StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Hotrod

clutch and flywheel

I took the tranny out of our 93 5.0 and Im goign to need a new clutch and flywheel. The clutch is gone and the flywheel has heat cracks everywhere. I need to know what is good clutch that is fairly cheap and what steel flywheel is fairly cheap and what is the cheapest aluminum one also. These also need to be good peices. Also if the clutch comes with a throwout bearing and alighment tool please tell me. Thanks for your help.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
DSkeet
IDK

Re: clutch and flywheel

SPEC is a great setup. Myself as well as a couple other people on the board here have recently purchased a SPEC clutch and some a flywheel as well. Good pricing and so far so good!

--2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51--
--2007 Lexus GS350 AWD--
--1958 Plymouth Belvedere aka "Christine"--
DSkeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Hotrod

Ive been kinda leaning to ward a spec clutch and possibly the flywheel. Is a stage one a decent clutch. Our car doesnt really have a lot of big mods but it has a quite a few bolt ons and a cam. It doesnt have any power adders.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

just have the flywheel 'turned' that will remove the heat cracks
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Hotrod

I've had people tell me that machining it will just temprarly remove the cracks. They said that the cracks will always be there. Some of them are pretty deep also.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
ERStettin

I have run FMS, Centerforce and SPEC setups and the best of them all BY FAR has been the SPEC setup.

I used to go through a clutch a season with the others easily. With the SPEC setups I have had much better reliability, performance and longevity. Their customer service is top notch as well. You can not go wrong with SPEC.

BTW, I have been running the SPEC stage 3 clutch for 3 years now and love it. If you want SPEC, talk to Coupe here on the site. His name is Matt and he works at SPEC. He can give you the ins and outs on the product. If you can't reach him here, just call SPEC and ask for Matt.

Good luck in whatever way you go. If you go SPEC, you will NOT be dissapointed.

Ed Stettin
Dart 360 (ADPerformance), FTI AFR 225, FTI Edelbrock Victor EFI, FTI Cam, Pro M 80 MM (42lb injectors), KOOKS Longtubes 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch to 3.5 inch collectors, Pro Motion TKO, FMS 4.88, Global West Suspension, ET Drags, TwEECer RT

10.74 @ 127.68 (best so far)

THANKS : Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com, Dave of www.jdsperformance.com, Walt of Pro Motion Transmissions, Jack of www.musclemotors.com, Brian of www.adperformance.com and Matt of SPEC clutches (www.specclutch.com)
ERStettin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
1Quik85GT

I have a steel flywheel from RAM if you are interested in one, I will let it go for 125.00, I resurfaced it myself, and it has removable weight balance on the back. Also like ER said, Coupe is really helpful with Spec clutches, I will let you know how it works tomorrow, I got a Spec stage 3 and this will be the first pass on it.
1Quik85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
banditmwp
Welcome to America!

Send a message via AIM to banditmwp Send a message via Yahoo to banditmwp

My wife (PonyChick) runs a Spec stage 1 and I just installed a Stage 2 in my 'vert yesterday. I have yet to have a problem out of either of them. Great products!

91 GT Convertible

2006 Nissan Titan LE Crew Cab
2014 Peterbilt 337/Marion 22' box
banditmwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
coupe
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod
...good clutch that is fairly cheap...steel flywheel fairly cheap and cheapest aluminum one also. These also need to be good pieces.
Cheap may not be the best way to get good parts.

But...the SPEC stuff is very competitively priced and a stage 1 does well for 300-350 hp. Beyond that, I'd go with a Stage2.

And the SPEC mustang flywheels have a replacable friction surface, so you never have to machine it again. This is for both the aluminum and steel wheels.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Hotrod

Can someone tell me what it means when a flywheel says 28oz or 50oz. balance. As far as I know our motor hasnt had any balancing work done to it if that matters.