StreetStangs.net

StreetStangs.net (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumindex.php)
-   2.3 Tech (http://www.streetstangs.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   fuel pump question (http://www.streetstangs.net/showthread.php?t=13559)

coreydaniel 01-16-2009 08:25 PM

fuel pump question

I finally got my turbo fixed. I drove my car a couple times and it quit smoking. It builds very good boost, around 27-29 psi. But the power seems to level off at around 12-15psi. Im still running the stock pump which is like 88lph or some wimmpy stuff. Does anyone else think that it is just leaning out? I mean at 29 psi the car should be going nuts shouldnt it?

86GTPONY 01-16-2009 09:06 PM

You need to get a 255 lph in there soon! Ask coupe if he still has one. Your car is gonna run lean!!!

QWKSNKE 01-16-2009 09:27 PM

stock pump is waaaaaaaaaay to small!!

coreydaniel 01-17-2009 10:58 AM

is anyone else using the hy35? so when i put the big pump in should I see a huge gain in performance. Also, i want to get rid of the factory rev limiter, i dont like the idea of cutting fuel. Im going to let the MSD handle the rev limiting. Who is the best person to talk to about that?

QWKSNKE 01-17-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreydaniel (Post 171528)
is anyone else using the hy35? so when i put the big pump in should I see a huge gain in performance. Also, i want to get rid of the factory rev limiter, i dont like the idea of cutting fuel. Im going to let the MSD handle the rev limiting. Who is the best person to talk to about that?

I don't know about a huge gain but it will keep you from running lean and blowing the motor.
Quote:

Also, i want to get rid of the factory rev limiter, i dont like the idea of cutting fuel. Im going to let the MSD handle the rev limiting. Who is the best person to talk to about that?
You know, I hear this a lot. I don't buy it. If this were true, the manufacturers would not put this style of rev limiters on all cars. Cutting fuel completely off is not the same thing as running a lean fuel mixture.

SvoBrown 01-17-2009 05:10 PM

I like hitting the rev limiter. Makes me proud!!!
Injectors, fuel pressure, A/F.
My first setback was fuel on the dyno. Had a bad regulator. Then I replaced it piece by piece. power will fall badly and seeing the dyno guy lift at 4500 rpms lets you know you have a problem.
255 pump is about $112
AFR is about $80
42 lbs injectors $220
30 min's on the dyno will save you $$$$
Then your next upgrade should be brakes!
I have had the timing off enough to do that also. Never hurts to check everything,

A bad plug wire will drive you nuts!!

coreydaniel 01-17-2009 06:08 PM

I checked the cam timing with a string, dead on. But i did check the ign timing with a light and it was only set around 8deg. I turned it up to about 12 and went and drove it, big improvement. So ill keep tuning on it. I want some bigger injectors, but i dont think im ready for that yet.

86GTPONY 01-17-2009 08:07 PM

Running that much boost, you really need more fuel. Get the 255lph pump and at least a set of 42's...you'll be safer.

coreydaniel 01-18-2009 01:06 PM

were is the best place to get bigger injectors, and a chip burned to use them?

coupe 01-21-2009 09:32 PM

They need to be low-impedence. I can get probably anything you need, but let me know what the chip is going to be for... There's a couple folks here who play with chips for these things. I'll let them chime in. :nice: