StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
ERStettin

Look what SPEC did for me.(pictures)

After I pulled the engine to have Loren (my engine builder) go through it, I decided to have my clutch stuff looked at too. I have a lightweight SPEC pressure plate (rebuildable and aluminum), a SPEC stage 3 clutch and a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. I called SPEC and talked with Matt. He convinced me to send it all down to him and they would look it over and fix things up for me.

Everyone knows what a year old clutch setup looks like after you beat the piss out of it. I pulled everything and sent it down to SPEC and this is what they sent back to me. I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was just replacements for my old stuff but it was actually my original components reworked. The stuff looks brand new! Anyways, I thought I would post this for those with SPEC clutches that want to get their stuff rebuilt. They do a GREAT job and are able to rebuild everything to like new. I can’t wait to get the engine back and start running the car again.

I also bought a LSM on head valve spring tester from Jon Kaase. I thought I would post a good picture of it here for those that care….lol.

Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

10.74 @ 127.68 (best so far)

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
ERStettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
86GT

Re: Look what SPEC did for me.

Looks good!

I have the same clutch (483 stage 3) and it chatters a bit. I was told by Spec that this is normal because of the kevlar. That is not what I wanted to hear. He told me that the stage one would not chatter but obviously it would not hold up under 400 hp.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
ERStettin

Hey Clint, good to see you! The car is running great. Thanks for all that initial tuning help. I got the car down to a 10.75 @ 126+ at 3317 lbs. It is running great.

Maybe you ought to try the SPEC stage 2+ clutch. I bet that would hold 400 hp. Maybe Matt can chime in here.

Good to see you Clint.

Ed Stettin
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
Old 03-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
86GT

It been a while, but glad to see you made it over to this fourm. Wow 10.75, that is awsome.

I believe the spec two is right at the verge of the 400hp.

A9M, TwEECer, 306ci, 73mm C&L w Tuner Tube, Cobra Intake, 42# inj, Edelbrock 6037, E303 cam, 155 fuel pump, FPR, 70mm TB, E-Fan, 3.55 gears, Powerdyne 9psi actual 5psi...way more.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
ERStettin

I meant to put the Stage 2 + in there Clint. I have gone back and edited that post.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
86GT

Yah I looked at that too. They are both made out of Kevlar.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

I installed a 2+ in my cobra last weekend. I am interested to see how it holds up once I get the break in miles on it
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
1Quik85GT

Lee

I would have thought you would need a stage 3 in your car??? Thats what I have, and I should be testing it out at the track this Sunday when I get back from Memphis,TN
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
coupe
Super Moderator

The 2 is straight-up Kevlar...both sides. The 3 is the 6-puck and those pads are a ceramic-metallic matrix. The 2+ is a 2 on the flywheel side and a 3 on the pressure plate side...not quite the capacity of a 3, but nicer drivability.

The first thing you'll notice with a SPEC is the quick-release/quick-engage pressure plate...it gives a very nice crisp feel to the clutch. And the clamp loads (force holding the compnents together) are the best in the industry.

Anyways, glad to help Ed. One thing to clarify: SPEC used to sell fidanzas, but we make your own now...supply couldn't be met with Fidanza...we sold more of their own than they did. We still carry their stuff for a few of the less-popular applications. But all our mustang, camaro, vette, VW, Audi, etc...is made in-house...CNC'd billet.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
ERStettin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Anyways, glad to help Ed. One thing to clarify: SPEC used to sell fidanzas, but we make your own now...supply couldn't be met with Fidanza...we sold more of their own than they did. We still carry their stuff for a few of the less-popular applications. But all our mustang, camaro, vette, VW, Audi, etc...is made in-house...CNC'd billet.
I will change this in my initial post Matt. Thanks for the clarification.