Thread: turbo questions
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayzoid1
am i thinking this is gonna be too easy?
Yes.

1)Flipped shorty headers will require an oil filter relocation kit.
2)The "hotside piping" (crossover pipe, mounting pipe, flange, downpipe, and connecting it to existing or custom exhaust) will probably still be somewhere between $1200 and $1500.
3)You will need a wastegate, which ranges from about $200 to $500, depending on brand.
4)With a stickshift, you will want a "Blowoff valve" for gearchanges, etc. Figure another $200 or so.
5)Converting to blow-through carb can be done relatively inexpensively if you know about carbs, but it can also cost alot of money for the big names.

An intercooler is probably not necessary for 400-500hp on about 10-15psi...I've seen cars run fine without it, just make sure the timing is set appropriately.

Oh... and then there's the turbo. Something in the 400-600hp range I would assume? Something like this new from a reputable place would run $800-1200, depending on specific size. They can be found used for half that, but often times need a rebuild, which starts at about $300 and can escalate quickly.