Thread: Project 347...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Bluethunder

Project 347...

Alright, as I mentioned in my last thread, my current(first!) project is building a 347 stroker using the 302 block from my '89 LX. I'm a decent tech, but i'm fairly new to the high performance aspect of the trade, so any help is greatly appreciated from anyone!

My goals are the following:
1. Definitely streetable/reliable(summer daily driver/weekend racer).

2. 300-350 RWHP(or more, whatever is realistic).

3. Would like to keep the compression ratio down if I decide to add a blower in the future.

4. Budget of $5000CDN(roughly $4000USD).

5. I'm setting a deadline for June/July...I hope

I've already ordered the stroker kit from Eagle and i'm pretty lost trying to figure out a good head/cam/intake combination. I've been leaning towards the Twisted Wedge top end kit from TF partly because it seems to be a complete kit and comes with everything...pretty simple. But how efficient will this combination work with a 347? Will the kit cam be sufficient? Or should i take a different road with individual components instead of a kit?

If that's the case, I realize that I have endless combinations. I noticed several of you use the AFR 165s and seem to recommend them to alot of users. Would these be an efficient head with a 347, or would the 185s be the better choice? Is valve float still an issue with them above 5000RPM? What intake/cam would you recommend with them?

I've also got a few other questions as well:
1. What size injectors/fuel pump are sufficient?

2. Do any modifications need to be done to the stock EEC to compensate for an aftermarket MAF/TB/larger injectors/increased displacement, etc...?(my guess is yes).

3. Those of you using the twEECer, have you had much luck with it and what are your recommendations? I'm very interested in tuning and would love to learn more about it in the future. So it's definitely on my "to-do" list for this build.

4. Will the stock 5spd be strong enough to support the increased hp?

5. Any clutch recommendations?

Basically, i'm very open minded here and I would love to hear everyone's opinion! If anything else comes to mind, i'll post it.

Thanks for the help
Bluethunder is offline   Reply With Quote