View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Ponygirl
Pink Ladies

Calling all auto mechanics, etc.!!!!

As you all know, my Focus is FUBAR....after the assessment today, I'll be surprised if they don't total it out. Anyway, here is my problem:

2001 SVT Cobra with approximately 35,000 miles. Suspension mods and tri ax shifter, 3:73 gears, no other modifications. The car was hit HARD in the rear in March 2005 (ya'll know that too). In October on my way back from the beach, the car started cutting out when accelerating in any gear and when it got hot. Almost like the fuel filter was getting stopped up. Nothing was done until a few months later when it got worse and would go dead. The fuel filter was replaced and it ran good for a few days and then back to cutting out and going dead when it got hot. Another month or so went by and the air filter and plugs were replaced. It ran good for another day or so. Last Friday once it got hot, it cut out, it died and I could not get it started it was spitting and sputtering. You could smell the egg smell of the catalytic converter and after it died you could smell almost an electrical burning smell. After it cooled off, it cranked and I barely got it home. Lee swapped out the cats with another pipe and cleaned the Mass air and it ran ok today until it got hot and it cut out on acceleration and eventually died in the middle of the road. When I pulled in the carport after stunt driving the damn thing, I smelled the electrical smell again. Note: the car is not running hot and all gauges are normal and no check engine light. I need help. I've got to have a car to drive to work and I can't figure out what is wrong with the Cobra. I know this is long but any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated. I have until 7:30am tomorrow to get this thing running.
Ponygirl is offline   Reply With Quote