StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   Project Cars (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   1998 Mustang GT Coupe - It's here, so let the fun begin (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=18153)

TheJeanyus 01-20-2013 08:03 PM

1998 Mustang GT Coupe - It's here, so let the fun begin

The good news - the car arrived today. :banana:

The bad news - the clutch is toast, the shocks/struts bounce around like a 70's model Lincoln, and it's slow as molasses. At least it was cheap. :jester: Seriously though, even though it's one of the least desirable modern Mustangs, the car is special to me.

I think I know what I want to do with the suspension and chassis bracing (MM Maximum Grip Package), and that's next on "the list". Brakes aren't as bad as I remembered from driving it back in July, but I already have Bullitt stuff to put on the front courtesy of Craigslist. Also have Hawk HPS pads and a set of Speedbleeders for the front and rear. I've already hit Coupe up for a clutch, aluminum flywheel, quadrant, cable, etc. :eric:

So, once I've recovered from all of THAT, here's what I'm wanting to do:
- Full exhaust (since the K member is coming out, it'll be "easy" to do long tubes)
- Aftermarket head unit w/ Bluetooth
- Upgrade speakers, add a small sub and amp
- 4.10s
- PI heads (if I get the guts, I may give porting them a shot) and intake, some sort of aftermarket cams
- What options do I have for tuning it myself? I don't mind datalogging and playing around with it (I dare say I might even enjoy it), but if it doesn't make sense money-wise on such a simple setup I'd consider just ordering a chip or having someone else tune it.
- Eventually I'd like some different wheels, a Cobra bumper, an S281 wing, and some kind of small cowl hood (Cervinis regular cowl or '95 R most likely).

It didn't get here until after dark, so I'll get some pictures soon. I need to clean it up first, too - it got FILTHY on the way here. Besides, it looks just like every other Mustang GT with chrome Cobra Rs. :jester:

BIGDATOWN 01-20-2013 08:58 PM

Moates quarterhorse for tuning software and a good wideband is all thats needed!

QWKSNKE 01-20-2013 09:10 PM

SCT use to sell software for the self tuner. Can't remember what it was called though. Instead of doing the pi swap, what about throwing a turbo or kenne bell on it? :shrug:

:nice: :nice: on the cosmetic plan.

TheJeanyus 01-20-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 224238)
Instead of doing the pi swap, what about throwing a turbo or kenne bell on it? :shrug:

1) Money
2) Temptation to go too far with it and "snowball" into a 600 rwhp car that I don't want to drive to work. :D

rtusnake 01-20-2013 10:25 PM

The sct is the pro racers package

QWKSNKE 01-21-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJeanyus (Post 224241)
1) Money

I was thinking a power adder would be cheaper than HCI
Quote:

2) Temptation to go too far with it and "snowball" into a 600 rwhp car that I don't want to drive to work. :D
yeah, I could see that

SlowJoe 01-21-2013 07:35 AM

Glad to see you back in the car game. Can't wait to see it

TheJeanyus 01-21-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 224243)
I was thinking a power adder would be cheaper than HCI

PI heads and cams can be found for $350 or so from what I've seen on Craigslist lately. The Bullitt intake will be pricey ($500+), but I may just go with a PI intake ($100-150) instead. If I end up doing aftermarket cams I'll try to find a used set. We'll see how it goes. I'll have my hands full getting the suspension stuff sorted out for a while anyway. :eric:

coupe 01-21-2013 08:59 AM

I'll check on the SCT stuff too. I know a couple guys down there.

CrazyInBlack 01-21-2013 09:42 PM

:pics:

Oh, and :wave: