View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
joker
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig K. View Post
I believe oil should come in the new compressor already, but if not I think you need to add it prior to charging the system.

I never really got into working on A/C systems, it’s the one thing I would pay someone for (as long as they offered a warranty).
From my understanding the compressors ship without any oil. According to the ford service manual and the Haynes manual you have to measure the amount drained from the old compressor in order to determine how much to add to the new compressor. For the dryer/accumulator you have to drill two holes in the bottom and measure the drained fluid to determine the amount for the new unit. If replacing the condenser or evaporator then you must add oil to those as well.

I can see why you would pay someone rather than messing with it yourself. It is a somewhat complicated system to work on from what I am learning. There seems to be quite a bit of difference in opinion on the subject when trying to gather info from forums, websites, and youtube videos. Personally, it is just much more cost effective and self sufficient to just learn it myself. When it is all said and done, I should have around $400 - $500 in it replacing the condenser, compressor, and accumulator as well as a complete system flush and recharge. I also hate having to search for a good, honest, dependable mechanic. Those aren't always easy to find, particularly in rural areas.

Edit: I was wrong about the oil. The compressor that I purchased comes with 3 - 4 oz of oil from the factory, you have to add more only if needed according to the manufacturer recommendations.

In case anyone else ever stumbles upon this, here is what Ford recomends in the service manual:

1. NOTE: Service A/C compressors are shipped without compressor oil. (I am guessing that this applies to Motocraft compressors that are sent to service departments. My after market did ship with oil)
Rotate the A/C compressor shaft six to eight revolutions while collecting oil in a clean measuring
device.
�� If the amount of oil drained from the old A/C compressor is between 85-142 ml (3-5
ounces), pour the same amount plus 30 ml (1 ounce) of clean PAG Refrigerant
Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) F7AZ-19589-DA (Motorcraft YN-12-C) WSH M1C231-
B or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.
�� If the amount of oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is greater than 142 ml
(5 ounces), pour the same amount drained of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-
134a Systems) or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.
�� If the amount of oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is less than 85 ml (3
ounces), pour 85 ml (3 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a
Systems) or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.
2. For the suction accumulator/drier, drill one 13 mm (0.52 in) hole in the suction accumulator/drier
cylinder and drain the oil into a calibrated container.
�� Add a quantity of new oil to match that drained from the old suction accumulator/drier
plus 60 ml (2 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or
equivalent.
3. For the A/C evaporator core, add 89 ml (3 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil
(R-134a Systems) or equivalent to the suction accumulator/drier inlet tube.
4. For the A/C condenser core, add 30 ml (1 ounce) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-
134a Systems) or equivalent to the A/C condenser core or the suction accumulator/drier inlet
tube.
5. Add 60 ml (2 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent
to the suction accumulator/drier inlet tube when carrying out each of the following repairs:
�� installation of a new A/C evaporator core orifice
�� installation of a new A/C compressor pressure relief valve (19D644)
�� installation of a new refrigerant line
�� repair of an O-ring seal leak
�� repair of a charge port leak

Last edited by joker; 06-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote