StreetStangs.net  

Go Back   StreetStangs.net > Technical > Ford Pushrod Tech (5.0 & 5.8)
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #21
Robocop

Re: 1992 5.0 build up

Just when I thought I knew what I wanted I now have many more ways to consider this. How sweet would a 351 be and I could probably get close to my goal N/A with a good 351.....I am so confused now however I am leaning towards my original plan a little more. I did get to ride in a 91 GT with a 331 and I believe about 12lbs of boost. I was hooked right away and that loud whistle from under the hood made it even better. The louder the better for me and that peppy 331 just blew me away...so much different than a stock Mustang from what I remember....incredible

Ok I will try and narrow this down a little by certain areas. What would a good deal be on an upper and lower GT-40 intake run. Should I go mail order or anywhere local I could try?

QwkSnke that 306 combo sounds much like what I am looking for. How long has yours lasted and do you drive it pretty often? Hell if this can be done I also like the looks of that cobra intake. My plans for the body later include making this car a clone of the 93 Cobras as this is one of the best looking years in my opinion. I could just do the entire Cobra clone thing and go for a set up like yours.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #22
coupe
Super Moderator

What's your budget and just as important: a timeframe. If you can throw $10k at it, cool. But if it's going to be multiple steps to get there (like most of us), there are some great options.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #23
Robocop

There is no real time frame as the car has been stored for several years already. This is going to be a hobby car for me and I am in no real hurry.

My budget is most likely around 7 or even 8k. I have just paid off a personal loan that ran me 200 dollars a month. I plan to get another loan for my build up now that I have no payment. The problem is that I really do not know what I can use from my old motor. I really think I will try and buy all new stuff. The smaller stuff is going to rise the cost quickly I believe.

I am trying to make a list of everything that may come up and it is getting huge. Alternator,water pump,valve covers,pushrods,spark plugs,timing chain cover,ARP bolt kits...etc: This is the stuff that is killing my budget.

This car has really sat for at least 4 years. There is fuel in the tank and I am now wondering if I should drop the tank and flush it or even buy another tank. I know I can not use that fuel but should I even worry about that right now?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
Craig K.
Nothing new here

If you have a fuel leak then defiantly drop the tank and flush it.

I think that there are some Mustang retro places that now carry new tanks, that may be an option for you. Plus you'll need to drop it to upgrade your fuel pump anyhow.

If it were me, I think I would just store the original motor/trans set up in the corner of your garage.

Being that your the original owner of the car, someday the car may be worth something and if you have the original virgin engine it may add some value to the car.

It sounds like your wanting boost, so I think I would go creat motor 331 with AFR185 heads.

Are you set on a supercharger or would you consider a turbo set up?

The turbo's now days are really good compared to 10-15 years ago, but will add about $2k to the cost of a supercharger.
2011 KIA Optima GTS
Craig K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #25
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
Just when I thought I knew what I wanted I now have many more ways to consider this. How sweet would a 351 be and I could probably get close to my goal N/A with a good 351.....I am so confused now however I am leaning towards my original plan a little more. I did get to ride in a 91 GT with a 331 and I believe about 12lbs of boost. I was hooked right away and that loud whistle from under the hood made it even better. The louder the better for me and that peppy 331 just blew me away...so much different than a stock Mustang from what I remember....incredible

Ok I will try and narrow this down a little by certain areas. What would a good deal be on an upper and lower GT-40 intake run. Should I go mail order or anywhere local I could try?

QwkSnke that 306 combo sounds much like what I am looking for. How long has yours lasted and do you drive it pretty often? Hell if this can be done I also like the looks of that cobra intake. My plans for the body later include making this car a clone of the 93 Cobras as this is one of the best looking years in my opinion. I could just do the entire Cobra clone thing and go for a set up like yours.
We just built it last year. I think it has around 8k miles on it now. I haven't driven it much recently because I need to get a wideband sensor to finish tuning it and it is currently sitting on jackstands with the tranny out waiting on me to buy a clutch to put in it
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #26
Robocop

The 93 style Cobra has always been my favorite as far as looks go. This is why I plan to eventually turn mine into a clone of the 93 Cobra.

I am pricing out stroker Kits right now. I decided to use my block with a stroker kit instead of a short block motor. I just have to decide what company to use. D.S.S , Keith Craft , Coast , ...they make some nice stuff however it will most likely be a D.S.S. 331 stroker kit. If I plan on about 450hp do I really need to order the Forged stroker kit or is cast enough?

A little off topic but that Keith Craft stuff is expensive as hell...is it really that much better?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
NightHawk756
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop
If I plan on about 450hp do I really need to order the Forged stroker kit or is cast enough?
I suggest you look into atleast forged I beam rods and pistons. You could probably get away with a cast crank. But, if you can afford a forged crank I would go for it. But, alot of people seem to think that if your using the stock block, that the block would go before the crank. So, in essence, you'll just tear up your nice forged crank when the block splits. But, I haven't had experience with high HP cast crank/stock block combos, so others here might can add to this.

I suggest you also look into a good girdle to help keep the mains in check.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #28
qkjuicedpony

do not buy keith craft....please

if a stroker is what you want i can put you in touch with Pro line race engines in woodstock ga.they do all of our engines and are very experienced in small block ford stroker motors.they can put you a kit together and explain all that you will need.

give them a call tomorrow at 770-516-0745
Old 02-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #29
QWKSNKE
3v's are slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang756
I suggest you look into atleast forged I beam rods and pistons. You could probably get away with a cast crank. But, if you can afford a forged crank I would go for it. But, alot of people seem to think that if your using the stock block, that the block would go before the crank. So, in essence, you'll just tear up your nice forged crank when the block splits. But, I haven't had experience with high HP cast crank/stock block combos, so others here might can add to this.

I suggest you also look into a good girdle to help keep the mains in check.
I agree.
03 F250 SD.. Edge Evo, AFE Stage 1 CAI
08 GT. JBA axle back, FRPP springs, FRPP swaybars.. daughter's
01 Cobra vert... wife's

I need a new toy
QWKSNKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #30
qkjuicedpony

ive seen plenty of stock block applications make in excess of 500rwhp and last for quite a while...its mostly in your tune and how you treat it