Thread: Breakin Woes
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
1sicklx
BamaMafia 4 Life

Angry Breakin Woes

Alright, pull up a chair ...

After setting up the rocker arms for a second time the car fired right up smooth as a whistle. Everything checks out so time for a test drive.

First test drive ... car runs strong but doesn't want to idle once it gets warmed up. Cars develops coolant leak (and discover that water temp sensor is bad [always reads in the "green" zone) ... car runs hot. cool it off, fill the radiator, limp it home.

Cause of coolant leak turns out to be a split hose. Changed the hose. Everything checks out ... time for another drive.

Car still runs fine, but won't idle once it gets warmed up. Decide to go ahead and try the C&L 73mm MAF for $hits and giggles just to see if it makes a difference.

The C&L works great (surprisingly). No missing, or sputtering, Idle cleared up (or so it seemed) car ran smoother and seemed to breath a lot easier. Test drive complete ... all seems well.

NOT.

Now remember that we discovered that the water temp sensor was bad ... well after handing the car over to Tracie tonight the car decides it doesn't want to idle again ... then steam ... running hot. I had placed blame on the coolant hose splitting for it running hot the first time, but that seems not to be the case. As there is no leak to be found now.

I'm going out now to change the thermostat to a 180 deg in case the one that's in there is faulty. Also going to try to dig up a sensor for the water temp gauge so she'll have a little more warning when it starts getting to warm. Half-tempted to go ahead and put the new waterpump off of the black car on it just for good measure.

All in all, I have to admit this build has thrown a lot more curve balls than the 89 did. It will get sorted out ... just needed to vent a little. It's frustrating how a straight forward build up that could have been finished in one day has been delayed by parts shipping, faulty stock parts, and flat out bad luck.

So ... as it stands ... C&L MAF ... cooling system
1sicklx is offline   Reply With Quote