 351W. It is a 89 truck engine. I tore it apart to check everything of course. The pistons looked like you could swim in them cause the dish was so big lol. So I was goin to order a set of pistons for it. Everybody keeps telling me that since im puttin a set of pistons in it that i should go ahead and make it a 393. Ive researched it a little bit and seen you use 3.85 stroke crank, stock 351 rods, and 302 pistons. What do yall think? What crank would yall recommend, etc? Thanks guys in advance:metal:

coupe 03-27-2009 11:32 AM

Eagle has a cast crank for it that I know of... maybe forged too. :shrug:

And yes, the 351W stock rod will work and I know it's good up to at least 500hp or so. A stock 302 piston is also the correct pin height. A set of OE 5.0L pistons works nicely. The 393 is a real good budget stroker! I say go for it! :nice:

waypastcrazy 03-27-2009 12:13 PM

Lmao I knew it would stick in your mind. I think for the cost its not going to be much different but power wise it will properly tuned. Eagle is good. Adperformance crankshafts has killer deals on stroker cranks and kits. I know a lot of the bigblock guys buy from him. He has a link up over on 460ford.com but I can't get it on my blackberry. Go for it man!

waypastcrazy 03-27-2009 12:16 PM

Oh and prob do some port work. Lmao need to flow. An engine is only as good as its choke point.

QWKSNKE 03-27-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waypastcrazy (Post 179690)
Oh and prob do some port work. Lmao need to flow. An engine is only as good as its choke point.

+1!!!!
Heads and intake can make all the difference in the world

jonosranger 03-28-2009 08:26 AM

ok guys im on my way to get my c4 trans from leeh on here. im so excited. wat cam would yall recommend?

waypastcrazy 03-28-2009 01:06 PM

Lot of variables that make up cam selection. Comp. Stroke head flow ect. Ect ect.

97cobrasvt 03-28-2009 02:23 PM

[quote=jonosranger;179815]ok guys im on my way to get my c4 trans from leeh on here. im so excited. wat cam would yall recommend?[/quote]

Well that depends on the set up you are wanting. The thing you need to remember is what is your long term goal? Do you want to stay N/A or put a nitrous kit on it or even maybe a bit hair dryer or blower.. You need to deside what direction you want to go so you can pick the cam for your engine. I had a custom nitrous cam made for my car(it is a windsor also) and I am very pleased I went that route. If you want I can find the number for you? Edgar that is on this board recommended them to me and they where great.

Italian LX 03-28-2009 02:59 PM

I agree with both of the above; too many variables for any of us to recommend a cam without knowing what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97cobrasvt (Post 179841)
If you want I can find the number for you? Edgar that is on this board recommended them to me and they where great.

If it's the same people he recommended to me, it was Cam Motion.

http://www.cammotion.com/

You can register on their site and put in all your specs of the car and what you are looking for. They will design a custom cam for you and submit the specs. If you like it, they will grind it out for you.

It says they charge a fee for giving you the specs (I think it was like $25) which would go towards the cam if you decide to purchase from them, but they never charged me. I got the specs from them for free. I ended up buying from them; it cost $314 shipped.

The cam did exactly what I asked. I wanted a street duty cam that didn't need to spin high to make power and had a lot of torque down low. My 418 only put down 410rwhp, but the peak torque was 459. Also, the torque was above 400 somewhere around 2500 and didn't go back below until 4500 or so.

qkjuicedpony 03-28-2009 03:26 PM

I have a Cam Motions cam too.

You wont be dissappointed