StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #11
Wickd GT
Friends

Re: Brass found in my oil filter. (pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Quik85GT
Is the bearing the "H" bearing or the street type bearing, the H is the race bearing!!

Looking at the bearing, it is an H bearing, I recomend the P bearing, is what I have use all this time and I prep them with a piece of green dish washer pad, with warm dish washer soap water and then clean it up with cold water in 2 little cans. This will smooth the bearing and clean out any burrs in the bearing and the edges of the bearing. This will give a bit of clearance and the bearing fits perfect, I do it on the mains and the rods. If you are going to change the mains, I recomend King Bearings an excellent bearing.

Edgar
Wickd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
ERStettin

Quote:
what bearings are you using???
As Matt has said it is a Timken H bearing. It is the racing bearing and I am going to stick with this bearing and have it calico coated. My cam bearings are calico coated and they look great. I am going to have the rod and mains calico coated. I know it won't prevent it from happening again, but it will delay it a tad.
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

10.74 @ 127.68 (best so far)

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
ERStettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
1Quik85GT

yea, it might help and it may not, my dad and I had the bearings coated in our super stocker, but the bearings still didnt come out any better, but of course what is was, was the fuel we were using. 14 to 1 compression we were using 114 gas, but it needed 120 octane. Make sure you stay consistent with your gas, and use the octane that you need..good luck buddy

also, when you cross the finish line, shut the motor off, I wouldnt let the motor slow the car down.
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
ERStettin

Yeah, I don't engine brake for long. I know that is not a good thing to do. The calico coatings are primarily for lowering the parasitic drag. As long as the engine is open, we are going to do this. I figured it might help a little with bearing life as well. I don't know. I guess I will find out the next time I open it up.
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
Old 03-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #15
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
also, when you cross the finish line, shut the motor off, I wouldnt let the motor slow the car down.
why is this?
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
93Cobra#2771
The Kocky One

It has something to do with engine oiling, IIRC. Seems like it can also contribute to spinning a bearing? Someone help me out here...

Kocky will be back!

93Cobra#2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
ERStettin

Well the Canton pan I have holds 7 quarts of oil and I also have a built in baffle and windage tray so the oil isn't going anywhere and this won't be a problem for my setup.

What I have been told on the engine braking that COULD affect me is when you let off the gas at the top end and don't clutch the car, that load is transfered to the crank which puts extra load on the thrust bearings causing them to prematurely fail.

I do engine brake until I know the car is under control and then I throw in the clutch. I will continue to do this as my car is a bit unstable (due to the suspension being very loose) at the top end. I don't think my bearing problem resulted from my engine braking though.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

interesting. i didn't know that
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #19
coupe
Super Moderator

Shutting motor off after a pass...I would not think it's a good idea. Explain the reasoning please.

Also, if there's plentiful oil-pressure, the crank is floating, no matter if it's under power, or slowing down with the car...At lease ideally it is.

The key is plenty of oil-pressure and flow into the bearings...for all of the issues discussed above.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
Shutting motor off after a pass...I would not think it's a good idea. Explain the reasoning please.

That's one way to check your plugs to make sure WOT a/f is correct.

Edgar shuts his down immediately after every pass to check his plugs
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy